Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
FAST sytem or DFI, anyone build motors and tune with these? >

FAST sytem or DFI, anyone build motors and tune with these?

Notices

FAST sytem or DFI, anyone build motors and tune with these?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST sytem or DFI, anyone build motors and tune with these?

I think it would be really interesting to build my own EFI system utilizing a stand alone computer such as the FAST or DFI. Build the motors, dyno and setup a safe tune and go from there. You could dial in your setup utilizing a wide-band, etc. Anyone doing anything like this? I'm just thinking of it cuz i keep seeing people trying to manipulate mercruisers factory ECM with no luck
Old 12-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

little we've used the Fast units since before they were available on the market in our road race cars and turbo cars there has been better more sophisticated units developed since that have more capabilities but that is still to this day one of the best units out there . I feel you would be happy with it's performance and reliability. Good luck Sincerely Laz Mesa

Last edited by OSO News; 12-20-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done several FAST systems in boats, from 600 HP to 1000HP. They work great. A couple have been running in closed loop for over 3 years trouble free.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Holley MPI kit. Everthing on the system can be tweeked to perfection. It is very time consuming, be patiant and have a good driver to run your boat. Tip, the wife may not be crazy about this idea so have a buddy drive.

Good luck
Old 12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pro's inout to non-Merc EFI

I am also considering an EFI system (FAST? Accel DFI ?). How close can you get the final set-up on the dyno vs. a need for in the boat tuning with a laptop?
If in the boat tuning is necessary, can you dial-in the fuel curve, idle control, etc in a few short runs in 1-2 hrs? One opinion I heard is that EFI tech support is very important; this seems logical for a DYI install. Any tech support experience or brand related comments?
Can a novice really complete the final tuning once it has left your shop?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I like the Fast system better than the DFI. I was able to get close on the dyno, still had to fine tune in the boat. The milder cammed motors are easier to tune.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a 502 procharger 725hp engine using a fast(was fel-pro back then)back in 1998,the unit worked real well and was fairly easy to tune,I tuned and experimented on dyno then insalled in boat in closed loop,had another af meter in other exhaust.The tune up was fairly close except coming on plane(was lean) added fuel in those cells and was good to go.These systems are great for the person who enjoys tweaking,tuning and tinkering with there motor combo,you do need to spend some time on your tune up to get it perfect.Once i got mine tuned i removed wide band sensor and put it in open loop mode.That tune up is saved in lap top and can be down loaded into another ecm,thats wy engine builders build a combo(cid,cam,head etc)and keep that same combo so they don't have to spend a lot of time re-tuning new combo.The engine is still running no problems
Old 12-19-2007, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thats all good to hear. I was in the market maybe two years ago for a stand alone system for my mustang. After a bunch of research i found the FAST system would be the way to go due to the fact that it is pretty user friendly and there is a ton of support for it. Also i believe the factory will setup a start-up tune for the combo and you tweak it from there.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using a Megasquirt system for the past two seasons. I had to do some modifications to run the low Z injecotors and found that timing chain and cam flex and MSD dist cause a wide varition in tach signal.. so a crank trigger fixed that problem. I was able to lean the motor down and best run so far netted me 4.1mph over my past best.
Megasquirt is not for the faint of heart, but you can buy them assembled and build a wiring harness to fit your needs.
This winter I hope to presurized the motor and see how the Megasquirt and I like it!!

Dick
Old 12-19-2007, 06:53 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Good luck trying to get usable Tech support from Accel. Don't expect to tune either system in a couple of hours.

Quick Reply: FAST sytem or DFI, anyone build motors and tune with these?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.