Notices

Newbie with ???'s

Old 03-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with ???'s

First off, just wanted to say hello. I found this site searching on google and man, I am glad I did. Love the site!!!

I am fairly new to boats (been a drag racer all my life) and am now looking to buy my first one. I really like the Baja's and would like something in the 25-27' range. Of course, having the craving for big power, I want something that will run low 80's. I am very mechanically inclined, although I know very little about boats, so I figured something with say a 502 and I'll either install a procharger or buy one already fitted with one.

Now, here's my questions.... I found a couple of 30' and 32's that I like, but they usually have two motors. What is fuel consumption like with two motors vs. one blown motor? On these type boats, how long will a full tank of fuel last you? Meaning one with two motors vs one blown motor.

The reason for the fuel question is two fold.... first and foremost, fuel prices. WHOA!!! And secondly, I like to be out running around the water.... taking my kids out, taking friends out, blah, blah. Obviously I know the two motors would use more fuel, but are we talking a whole lot more? Or just a little more?

Also, I figured a smaller boat 25' would be easier to run around the river, although, I have seen some 32's there. But not quite sure how they manuever some of the more shallow parts.... but anyways.

Last question and yes, you guys will probably laugh at me for this.... but can you realistically pull a tube or stuff behind say a 27' Baja? You know for the kids and stuff? Or is the turning radius and other stuff just too much to be drug behind this type of craft?

Please be gentle, this is my first post and I really want to learn about this stuff. Love these big boats and even more.... I love going fast.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baja is a good boat, a 25-27' can pull a tube ok if there is room.

80mph single boat is going to average about 2miles per gallon if you are lucky. Twin 80mph boat may get 1.2-1.5 mpg.

For river work a single may suit you better up to 29' from there you will want twins

I'd suggest a single engined factory powered boat for your first go round.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a great single Scarab for sale
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o20200-en.html
Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome aboard.....!

First piece of advice....research as much as you can on quality of the different manufacturers.
Second my advice is go with a single in the 25' range as your first boat...good way to learn and keep it simple.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Registered

Welcome from a fellow newbie....Glad you just made this post b/c I had some very similar questions!!!

If I may interject a question on the behalf of quality. I too have been looking towards Baja. However, some of my friends question there quality and craftsmanship. Are there any points to take not of on the negative aspects of Baja???
Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have seen, a Baja is a durable boat with good quality. Obviously there is better out there, but you will be paying accordingly.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Your not going to go wrong with a baja. Make sure you buy it at the right price. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

welcome to OSO!

i do not have much info on baja , but we do have a fourm for owners with different brands of boats..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...aysprune=&f=31 this is a link for the baja fourm.

but , the boat that kimmer has is a good boat for what your looking for with a very fair price..
Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
From what I have seen, a Baja is a durable boat with good quality. Obviously there is better out there, but you will be paying accordingly.
Originally Posted by open72
welcome to OSO!

i do not have much info on baja , but we do have a fourm for owners with different brands of boats..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...aysprune=&f=31 this is a link for the baja fourm.

but , the boat that kimmer has is a good boat for what your looking for with a very fair price..

Thank you both for the info. I was searching my way around the Baja forum. But, clearly if the forum is filled with Baja owners they will all be slightly biased to the brand
Old 03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Registered

I have a single engine 27 Fountain for sale. 95mph

Quick Reply: Newbie with ???'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.