Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures) >

Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)

Notices

Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)

Old 03-01-2002, 06:36 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)

Ok I hope to get this to go this time. I am repainting the sides of my 30ft Formula 302. As of now I have not choosen the paint that I plan on using. This I hope to be a step by step deal that will show start to finish what it takes to do this. The current boat has been painted. I am not sure what they used but the adhesion to the gell was not so good and it is chipping off. Also the former owner used Vinal stripes and it lookes like a blind person put them on they are so wavy. So I decided to strip it all off.
Attached Thumbnails Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)-audios_boat.jpg  
Old 03-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Ok this is the business end as it is now
Attached Thumbnails Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)-boatbackorig.jpg  
Old 03-01-2002, 06:43 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

The transom in the picture above was regrassed that is why the color is solid. I have to strip it off however because the guy that painted it messed it up.

Well I had trouble doing it but I took a razor to the boat and stripped off the paint. This is the half way on one side
Attached Thumbnails Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)-boatmidstripstarboard.jpg  
Old 03-01-2002, 06:48 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This was after a day. I had to stop because the sander was freezing up. I got the whole side stripped down and about half sanded. I was pleased to find so far that with the exception of a few dings in the gell it is in VERY good shape. The red is something that I may work with. The gold on top is going to be painted another color. To get to this point I would say I have been working for 8 hours.
Attached Thumbnails Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)-boatstarbord-stripped.jpg  
Old 03-01-2002, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon.........I like the boat, very nice. And, sure looks like your knocking this out pretty fast. My guess is that the paint didn't adhere due to the prep work. (nothing for it really to stick to).

Heck. If you are moving at this rate, you could have it ready for new paint when the weather hits that nice 70-75degrees with low humidity.

Thanks for the pics............and keep them coming......BOB
Old 03-01-2002, 07:57 PM
Registered

Hi Jon

The boat looks great! Is the gold the original color of the boat??
If I can be of any help let me know. Especially if you want some help figuring out what you want for paint graphics. I can do a little PhotoShop magic.

When are you back?
Old 03-01-2002, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

Audio- Very cool project, One thing about the Formula's, they got some of the best graphics in the industry, my two personal favorites, the red 382 Poker Run Special graphics and the Meteor graphics, what are your plans?.........Oh,and that first pic on the other thread with you and Nort and Nick..........(shaking head motion)......
Old 03-01-2002, 10:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Jon, I have a lot of respect for anyone that turns their own wrench or holds their own sander. Looks like you have this project well in hand. I plan on doing my Cig next winter, so teach me the rights and wrongs. Bets wishes to you and the folks up north..

Steve
Old 03-02-2002, 03:11 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Kaamacat: Yes it was poor adhesion. I think their timing was off btwn the prime and the color coats. The primer is on there quite well but the color scrapes off with ease.

Ken240: The Gold is the primer that is left after I scraped off the paint. However if you look close at the back of the last picture you will see that it did have gold up top. The middle was red. Any help you can give with graphic ideas is great thanks.

Twin290: My thoughts on the paint was to go back to stock. I do not want to try to do a wild graphics job as I just do not have the abilities to do so. I am working with the KISS theory. So I think I am going to go back to stock and add one extra strip down low. The middle will be red and we will do something different for the top stripe, definatly not gold. I have been wrestling with this one for a long time!!!

Cignificant: Does it matter any if it was my brothers sander Actually it is easy work just damn time consuming!!! What are you going to do to your cig for paint? You already know I LOVE the graphics on that boat. Just a totally classic look. Some of the new stuff is just so wild and to bussy for my likeing.

Jon
Old 03-02-2002, 08:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Jon, it doesn't matter who's sander it is. It's the elbow grease that counts. Did you finally get those motors running right?

I'm not sure what I'll do with the paint. It will change, but as you said I don't want it real busy. I'll be painting my son's boat (a 13' Glen-l kit boat) in a month or so, so that will be my classroom. I'm posting pix of my current Cig upgrades at my web site

www.geocities.com/greshah

Quick Reply: Repainting my boat Project (With Pictures)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.