I Need A New Tank, I Posted In The General Section But No Replies Yet

Any Suggestions?

I Would Like A Plastic One

Thanks Pj
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gas Tank

I'm surprised to hear that you need a new tank...what happened?The original tanks were welded aluminum I believe....manufacturered by Florida Marine tanks. They are still around, how about an OEM replacement? http://floridamarinetanks.com/

Why would you want a plastic tank? Just curious.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:11 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

chuck the cost is my first reason, second is I read that they are better, third reason would be cost.....

what do you think?

they are welded aluminum it filled my liitle bilge in the cabin three times with gas yesterday it has had a slow leak for about three years, it nevers gets in the engine compartment just the dam cabin. I have already taken out the carpet it was toast

Last edited by 88formula223; 08-07-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Banned

I just replace a 24 year old tank in my 22 Donzi. It was aluminum. We aren't even sure if it was leaking, I think it was coming from around the sending unit. Anyway, pulled the deck off, and it wasn't going back on without a new tank. If the next one last 24 years, I'll be taking a dirt nap by the time it needs replaced. The place that changed mine out was also doing another Donzi just like mine at the same time. I picked mine boat up on Saturday, and there was a $125 disposal fee for the tank! I told him to take that off the bill, and throw it on my truck, and I'd dispose of it myself. Saturday, I was talking to another Donzi owner, and he said he sold his old one for scrap aluminum for $50, but you had to cut it in half first, so the scrap yard knew there was no gas left in it. I the shop loaded the one out of the other boat, I know, but it didn't matter to him. I was going to cut it in half today, so I filled it with water first to be sure there were no gas fumes left in it to blow up when I got out the die grinder. When I filled it with water, it wasn't leaking a drop. Deb told a freind of hers that I was going to scrap it, and he said not to let me cut it, because he wanted it, and he'd give me $50 for it. The new one cost $548 or something like that plus shipping, and it was a Florida Marine Tank. It took five weeks to make it, they don't keep any specific tanks in stock, hell, they'd have to stock thousands of them. Anyway, I'd go back with aluminum if I were you. They are tried and true. I've heard of plastic tanks splitting wide open.

Here's the tank on my driveway full of water today.
48 gallons, I believe it is.
Attached Thumbnails Gas Tank-8-7-001.jpg   Gas Tank-8-7-002.jpg  
Old 08-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

Btw, notice that the new tank has six tabs, where the old tank only had two. I had it completely plumbed for half inch lines, including a bigger pick up tube. That's for future power changes.
Attached Thumbnails Gas Tank-7-27-007.jpg  
Old 08-07-2006, 09:21 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

thanks cuda

5 weeks is a long time, I am 99% sure it is leaking like I said there wasnt any gas in the engine compartment just the little bilge in the cabin, and it has a new sender gasket., I can get a plastic one that holds 55 gal that is almost a direct fit just not as long for $319 and have it in a
week or less

Cuda I checked the drive like you said and it was about 1/2 a quart low topped it off and used it all day yesterday without a problem.. thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

Did you check the o rings?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88formula223
chuck the cost is my first reason, second is I read that they are better, third reason would be cost.....

what do you think?

they are welded aluminum it filled my liitle bilge in the cabin three times with gas yesterday it has had a slow leak for about three years, it nevers gets in the engine compartment just the dam cabin. I have already taken out the carpet it was toast
I don't know which tank would be better--plastic, aluminum or some other material. But I think quality and strength would drive my decision over cost. One other thing to research....gasoline now has more ethanol content...will plastic tanks hold up over time?

Once you pull the old tank it will be interesting to see where the leak is. I would be amazed if it is at a seam. Have you checked and double checked the pickup and vent lines/fittings?

Last edited by chuck21401; 08-08-2006 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck21401
I don't know which tank would be better--plastic, aluminum or some other material. But I think quality and strength would drive my decision over cost. One other thing to research....gasoline now has more ethanol content...will plastic tanks hold up over time?
I've recently read an article about this exact subject. The additional ethanol that is now mandated is having an adverse effects on both gas tanks as well as many carbs. I'll have to find the article so that I can post the info. I believe it was discussing the older fiberglass tanks, the ethanol reacting to the resin.

I agree with Chuck, quality and strength, considering the intended use of these types of boats.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:44 AM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cuda
Did you check the o rings?

my guy is checking the drive leak out should know something soon

Quick Reply: Gas Tank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.