Sterndrive Inc. - A bad experience >

Sterndrive Inc. - A bad experience

Notices

Sterndrive Inc. - A bad experience

Old 03-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterndrive Inc. - A bad experience

I have had a bad experience with Lane Weir at Sterndrive Inc. Here are the facts.

In October/05 I upgraded the 454 mag in my Donzi 22 Classic to a 540, and was in the market to upgrade the outdrive to a Bravo XR. At the time Sterndrive had an attractive offer on these units and so, despite warnings, I called Lane Weir who told me that his current inventory had been sold but that he was assembling orders for a further 30 units of which he said approximately half had already been spoken for. As a result, I placed an order with him on November 11/05. How complicated could it be? I was surprised that he required me to pay the full price, plus an unannounced 3% "handling fee", rather than merely a deposit, but I assumed this indicated a quick turn around for the transaction. No mention was actually made of any specific delivery time.

On December 5/05 Mr. Weir e-mailed me that he would have the unit in "late this week or early next week", and would ship it to me within a day of two of delivery. When no delivery or further correspondence had been received from Mr. Weir by December 21/05, I e-mailed him for a status report. He indicated that if the wait was causing me a problem he would be glad to refund my payment, but otherwise delivery would be "late next week" to my door.

No delivery was received, but on January 7/06 Mr. Weir e-mailed to say that he had received the unit and it would be shipped out "the first of next week".

When no delivery was received by January 26/06, I e-mailed Mr. Weir for an explanation. Following no response I called him on January 31/06 at which time he confirmed that the unit had been sent to me by "Freightliner", because he didn't trust Fedex or UPS. He could not provide me with shipment details because these were "in the front room", but he undertook to call me back in 15 minutes. When I had not heard anything by the end of the day, I called him again at which time he indicated that "after researching it", he was "misinformed by his shipping department", and that the unit had not in fact been picked up yet but that he would do so in the "next day or two" and would personally absorb the additional cost of having the order rushed to me by "Thursday at the latest".

When no delivery was received by February 3/06, I e-mailed Mr. Weir for an explanation. Again following no response, I called him on February 7/06, at which time he told me that he had been having problems with his e-mail server, but that in fact the unit had been shipped by UPS and read me the tracking number. Unfortunately, when I tried to follow this tracking number it turned out to be bogus, and when I called Mr. Weir on this he said that he was aware of this and was going to go right down to the UPS depot and "straighten the matter out". I asked him if he had in fact delivered the unit to UPS and he confirmed that he had done so personally.

When no delivery was received by February 9/06, I called Mr. Weir who then told me that, for some reason, UPS had no record of receiving the unit that he had dropped off for delivery, and furthermore that he had no other unit available for me (although I noted that he still continued to advertise the same deal on his website). I didn't bother to press him on why he would drop a unit for shipment without receiving any paperwork, or try to make any logic out of his other preposterous statements, and we decided that at that point he would simply refund my payment.

The next day I received an e-mail from Mr. Weir explaining that the "mix-up" had been due to the press of business as well as a death in his family and that, as it turned out, he had discovered that he had dropped off my unit at DHL instead of UPS, and accordingly would now be in a position to ship the unit if I wanted. At this point, since he didn't have any DHL paperwork available either, I was not prepared to continue the charade and e-mailed him that I would prefer to receive the refund as previously agreed.

When my credit card had not been credited with the refund by February 14/06, I e-mailed Mr. Weir for an explanation, at which point he indicated that his "refund policy" was that a refund would have to be in the form of a "company cheque".

To date I have received no refund of any type from Mr. Weir, despite promises from him and several unhappy e-mails from me, the most recent of which departed from my policy of polite correspondence and stated that in my view he was a crook running an internet scam, who never had any intention of delivering the product or of refunding the payment. I am continuing to proceed on several fronts to try to get my money back.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: Sterndrive Inc. - A bad experience

Call your credit card company and see if they can help, then take a plane ride and give him a visit.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If everything in your post is indeed fact, then I would be on a plane. Mistakes I can accept - no business is perfect. Outright lies are just not acceptable, and it sounds like he handed you a buttload of them.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:50 PM
BJM
Registered

Call the credit card co. Keep your e-mails as evidence. The credit card co. will do a charge back to the merchant. Your credit card will be credited. American express is the best for situations like this, but any credit card co.should have your back.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Registered

Not sure if you are an attorney, but you presented your case very well.
Seems like you have a level head.
Perfect timeline. No emotion. Just the facts.

I wish that everybody communicated their bad experiences as well.

Best of luck getting it worked out.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Please tell me this isn't the same guy that worked for Victory Marine.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BJM
Call the credit card co. Keep your e-mails as evidence. The credit card co. will do a charge back to the merchant. Your credit card will be credited. American express is the best for situations like this, but any credit card co.should have your back.
Yes, I did this once and magically the problem was resolved. Companies don't like to have negative charge backs on their record, they could loose the ability to run credit cards all together.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Registered

damdonzi... I believe it is....
Old 03-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered

YES This is Lane from victory marine. Had same experience finally got resolved

Last edited by midmo; 03-09-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I knew the name and line of BS sounded familiar. Let me share a couple of e-mails I sent back and forth from him a couple of years ago when he was at Victory Marine. See a familiar pattern? Needless to say, I didn't repower with them. You have to read from the bottom-up to get the timeline and correct back and forth. Hope you get your money back.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 5:26 PM
To: Andrew
Subject: Re: HP500EFI

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to take so long, one of our guys that runs the shipping department was in a motorcycle wreck and it has backed us up on shipping
Here are the pictures of the 500efi,
They do have 0-hours on them and they do not exstend warranty on mercury racing engines, only stock motor lines.
Motor / 500efi with tail pipes is $19,500.00
Drive / XR Mercury Bravo out drive current model $7900.00
Transom / Bravo assembly with trim rams "complete in the box" $2500.00
Trim Pump (2x) $300.00 = $600.00
Trim Tabs / Mercury 230 series "complete kit" $2225.00
Inner Sterring Ram $ N/C
Includes all hardware for installation of motor, transom, and trim tabs.
Hope the pictures help out!
I have six in stock at this time but i have deposits on four.

Thanks again,
Lane Weir
Victory Marine
(713) 910-2000
http://www.govictorymarine.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 2:26 PM
To: Andrew
Subject: Re: HP500EFI

Hi Andrew,

These motor's are new with 0-hours and full warranty!
I am sold out! as of right now!
I will have more coming in on Wednesday, the warranty info is with the motors, so I can not send a copy till I recieve new shipment.
I will check on mercury extended, warranty! "I DON'T SEE WHY YOU CAN'T BUY IT"
As far as current models" I am out of stock in transoms and drive in 2004 models!
I will re-fax information upon your request and parts needed.

Thanks again,
Lane Weir
Victory Marine
(713) 910-2000
http://www.govictorymarine.com

----- Original Message -----
To: "lane Weir" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 1:20 PM
Subject: RE: HP500EFI

Hi Lane,

Got your fax. Can you please resend with this information:

Year of engine and confirm 0 hours.
Do you have a copy of the factory warranty for this engine?
Can an extended warranty be purchased for this engine?
Do you have a current Bravo transom assembly?
Do you have any current Bravo One drives?

Thanks,

Andrew
XXX-XXX-XXXX

Quick Reply: Sterndrive Inc. - A bad experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.