Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention. >

NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.

Notices

NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW trim tabs- 'necessity' is the mother of invention.

To my Offshore Only brethren:

I'd like to start by saying how great it is to have websites like this in which to share our thoughts and experiences for something we truly love...the sport of offshore powerboating.

Several years ago I had purchased a 25' Martini with the Bennett dual ram trim tab system. (12"x 12" plate) It was functional but slow and not very aestetically pleasing. I then looked into upgrading to a K-plane. I was floored by the price and just couldn't justify it on a boat my size.

This led me to the drawing board. After two seasons of testing and many hours of research and development I've come up with a simple and beautiful solution to those who have the single or dual ram Bennett trim tab system. I call them the 'Victory' line of trim tabs.

The Victory trim tabs are designed to bolt in place of your existing Bennett trim plates using your original ram and transom mounting holes. They are ruggedly conctructed of stainless steel. Each one is bead blasted ensuring excellent paint adhesion. These are the steps involved:

1) epoxy primer
2) 2K high-build primer
3) basecoat (either black or a custom colour)
4) UV resistant clearcoat

Between the basecoat and clearcoat stage the tops of each gusset are polished revealing the shiny stainless steel below. It gives a very cool effect similar to some valve covers we've all seen before.

The Victory line of trim tabs are longer than the Bennett units and have a slightly larger surface area. The dual-ram version measures 19" overall and the single-ram version measures 15" overall. Both taper down to 8" at the tip. They react quicker than the originals using the same ram mount. (it's a physics thing) Tests have shown that increased stability and better planing times are the norm.

In conjunction with my own 'exhaustive' testing I've employed the services of a few others so I wouldn't be riding solely on my own opinion. All have come back with overwhelmingly positive results.( references gladly given upon request) At around 26lb. shipping weight per pair you can see that these are no wussy lightweights!

In closing I would like to say that I wasn't out to reinvent the wheel. My goal is to provide an excellent marine product at a more reasonable price than we're all used to paying. ( the same principal employed by the people involved in the "hyd. steering for under $500" thread, which I have enjoyed immensely I might add!) The Victory trim tabs closely mimic the style and function of a K-plane style while utilizing your existing Bennett rams and pump all for a VERY reasonable price. Thank-you.

Sincerely,
Brian Kamrath
Designer/builder of Victory trim tabs
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.-victory7-2.jpg  

Last edited by martiniboat; 10-31-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Registered

Close-up, dual ram in Merc. HP electric blue.
Attached Thumbnails NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.-victory4-2.jpg  
Old 08-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Registered

close-up Victory single ram version.
Attached Thumbnails NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.-victorysinglepair-black.jpg  
Old 08-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Registered

blue and white
Attached Thumbnails NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.-blue2-2.jpg  
Old 08-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great idea!
Do you have a website or cost info?
Any pics of an installed set?
Where do the rams mount?...the transverse rib in the middle.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Registered

You will have my order!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

i have bennets on my scorpion and would be interested in some pricing and ordering info. cant seem to justify the cost of K planes for this boat but would like a larger tab. they look pretty cool too. good luck with your venture, looks promising.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Registered

Baja Daze, here's a few quick pics of an install or should I say, a temporary install for photo purposes. PM me or e-mail me for pricing. I will say that they are less expensive than a set of Bennett ST16 Sport Tabs.

I'm reluctant to post pricing as I have not purchased advertising on the website yet. I wouldn't want to p@ss off the board gods.

P.S. A website is in the works displaying not only the tabs but alot of other past marine projects as well. Thanks,

Sincerely,
Brian Kamrath
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.-victory2-install3.jpg  
Old 08-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Registered

another
Attached Thumbnails NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.-victory2-install-white2.jpg  
Old 08-22-2003, 12:46 PM
Registered

Nice job. I see we think alike. I did the same thing on mine but I used a set of 280 tabs I found cheap and made my own brackets and used the dual bennett setup. It would have been a lot easier to buy yours if you had them then. Im still monkeying around finding the right "up" height.

Quick Reply: NEW trim tabs- 'neccessity' is the mother of invention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.