How I use Leverage Polish & Oxidation Remover >

How I use Leverage Polish & Oxidation Remover

Notices

How I use Leverage Polish & Oxidation Remover

Old 04-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I use Leverage Polish & Oxidation Remover

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How I use Leverage;

If the boat already has a shine with No oxidation or staining then you need the Polish only. I apply the polish by hand with 2 terry cloth towels. I spray 1 towel 5-6 times and wipe on(no hard scrubbing needed). I wipe down the entire boat with a light coat then I come back and wipe the light residue off with the 2 dry towel(polish entire boat then wipe off). I also polish all of the interior fiberglass, dash, metal and gauges as well. The boat dosen't have to be spotless before you apply the polish, but it needs to be dry. The polish has a very mild cleaning agent that will remove things like spider crap, dust and pollen.

If Oxidation, Fading or Staining is present then you need to start with the (OR)Oxidation Remover. I use the OR with a rotary buffer and a wool pad unless I'm removing small black streaks or cleaning the transom then I work by hand. I've used the Harbor Freight buffers for years and they are great especially for the money! All of my employees use this buffer and I've never had any breakdowns or damage. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...her-66615.html

Before I buff I always wash the boat down then towel dry or wipe it down with a damp towel if it's not to dirty. I apply small, thin lines of the OR to the surface(not directly to the pad)and start the buffer at 1200-1400 if the oxidation is bad then hit it a second time at about 2400 to remove any excess residue. I've found it best to use seperate wool pads for each color especially if the oxidation is bad. Most colors will tend to bleed as you are removing the oxidation/fading.

If the fiberglass has very mild fading/oxidation then you should be able to run the buffer at 2400-2600 and be done. After I'm finished then I rinse the boat down with fresh water and towel dry or use a damp towel to wipe it down then allow to dry. I usually like to come back the next day and apply my Leverage Polish after everything is dry. You can apply My Polish the same day as buffing, but be sure the surface is completely dry first. Then apply the polish according to the directions above.
If the OR is not removing all of the imperfections then wetsanding might be needed for a flawless finish.

All of the Directions are on the bottles, but I like to post up in case anyone has any questions.

I only use Terry Cloth towels. I've found they can be used for many years to come and will not cause swirling like some microfiber towels.

I can do a 36' Boat twice with 1 bottle of Leverage Polish. I can buff an entire 36' Boat with 1 bottle of Oxidation Remover unless it's extremely chalky.

Please let me know if I missed anything or if anyone has a question.

Donnie

Last edited by marineclean; 08-23-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Update buffer link
Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Registered

This is a good, short clip from one of our fellow OSOers. I don't use the 3M, but to each their own.

Okay I used both the oxidation remover and the polish-Heres my results. I've buffed cars and done finish work all my life and I think I know buffing products pretty well heres what I found,
Oxidation remover cleaned up the bow real well and removed all stains and scum. went over it with 3-M perfect it III and had a shine like the boat never had.
Went over it with leverage polish and it looked super. Bottom line its all in the prep as in painting. If you think your just going to use the polish on an older boat and have it look like new your dreaming but if you buff and prep then use polish the resulsts are outstanding.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the good advice, Donnie - I just ordered some of the polish from the SW store. I recently bought a 21 year old Formula 242 with a black Imron finish that's really in beautiful shape...I don't think I will have to do much of anything but shine her up...
Old 05-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does this polisher from Harbor freight come with everything you need ? I would like to do a light compound to the bow. Donnie I used your product last year and was very happy. I usually do a light compound by hand. I had a friend last year tell me how do you make a 20 yr old boat good and I told him Leverage

Thanks

Mark
Attached Thumbnails How I use Leverage Polish & Oxidation Remover-new-parts-013-large-.jpg   How I use Leverage Polish & Oxidation Remover-new-parts-011-large-.jpg  
Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Registered

Masi - is your rub rail original? It looks really nice (as does the whole boat) - do you use anything on it? I almost thought of Armor All, but I think that would only make it look nice for about a day or so.

I just got my 242 out of storage and in the driveway today, and I'm waiting on my Leverage to arrive via UPS...
Old 05-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

BlackJack, thank you the rubrail is original when I wax the boat I just go over it an it looks nice you just need to stay on top of it. Is your whole boat black or just the hull? I have seen an all black 242 where I live, a little hot in the summer. Post a pic of your Formula here or the Formula sec.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masi242
Does this polisher from Harbor freight come with everything you need ? I would like to do a light compound to the bow. Donnie I used your product last year and was very happy. I usually do a light compound by hand. I had a friend last year tell me how do you make a 20 yr old boat good and I told him Leverage

Thanks

Mark
Boat looks great Mark! Thr buffer comes with everything, but get another wool pad instead of the one it comes with. Let me know if you need anything.

Donnie
Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Registered

Donnie, Thanks For Getting Me Set Up With Justin He Did A Great Job On My 36 Outlaw And Now I'm Ready For Summer. He Is Going To Start On My Houseboat This Week Then I Have A Few More Friends That Are Wanting Their Hb's Done. Thanks Again The Boat Looks Great. Kevin Wagner Lc.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By accident I left the Oxidation remover and the polish out in the garage over the winter and it froze is it still good? thanks .Tom
Old 05-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Registered

Hey - if the instructions say to "spray it on a towel 5-6 times" it would be a little easier if the product was actually delivered in a spray bottle!

I guess I'll head out to my garage and search through the empty weed-killer bottles to find a spray top that fits...

Quick Reply: How I use Leverage Polish & Oxidation Remover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.