Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Notices

Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Old 11-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
No one figured out my new intake system yet??
Top is on backwards.

LOL

Crap too late.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Mark
Rob thanks for all the pictures and posting your project for all to see. I also have the KE oil pan and pickup that you showed and have been down this road before. The Moroso pump that you are talking about ordering will not work with the KE pickup, because the plate on the bottom of the Moroso pump is too thick. We had 2 motors going together at the same time and both with that pan and had to send pictures to Kepp to prove what was going on. We ended up buying the pump that Keith Eickart uses which was a Melling. I can post the pictures tomorrow that shows what I am talking about.
Mark the tag on the pumps that where attached to the pickups is a M77hv. I think I remember the Moroso pumps being the melling pumps also.

Let me know ,I have not ordered them yet.I guess I can get the 77 pump and clean it up

Moroso has 2 for the bbc

22162 blueprinted at 97.93
22160 race at 67.97

I ran the 22160 on my blower motor for the Scarab with a gill pan

Lou I know all the BS little stuff a lot of people say is a wast of time but it cant hurt

Linster I just set the top part on back wards and it fit. I thought it would be funny to see if any body caught it

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Mark is you bypass blocked off. it was like this when I tore it down . one was even loose I know on all the drag race stuff I have done I plugged the bypass also Making all the oil go thru the filter. How is your done and is the part of the Keith's oil pan package ???

anybody else got and suggestions on this??

I remember a tread on this awhile back but it was stock 454-502 stuff, difference on the pressure of the bypass.

I prefer to block it off so the oil goes thru the oil filter . because i know there will never be a restriction with the oil filter clogging up

I willing to listen to all sugestions.

Thanks

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-057.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-055.jpg  

Old 11-20-2004, 07:28 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GM makes a high pressure bypass assembly, but I prefer to drill and tap for a pipe plug for full flow through the filter. Make sure the top of the pipe plug is below the surface that the oil filter adapter sits on for a good seal. You might want to consider the Eagle rotating assembly with the 4 1/4" stroke crank for more cubes. Good luck and please keep up the pics and posts.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Rob:

You can leave the center bypass valve out since all it does is divert oil to the GM oil cooler fittings in the block. Since you have an oil cooler plumbed to your remote filter you don't need this valve. The other bypass that you have plugged can be fitted with the 30 psi valve, not the 11 psi valve that is installed on the assembly line and which was left in some marine engines when the Gen V/VI first appeared. The 11 psi valve will open due to the extra restriction of the remote oil filter and cooler plumbing. The result is the oil is neither filtered or cleaned at high RPM. the plug works, but I would rather have the 30 psi valve because dirty oil is better than no oil. Just a choice you have to make.

Keep up the good work with the photos.

Last edited by tomcat; 11-21-2004 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob Mark and i are brothers the two motors he is talking about is mine and his we both run the same oil pan and the pump you are talking abut set the pickup almost 1 inch off the bottom of the pan we called Kepp and the gave us the pt nb for the pump they ran i will look for it tomorow . also we do block off the bypass so all oil run through the filter.i was wonderong where did you get your boat and how long have you had it
Old 11-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Rob
VIP Member

This pick shows the Keith E oil cooler remote adapter .it looks like one plug fit tight the other cam loose.Tom it did not have the center valve, As far as the dirty oil /no oil/ I have never not missed a oil change and it has the fram/Peterson oil filter system and a larger oil cooler on it

I bought the boat in April 2002 with 46 hours on it ,from Jim bresnick[sp]?So it has had 2 different people in the motors before i got it It had the old style Whipples on it and they had trouble with them and took them off and supposedly put the motors back stock inside,Then sold me the boat, with out the whipplesSo a lot of stuff on the out side was over kill for a stock 500efi, but i knew I would be going into them anyway one day and probably supercharging them , I am familiar with the roots style blowers and I wish they would fit with a innercooler under the hatch , the the whipples with the efi system seem to be a reliable package . Also Mark at Precision Marine is stepping up the the plate on the ecm,s and he want to Dyno them , With Precision's and yall's help I think this is going to be a good motor package

I am glad I am going in to it know , I guess I have been lucky , head gasket leaking and the intake gasket leaking . the motors have been running pretty good for 3 summers.

pick 1 oil adapter

2 oil filter

3 oil cooler

I will report back on the machine shop found on the heads,blocks, rods etc Monday
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-014.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-resize-wizard-14.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-resize-wizard-15.jpg  

Old 11-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,

If you are changing the oil pump, buy the Mellon 10777, Jeggs now sells it. Install the high pressure spring that is sent with it. Thats a very nice pump and holds good pressure. They also make a 10770 which is for a brazed pickup.

On the bypass valve, listen to tomcat. GM makes a 30PSI part # 25161284. I replace them every tear down. That are only about $3.

Don't forget that little O-Ring you are pointing to.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:14 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Linster
Rob,

If you are changing the oil pump, buy the Mellon 10777, Jeggs now sells it. Install the high pressure spring that is sent with it. Thats a very nice pump and holds good pressure. They also make a 10770 which is for a brazed pickup.

On the bypass valve, listen to tomcat. GM makes a 30PSI part # 25161284. I replace them every tear down. That are only about $3.

Don't forget that little O-Ring you are pointing to.
Doesent the new style melling pump come with the pick up because of the difference in thickness in the body?

would there be a disadvantage in just plugging the bypass hole ??

Thanks

Rob

Old 11-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Rob
VIP Member

from there web site
Hi volume pump-25% add'l vol of oil than stock pump, Steel gears, Gear shafts extended into bottom cover for support, Relief valve spring has screw in plug, Uses 3/4" screw in screen assy, Black manganese phosphate coating, Includes special H.D hex drive shaft & extra spring.

so there showing it to require there screw in pick up. I donk think it will work with the Keith E oil pan??

Quick Reply: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.