Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What kind of Race do you prefer to watch >

What kind of Race do you prefer to watch

Notices
View Poll Results: Which would you rather watch?
A single race with all boats on the water at once.
21.05%
Multiple races with fewer boats and fewer classes.
78.95%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of Race do you prefer to watch

Old 07-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of Race do you prefer to watch

For those of you that enjoy attending offshore races, which format do you prefer?

Running all the boats at once so that the racecourse is full of boats with constant action.

Or

Several races with fewer classes and fewer boats on the course so you can tell who's winning the race, plus the racing lasts through most of the afternoon.

Which do you prefer?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Registered

Default Re: What kind of Race do you prefer to watch

Several with fewer classes for sure
Old 07-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Registered

Several w\ fewer. I'd get to see more types of boats, and it would open the sport up to more competetors, which means more racers. Everyone loves the P1s.....but you'll get more competors in P4-5 ville.....and obviously boats in that wide range cant race each other. More classes and racing, makes for a longer day of spectating as well. The longer i can sit at the end of Martell's pier the better

Dammit, I voted for the wrong one. I voted for single, but didnt mean it....
Old 07-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Registered

My real choice is not there, more boats in fewer classes.
When I was racing several times we had brought our sponsor and their clients to races. Believe me, boat racing offers more in "client hospitality" than any other sport, nothing like having clients on a yacht watching a race. Make that yacht a turn boat where they feel the spray and you'll provide an experience unmatched anywhere. Anyway, even just a few years ago 3 classes on the course at one time became too confusing to the people watching. They couldn't understand who was racing against who. They all had the best times of their lives....the confusion was relieved with a few cocktails
Old 07-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Definately several races with fewer boats in each. It's easier to distinguish who's in what class and who's leading. Not to mention, I simply don't think it would be a good idea to have supercats and supervees running around the course with P5 boats.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
more boats in fewer classes.
Ideally, that would be the case.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Multiple races for sure. If I'm travelling several hours to see races, I want to see more than one race.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Registered

Several. However, I think there needs to be a few offshore races that are truly offshore !! They will probably be seen only on media versus live by most of the population but I think that manufacturers should be proving their hulls offshore. I think that offshore should mean offshore just like it did in the 70's and 80's. I realize the need for spectators but for the hardcore there should be a class that races the real offshore Miami - Bimini or Miami Nassau Miami races of yesteryear. I'm afraid to buy (when I could afford them) the hulls now adays when I don't know if they can withstand the rigors of REAL offshore. Sure they can go 100 on a 2 foot chop but what ever happened to real offshore racing... This may be a stupid point of view but I would hope that I share this sentiment with several members.... or maybe not.... please post...
Old 07-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by frequentflyer
Several. However, I think there needs to be a few offshore races that are truly offshore !! They will probably be seen only on media versus live by most of the population but I think that manufacturers should be proving their hulls offshore. I think that offshore should mean offshore just like it did in the 70's and 80's. I realize the need for spectators but for the hardcore there should be a class that races the real offshore Miami - Bimini or Miami Nassau Miami races of yesteryear. I'm afraid to buy (when I could afford them) the hulls now adays when I don't know if they can withstand the rigors of REAL offshore. Sure they can go 100 on a 2 foot chop but what ever happened to real offshore racing... This may be a stupid point of view but I would hope that I share this sentiment with several members.... or maybe not.... please post...
I would love to see a lengthy offshore race across 25 miles of open water. A modern day "Apache Offshore Challenge" would be very interesting to see.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Registered

I do agree 100%!!! Not that I watched the races in the 70's and 80's, except on video but it looks much more exciting and real test of drivers and boats, the money would still be there for the sport before the races and after and if they would just set up big projections screens you could still see the races going on watch your favorite boat etc... and after or before the races see the boats up close and visit.

Quick Reply: What kind of Race do you prefer to watch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.