Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
GA Performance Shops ? >

GA Performance Shops ?

Notices

GA Performance Shops ?

Old 05-13-2004, 12:23 PM
jgscott

Default GA Performance Shops ?

I have a Vortec 5.7 (350) that either spun a Rod bearing or busted a Connecting rod at high RPM. Its a blown Motor and I either want to tear it down and rebuild it or buy a new Higher performance stronger Motor. Looking for something reliable to put out about 340 hp or more with a 4 Bl Carb. Anyone know a good and resonably priced shop in the Atlanta GA metro area that could build this for me as a marine engine ?
Or anyone have a good recommendation of a replacement engine that makes this HP that will drop right in ? Am in a fresh water lake but do not want to use a car engine unless the conversion can be done without high cost and easy ? Thanks.

Old 05-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine Motor

I have a 350 marine motor sitting at my friends shop.It has a bout 15 hours on it.Is 4 bolt main,steel crank,h beam rods,Moroso oiling system,MSD distributor Edelbrock RPM air gap Intake,and Edelbrock Aluminum heads,hyperutectic pistons.Makes about 400hp on 93 Octane.Running 9.5 to 1 on the compression.Let me know if you are intersted.Cost 6K to build.Will give a good deal.Just collecting dust.
Mark 770-949-3746
Old 05-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GA Performance Shops ?

MRE Power Poducts outside of Valdosta is first class. He build my 500 ci NA 780 HP engines. He works closely with Keith Eickert. I have been in eight engine shops. Mike is absolutely the best. His shop is as clean as an operating room. He will build anything from stockers to race. Call him at 850 929 4422, you will be glad you did.
Sprague
Old 05-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Registered

Gary Grimes in 770-475-5272
He specd my parts and has done nothing but good work for me
540 with 683 hp at 5700/676 at 4700 torque
Old 05-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Registered

I agree with MikeHTM. Gary Grimes is an excellent engine builder and tell
him Mike Miller from Tennessee told you to call him. He is in Alpherata GA.
Spelling for the city might be wrong.

Mike
Old 05-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Registered

Thumbs down Re: GA Performance Shops ?

i had a grimes motor it never ran right. broke 2 times cost me a fortune to fix did not stand by his motor. and he should have had no hours on it when it broke . also had less hp than he said !!! by the way he is slowwwww. that was my experience dont do the same and im not the only one
Old 05-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

Jim what do you mean
and he should have had no hours on it when it broke
I don't understand
I not trying to make grimes look good but when you tell a bad news story on someone I would like more detail if you don't mind. This will help everyone on the board to learn the good and the bad guys.

My grimes motor has over 200 hrs on it and all I have done is change oil and plugs.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I have a Vortec 5.7 (350) that either spun a Rod bearing or busted a Connecting rod at high RPM. Its a blown Motor and I either want to tear it down and rebuild it or buy a new Higher performance stronger Motor. Looking for something reliable to put out about 340 hp or more with a 4 Bl Carb. Anyone know a good and resonably priced shop in the Atlanta GA metro area that could build this for me as a marine engine ?
Or anyone have a good recommendation of a replacement engine that makes this HP that will drop right in ? Am in a fresh water lake but do not want to use a car engine unless the conversion can be done without high cost and easy ? Thanks.

ck with Rum Runner he works for Barry Grant and should be able to recommend a good place there . he knows all the engine builders in that area and all over.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Registered

hi mike just posting my experience. i paid top dollar! it broke 1st time , the flywheel broke off all bolts. 40 hrs.he fixed it and i payed for it he said some kind of bs.then around 70 hrs the timing chain broke. i again was to blame more bs. cost me another chunk of money.along the way there were countless other little things that really cost me . every engine company i talked to said he was liable . mike you got lucky some people may i would not regiment him!
Old 05-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Registered

not recommend

Quick Reply: GA Performance Shops ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.