Notices

trailer toolboxes

Old 04-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default trailer toolboxes

Show me some pics your trailer toolboxes if you would. Trying to get some ideas to add a little storage to the trailer for the usual stuff.

rectangular boxes mounted on the outside of the frame,
or will short (48") "sidemount" style pickup truck boxes work setting on top of (and behind) the frame, mounted as far forward as possible? What do you have?

All this is part of a trailer update including replacing a couple of split bunks, recarpeting them all, touching up paint, powerjack/battery/box, and coversion to Kodiak disc brakes, these drums are driving me nuts...

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: trailer toolboxes

Mine:

Where to buy:
http://www.mcclaintrailers.com/index.html
Old 04-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is mine it's easily removable,locks and has an inside hold down latch on both sides. I keep a bottle jack,tire iron,wood blocks,tie downs,cleaners,rags and a grease gun in it. Now all I need to do is paint it black

From Tractor supply or Farm and Fleet Whatever it's called
Attached Thumbnails trailer toolboxes-dsc00493-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Scott; 04-13-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Yep, I won't own another trailer without one. Bottle jack, a couple steel plates (for soft ground trailer tongue/jack placement), WD hitch bars, WD lever, grease gun, bearing grease, spare tie downs, a couple sets of bearings, gas vent catch can, 6 wheel chocks, and a few other things that I don't have to regularly move into and out of the truck.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-13-2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We had one on the MYCO the scarab sat on.. the only issue we had with it is that it would fill with water when we dunked the boat.. so we had to drill holes into the bottom of the box to drain out the water..
Old 04-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the smoth side style boxes better.The diamond plate just looks cheaper to me .

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...&highlight=box

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Registered

I think 48" pickup truck "side mounts" (the L-shaped ones) that are designed to sit on the bedside, and drop to depth behind, might be the ticket.

but I'll take more pics and ideas please.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is our current trailer. We have two 8' boxes on each side and a 4' box on each side. Myco does a great job installing the boxes. Notice how they put step plates at the ends of the boxes so that they blend in with the trailer for a nice clean look. This also gives people a place to stand instead of them being on top of the boxes.

Like the others mentioned, we carry tools and cleaning supplies in the boxes. This trailer has water tanks and a fresh water wash down system so we use the two little boxes on each side for hoses. One of the big boxes on the left carries filters and enough of each fluid (engine oil, drive oil, steering fluid, trans fluid, etc) to refill and/or completely change all of the fluids one time. This is great for extended trips. The other large box on that side carries the cleaning stuff.

The tools and small parts go in the big boxes on the other side of the trailer. We put them on that side because that is the side away from the road in case we need to pull onto the shoulder to make a repair. I don't want to be on the highway side of the trailer digging through a box looking for something and not being able to pay attention to the cars coming down the road. I figure that with it setup this way I won't normally need anything out of the boxes on the highway side of the trailer in the event of a breakdown on the road.

The trailer is back at Myco now having a big box installed on top of the gooseneck area. This box will keep the winch out of the weather and will also be large enough to store luggage or whatever else we want to put in there. Air compressor, small generator, spare transmission? The possibilities are endless.

Just remember that when you add a box and fill it with gear that it will add to the overall weight of the trailer. A single box won't matter for most, but depending on the size of the box, how many are added and what is stored in them, it may make a difference for some of the people that are right at their vehicle's towing capacity or trailer's weight rating.

I personally don't think that you can ever have too much storage space. I try to take everything that I think I might possibly need. Even if I don't end up needing it, somebody else might.
Attached Thumbnails trailer toolboxes-1.jpg   trailer toolboxes-2.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 04-16-2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:24 AM
Registered

those are nicely integrated.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this is part of a trailer update including replacing a couple of split bunks, recarpeting them all, touching up paint, powerjack/battery/box, and coversion to Kodiak disc brakes, these drums are driving me nuts...

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Recommendation: Get rid of the carpet and go with the nylon composite sliders. The American Aluminum trailer I own had the heavy duty carpeted bunks. The carpet worn thru in about 3 months and the wood started to scratch my gel. Removed the carpet and replaced with these sliders strips. Manufacturer claims they will not scratch the gel. One thing for sure, the boat nearly flys off the trailer. WARNING: DO NOT remove the bow hook or release the winch stop until the boat is in the water. Don't be put on the list of people who have their boat land on the ramp-----off the trailer. Do a search for boat slides. I believe they are in Wis.

Quick Reply: trailer toolboxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.