31' Project Boat

Notices

31' Project Boat

Old 02-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 31' Project Boat

Well my Excalibur that I just bought is turning out to be more of a project than I had hoped. I met with my mechanic yesterday and the stringers are rotten at the forward end of the cabin. The decking has been cut away under the forward vee birth to give access for a hatchet job replacement of the most forward bulkhead. It will have to be replaced as well and the area closed back up. Whoever did the hatchet job took all the old debris and threw it back in the hull and put the cushion over it. There are cracks in the outside of the hull in this area as well.

The alternators, distributors and carburetors are all non-marine automotive units and will have to be replaced. Don't know about the starters yet. Engine compartment and under dash wiring is a mess. Various other things as well. Haven't even taken a compression test on the engines yet or checked the outdrives.

Anyway, before I get to do the things that I want to do (upholstery and dash/gauges) I need to get the boat mechanically and structurally sound and do it by June so we don't miss the boating season on the Chesapeake Bay.

Robert Patch

Last edited by Jammin'; 04-01-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:24 PM
FWK

Sorry to hear about your troubles Robert keep us up to date.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Registered

RW-
Sorry to hear about your boat, that sucks! If you can, post pics of your project and the progression..

Last edited by FASTTIMES; 02-09-2004 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

On the bright side, the transom is solid and at least the stringers aren't rotten for the whole length and the boat will be exactly what I want when it's finished. I love the look of this era boat.

I'll post some pictures later as it progresses.

Robert
Old 02-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I really liked that boat too and was talking to Jack about it. I came close to picking it up but it looked like a little too much work. The price was right though.

With the low entry price and planned repairs do you still think it is a good deal? Are you doi9ng the work yourself?
Old 02-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I figure that I'm on the bottom of the food chain for an offshore performance type boat and that it's going to be pay me now or pay me later regardless. Is there any such thing as a sound boat of this type and size for under 25K? I'll certainly have at least that in it by the time I have it straightened out. It seems at around 65K you've got a wide choice, but that's not where I am.

I'm not planning to do any of the work myself because I don't have the time. I've got a really good, straight, reasonable mechanic (Tim Reich, Marine Services, Woodbridge, VA).

RWP
Old 02-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I think that if you can get the boat where you want it for $25K you're doing well. If you look at what's out there, ready to go, for that kind of money you're looking at 25 footers with single power.

You've got a 31' boat with twin power and some heritage and history!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Registered

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but from previously owning a 79' Excalibur 31' OS, it pays to have a survey done along with a moisture meter test done on any 20 year plus boat.........once you get her straightened out you will have a GREAT boat!
Old 02-14-2004, 09:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

edited

Last edited by Jammin'; 04-01-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: 31' Project Boat

Here's a shot of my boat with the engines and transmissions removed. One bellows was full of oil, one bellows was full of water. Cracked gimbal flange and damaged external bell housing on one side. Wiring and plumbing were cobbled together. Mercruiser transmissions with burnt fluid.
Attached Thumbnails 31' Project Boat-enginehatch.jpg  

Quick Reply: 31' Project Boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.