Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496mag (375) >

496mag (375)

Notices

496mag (375)

Old 12-04-2002, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496mag (375)

I took my boat to the dealer four weeks ago for winterization and some warranty work. This is a new 2002 Baja with a 496mag (375) that I took delivering on May 15, 2002. I changed the oil and filter every 25 hours and currently have 115 hours on the motor. One of the items on the list was noise I was hearing from the valve covers the last two times out this season. To me it sounds like a valve tap (I'm no gear head). It would only happen when the motor is cold, after temperature comes up it would stop and run great all day with no signs of any problems.

Dealer ran some test and talked to Mercruiser, but they have not been able to find the source of the knocking (as the dealer called it) The deal tells me that Mercruiser is going to replace the entire motor with a new one.

My problem is this, I live in New Jersey and as most of you know my 2002 boating season is over. Once the dealer is done replacing the motor the boat is going to sit in my driveway until at least April 15, 2003, or one month before the original warranty is set to expirer. I was going to purchase an additional two year warranty before all this happen but now I'm thing that Mercruiser should extend the warranty on the new motor.

Any ideals on what I should do?
Old 12-05-2002, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

How Merc treats your warranty problem certainly seems to be different than how they treated OURS , but what piqued my curiousity is that your engine seems to run fine other than this noise that goes away when engine is warm and they want to REPLACE the engine !!I'm dying to find out what the scoop is with it ..!Plz keep us informed .
Old 12-05-2002, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a great deal. I can't believe their first step was to completely replace the engine with a new one.

I wonder if there is something they're hiding and don't want to come to the surface? You know, better to replace before word gets out???
Old 12-05-2002, 02:38 PM

All good points! Like I said Engine ran fine after it warmed up and the noise was not very loud when cold. Ever with the exhaust closed you could hardly here it. You had to but you ear about 12-inch from the valve cover.

I'll keep everyone update as I progress!
Old 12-06-2002, 11:40 AM

Here's the latest
Mercruiser stand on warranty is this: Since it's our decision to replace the block and heads the warranty will not be extended.
My feeling is: Since something is wrong with the motor and after all the testing and they can't find the problem they have no choice but to replace the block & heads. Also, nobody seems to know what the problem is, or at least they are not saying.

The dealer suggest I call Mercruiser directly and do some *****ing. (good cop, bad cop type of thing)

Dealer quoted me a reduced price of $720 for a one year extension on the warranty and $1200 on a two year extension. Before this problem the quoted prices were $850 for one year and $1500 for two years.

to be continued...
Old 12-06-2002, 12:53 PM
jafo272

Talking

I purchsed the extended warrenty on my 2001 496 HO and yes the price was bargined because the dealer has a cost to sell it and mercruiser has a suggested price. Good luck at the cost game!!

Old 12-07-2002, 01:01 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Listen to this, I had something very similar, sounded like knock, cold idle in a 2001 502, a friend showed me that the oil line was actually vibrating against the valve cover at idle, stuck a sliced piece of rubber hose on it and problem was solved.
My 2 cents.
Bryan
Old 12-09-2002, 09:36 AM

It's my understanding and the dealers that Mer is replacing the entire motor (block, crank, rods, pistons, lifters, valves, water pump, etc..) and reusing the bolt ons (EFI, exhaust, computer, etc..)
As for the warranty it looks like Mer is going to extend the warranty. Not yet determine to what extend and not and not set in stone yet.

The service manager tells me that the sound is more like marbles and doesn't go completely away after engine is warm, it just get quieter.

to be continued...

Last edited by bcoffield; 12-09-2002 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:26 AM

Well the final word from Merc. is as follows:

"We understand your concern about OUR decision to replace your entire motor in Nov. 2002. We also understand your boating season will not start until mid April 15, 2003 and your one year warranty will expire May 15, 2003. However, we at Merc. feel there is no need to extend your original warranty period. We will however, as we do for all our customers, stand behind our products and will fix any problem related to this issue through your 2003 boating season."

I'm tiring to get this statement in writing.

Not really sure why they would say we stand behind our products. But, we're not going to extend your warranty.

Ps: We still don't know the souce of the problem.

to be continued...
Old 12-30-2002, 10:52 PM
JGB
Registered

Had the same problem with one of my twin 496 mags. It made that sound cold, warm all the time with only about 20 or so hours. Merc replaced the engine minus the accessories after fighting hard for a month or so with them to make good on this new engine. this was a year and a half ago. My understanding of the problem was that it was some defective parts put into it when it was assembled. The new engine didn't make the noise and fom my experience the 496 mag should run quiet and extremely smooth in the engine compartment. Good thing this will be taken care of before the next season. I love the engines by the way. they perform similarly to the 502 with what seems like more powerful torque. The performance i get out of my boat with the 375s equals or is a little better than the same boat with 502s. Good Luck