JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What's the value of this 28?

I am considering buying this boat:
1982 28ft Pantera
2 - 454 mercs, will need a rebuild.
Bravo 1s, will need rebuild also.
SS 4blade props, K-tabs, MSD ignition, Gil Dry exhaust, fiberglass fairing.
Boat is in good condition... needs some TLC.

Could anyone make an educated guess what its worth?
I don't see many 1980's 28ft panteras on the market, why?
Most are mid to late 90's.
When taking a closer look at the boat, are there any places I should look at specifically for stress cracks and the such?

By the way, this site ROCKS! So happy to have found these forums.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:36 PM
PANTERA LOVER

is this boat by any chance in a place called Hampton Bays?

Old 07-11-2002, 02:46 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Wow, you guys know everything... yep, thats the one.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:55 PM
PANTERA LOVER

I am going to try and help you here but it is up to you obviousley to make the final call. Here is what i know. Before i bought my pantera i looked at that one. It caught my eye because it was so dam cheap. I payed 600$ to have a surveyor take a look at it. In the words of the surveyor "i wouldnt pay 5 dollars for it". I will give you a basic report of what was in the survey and i had pictures. The name of the boat is "Water Heater". The boat has excessive water damage to the hull. We believe that it may have been sunk at one time while doing the moisture reading test on the main hull. There were several gas and oil leaks in the main engine compartment. This boat has not been maintained. I also really thought it would be a "good deal" but let me tell you right now even if you were getting this boat for free you would be about 30 into it to make it decent. This report was done about 2 1/2 months ago. Unless someone completley re did it (which i highly doubt) my best advice to you would be KEEP LOOKING! This boat is going to be nothing but trouble for you. I would go into more detail but i honestly dont have the time. But thats what i know so i may have saved u 600$ for the survey. This boat is not cared for and the surveyor said to me i would be taking a risk to even use it in rough water, it could be dangerous.

-Best of luck to you
-PANTERA LOVER

Old 07-11-2002, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Now this is a good use of the board.
Old 07-11-2002, 03:21 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Not only did you save me $600 on the survey, but you saved me thousands on my divorce!
You are a lifesaver pantera lover....

I spoke to Jose Nunez a couple of times about used panteras...
and he has seen many a money pits. He advised looking for a real nice one and paying up front for the better boat instead of buying a disaster.(and then pouring the funds in)

I think a 28ft would be perfect for the Long Island Sound and inshore ocean use. I'll have to wait till I can save up more funds.
I'd love to get a new one, the pics from the plant get the blood flowing.

For a 28' Pantera is top of the list... due to the great looks, great quality, great lines and cause Jose and Pepe took the time to talk to me about their boats and steer me in the right direction.
And thank you again Pantera lover...
For now I'll still be missing out.
Old 07-11-2002, 03:40 PM
PANTERA LOVER

Absolutley no problem, glad to help you out and save you from one hell of a bad boat! Yes Joey and Pepe are great! I am glad you did not waste your time on a real bad boat. The 28' is great and also the 24'. They both handle & perform like champions and are built with unmatched quailty. Joey and Pepe are great people and im sure they can steer you in the right direction.

If you need any help or have questions about other used Panteras ide be glad to help.

-Good luck to you
-PANTERA LOVER

Last edited by PANTERA LOVER; 07-11-2002 at 03:51 PM.

Old 07-12-2002, 12:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much were they asking for it? sounds like a project if it is cheap enough <3000 or so. Has anyone converted twins to a single before in a 28? Ironman.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:23 AM
PANTERA LOVER

when i looked at it about 2 1/2 months ago i believe his bottom line was 16,500 and i think it stands at that right now.

Old 07-12-2002, 09:35 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Yea, he is asking 16,995.
See www.hamptonwatercraft.com
But does anyone know why I don't see many 80's 28ft for sale?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.