Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Hats Off To Boating Parents! >

Hats Off To Boating Parents!

Notices

Hats Off To Boating Parents!

Old 07-26-2002, 03:18 PM
MIdnightRider

Default Hats Off To Boating Parents!

I do not know how my parents didn't loose their mind boating with three kids. The extra bodies, the maylay, the fighting. I have to give parents an award who take their kids boating regularly, and have a fun family time. I'm getting ready to go out for the weekend now, and I hate packing for myself, I cant imagine trying to do it with two or three kids. The patience it must take, ecspecially when the inevitable boat breakdown happens, WOW. You dont even want to speak on my boat when problems are happening, throw three wining kids in there, oh man, watch out. I stopped a lady at the marina last year that had FOUR young kids with her, and said, "Your kids probably dont appreciate what your doing, but bringing them all out here, you deserve an award, you must have the patience of Jobe", she just laughed. Just hope your kids dont follow in your foot steps and blow their early retirement money on the Big Hole in the water. Midnight

Old 07-26-2002, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Midnight,I love takin my 5 yr old daughter boating.We have a blast together,she keeps telling mom to be quiet and hang on,then she tells me to firewall it.I had a custom bolster made between the front seats of my cat with long chicken straps and she just holds those and laughs the whole time we're out.She is so into boating that I just bought her an old grew cub cat to learn on.First ride with her in that happens tomorrow.Believe me when I tell you that it takes far more patience to have unexperienced adults on board than an experienced child.She never tries to grab or push or pull anything she shouldn't.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Midnight Rider

Our kids don't know anything different than boating during the summer. We have a 3 1/2 year old and a 1 1/2 year old....they both seem to love the boat. We are going to take the elder one with us when we go down to Ft Lauderdale to pick up Thunder EnLightening when it's done. Now mind you, we live in Peoria, IL and we are driving down over 2 days +/- She is totally excited and keeps asking when the boat is going to be done. Should be an experience worth remembering She's never seen the Ocean, let alone boat on it so we will see how that goes.

You are right however, it does take some amount of patience to boat with the kids. Docking can be an experience along with putting the boat on the trailer. We are always deciding....do the kids go with me and be in the tow vehicle or stay with Dad in the boat while trailering. Definitely safer to be with Dad, but not always real condusive to concentration when 2 kids are yelling "MOOOOOMMMMMMY" at the top of their lungs. Luckily Dad doesn't get rattled too easily
Old 07-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Registered

Talking

I wish my 3 year old daughter liked my boat. She gets scared and I don't want to push her to do something she doesn't want to do...I guess the 24ft Baja bounces too much for her liking.

Having said that, I brought her (by car) to the Radar Shootout in NJ a few Saturdays ago and she LOVED watching all the big bad boats from the dock...I heard her describe "Jet-Set" to her little friends for days..."Jet-Set! It had fire coming out of it", "and other boats looked like rainbow sherbert"...

Maybe there's still hope!
Old 07-26-2002, 08:23 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

It is unbelievable how much stuff a 2 year old needs to go boating! She handles it well though, twin big blocks, 3-4' seas, and she falls asleep every time!
Tbikini, The best place we have found for the baby when docking is strapped in her baby seat in the cabin. No worrying about where she is, not getting underfoot. Much safer and less stressful than trying to get her to sit still.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I have my kids 5 & 2 with me more often than not. They love boating. I think they will remember these great times on the boat forever. The kids seem whine and complain more at home than they do on the boat.

I usually handle all the boat duties and my wife handles the kids.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:39 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Similar sitch here; our two daughters have been boating all their lives. 10-1/2 and 5-1/2 now. They love it.

I think their favorite parts are playing on the beaches we land on, jumping off the swim-step over and over and over and over, and having snacks about every 60 minutes.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:41 PM
Registered

Ihave a daughter that is 12, she is daddy's little girl. she has been in the middle of boating and all types of racing all her life. Both her mom and her stepmom dont really enjoy either to the extent that I do. To make a long story short... last year we where out beached up with a few hundred friends, and my best friend pulled a dead guy out of the water!! She sawit! She has not even mentioned the boat in about a year. Last week she called and wanted to bring a friend down to spend the weekend and go OUT IN THE BOAT!!! I was so happy I could'nt stand it. It'sa really ashame what happened, but I definitly dont want her scared of the lake.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:56 PM
Indiana252

Thumbs up Boating = Smarter Kids

I was reading in a magazine the other day, that children who grow up boating are likely to be smarter than children who have never been. I think it may have been in Powerboat Mag? Not sure, but I grew up boating on the Ohio River, and I'm living proof. Look how smart I am.

Old 07-28-2002, 11:01 PM
Registered

Default Quiet Time..............

Scott we are hoping to hook up with you Jen and Jr. this coming weekend .

We are leaving Thursday night and plan to hook up with B & L and then do some boating perhaps all day saturday.

Im leaving the activities up to B&L and Missamy.

PS............Im bringing the minnows ...........uh er I forgot you had the walleye in your shot.

Quick Reply: Hats Off To Boating Parents!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.