Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help me decide, I have analysis paralysis! >

Help me decide, I have analysis paralysis!

Notices

Help me decide, I have analysis paralysis!

Old 09-03-2002, 08:14 PM
Uncle Toys

Default Help me decide, I have analysis paralysis!

I have had analysis paralysis on which way to go with my boat. Sure could use your input!

Currently I am geared and propped for blowers, but I don’t have the blowers on anymore. So the boat is fairly slow; top speed 75mph and 60mph cruise @ 3,500rpm.
Should I:
1) Leave the small blocks stock, regear the drives, have special three-blade props made and add a big trim tab to the center sponson. Probably kiss 90mph on a good day and cruise at 70mph @ 3,500rpm. The big unknown is will I be able to get on plane with the trim tab and three blade props. Before the blowers I tried different props and the three blades were 7mph faster but hell to get on plane.

2) Leave the transom alone and have a well known engine builder build out the small blocks. Approximately 500hp, probably mild boost. Theoretically 105-110mph and 80mph cruise @ 3,500. A lot more money and the big unknown is reliability.

Old 09-03-2002, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guess what my answser is?

Blowers!!! You can never have too much HP. If you think you will be happy with stock motors you are lieing to yourself, or us. And the reason you ordered & bought this boat was because???
Old 09-03-2002, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 2,832 Likes on 951 Posts

being blown is good!!!!

Brother!! We had a blast with you guys in Havasu!! Can't wait to get back out there with you!

On the blower topic...DAAAAAAM my boat ran good last weekend! The only boat that past me was Tex!! Of course he was doing about 110 at the time! I say blow those puppies brother! Do it right and be reliable. go with some small wieand or some other baby blower...put some chillers on there (little extra power! ) **** man you have twins in a 26...You should be able to show something for it! Hope to see you guys on the lake again soon. Send Kathy and Sam our love.

Tank
Old 09-03-2002, 08:36 PM

Uncle Toys, You know me pretty well by now, You should know that way I'll vote. There is nothing that beats HP. It's only money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Otto
Old 09-03-2002, 08:59 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Having trouble getting on plane is VERY frustrating. Add to that rough water and it can make it damn near impossible. I have been out in the ocean and had trouble planeing off my Formula, I can not imagine a cat..... Do you really need to go that much hp? I would think that would really be pushing a 350!!!! How about lowering your hp rating, maybe save some money and still be running faster then Tank I hate to see things on the edge of the technological and hp barrier. That is just plain asking for trouble. Did you ever figure out why the other motors blew up? Can some one build you a new motor that takes care of that problem? I know you already have the blowers, it would be a shame to not use them. I know lots of people that are running VERY reliable power with blowers. Biggus, BCC, Spinetickler, D-man, KWB and so many more. What is the difference? IMHO it is the people that put the engines together. It is all about your builder. Paul Pfaff is close to you, maybe he is worth a call?

Jon
Old 09-03-2002, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blowers are cool, but some good power can still be made with properly built naturally aspirated motors. Think of how fun it would be to spank other boats that are running blown big blocks with some well tuned small blocks. Just another option that could very easily be turn key fun and still fit under the hatch. Remember, Naturally Aspirated small block Chevys are still the winningest motors ever produced!!!
Old 09-03-2002, 09:34 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Hey UT, I guess you'll be working again to pay for the new motors. Oh man, what is going to cost on the other side if you know what I mean.

If you want some nasty small blocks you need to talk with Richie Zul on Long Island NY. He built the motors in FEVER who was a constant winner as long as the grenade motors lived. Wonder why they call them grenade motors? Never understood that...

Like Otto said. It's only money. You know you won't be happy unless you can hit 100 any time you want it.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:37 PM
GRH

I'd go blowers.... and if your still having trouble getting on plane.... add nitrous.... just for planning ....

Old 09-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Registered

Or you can trade both options for what's behind Door #3! Johnny, tell our contestant what he could win!

Johnny: "Monty, Door #3 holds a pair of 540 cubic inch big block Chevrolets. These motors feature roughly 550 - 600 hp with a mountain of torque that a mouse motor just can't match. Remember Monty, there's new replacement for displacement!"

Monty: "Now Uncle Toys, the choice is up to you. Keep the mouse motors stock, rebuilt the small blocks with the blowers, or go with big block power! What do you say?"

UT: "I think I'll trade it all for whats in the big box!"

Monty: "Wow, now that is a surprise! What has Uncle Toys got in that big box?? Why it's a year's supply of Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco treat! Thank you for playing, Uncle!"

--------------

As I was typing that, I realized that I had gotten way off topic - sorry 'bout that!

If it were me (geez, to have these kind of troubles ), I'd have to say go with the reliable solution. First, how fast do you need to go at Havasu? I've never been there, but it sounds like the place gets pretty crowded - I'm thinking 90 mph with a 70 mph cruise should be plenty for that desert ditch. Plus, who wants to be worried about loading up the plugs when your idling around the local party spots, etc. And my final thought - the boat is no fun sitting in the shop (not to mention, if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy - and if your wife is anything like mine, she ain't happy when the boat's in the shop and the repair bills are showing up in the mailbox )

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2002, 10:12 PM
Uncle Toys

TJ – I certainly don’t want to lie. That’s why I am being honest and admitting my analysis paralysis.

As Otto alludes to – it’s not the money. It’s that I want to be safe first, and then fast. Remember, this is my first performance boat. Someday I hope to grow and be just like Otto.

Actually, I’m probably more worried about alienating my wife. Having the starboard engine blow up traumatized her to some degree. If I do that again too soon, this might be my first and last performance boat.

Tank – You’re the best bro! That was our first time at Steamboat cove and we really liked it. But maybe it should be rename Pastie cove (sp?).

Quick Reply: Help me decide, I have analysis paralysis!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.