Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Make your boat shine, and say goodbye to wax (long) >

Make your boat shine, and say goodbye to wax (long)

Notices

Make your boat shine, and say goodbye to wax (long)

Old 05-28-2003, 03:05 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Make your boat shine, and say goodbye to wax (long)

I came across a product that I thought I would share with my fellow boaters.
First off: I am VERY anal (picky) about the shine and cleanliness of my boat and car. I used to use Zaino on my car- very time & labor intensive. On the boat I was after the best shine with the least amount of time & effort so I used Meguires Flagship & Klasse. However while reading the Porsche, Ferrari and 350Z forums, everyone there was raving about something called Crystal Guard Quick:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/me...80/211552.html
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...threadid=23207
http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthre...&o=186&fpart=1http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/m...html?1046962993

It sounded too good to be true, wash, rinse, apply Crystal Guard Quick and spread around, rinse, dry, and you have a shine better than ANYTHING I’ve seen in about 30 minutes time. But, I tried it on my Infiniti G35, and this stuff works!!!!!!

Custom Exotica, who sells Crystal Guard arranged for me to test Crystal Guard Quick in the worst possible environment, on my boat in salt water. I have tried many "Marine" waxes and found they don't even last 2 weeks. The last wax I recently tried is Klasse. That produced a nice shine on the paint but as usual the white gel coat looked semi flat. In fact nothing has ever made the gel coat shine like the paint.

Application: I washed and rinsed the boat, then while wet I applied Crystal Guard to the hull sides, transom, front deck, and forward part of the hull. . . . . and then ran out of CG.

I then rinsed the boat and proceeded to dry it with a chamois. At this point the boat looked ok, with 'some' haziness. I then took my microfiber waffle towel and lightly rubbed down the entire areas that were Crystal Guarded. I did not buff, just very light rubbing. At this point the finish was really looking GOOD!!! So good that the dockhands came by and asked me what I was using to get that shine. BTW: My boat is kept VERY clean and shiny at all times, so it's not like I was polishing a turd.

Initial impressions: It was very overcast but: The CG shines like crazy!!! The amazing thing to me is the white gel is now like a mirror and you can see a nice reflection in it. It has never shined like that w/ANY wax. The finish is silky smooth like wax. The painted sections are extremely reflective.

To wash, CG, dry and buff, took about 3.5 hours to do the boat. Bear in mind that 35% of that is 10 feet up, over my head. I was using ladders to do the upper sections. It normally takes 3 to 4 hours JUST to "wax" the boat, so that should be a good indicator on how quick the CG process really is.

I took the boat out twice last weekend.

The CG so far is great. People that I hang with are asking me what I used to get the boat so shiny. You can see reflections in the hull sides like they are mirrors. The front deck (no paint) is unbelievably shiny and still very slick.

The part of the hull that is constantly in salt water still shines, even after having salt water go past it for about 3 to 4 hours of 50 to 70 mph and about 5 hous of just being in salt water. At this point; by my standards, normal wax would be gone and it would be time to wax it again.

I was hoping the transom (which gets very sooty) would clean up easier, but it is no different than wax.

After I wash the boat after each days use, all I have to do is lightly rub the dry sections (about 2 minutes) with a towel and the shine is as good as the first day.

There are two other guys (Macklin & Vyper340) with the same boat, built next in line after mine. One uses Klasse and the other uses Mequires Flagship wax. Both of these wax's are what I used as well, with Klasse giving the best shine & longevity, BUT CGQ outshines both boats (they both are as anal as I) and so far has not worn off any.

More info:
www.crystalguard.com

purchase:
http://www.my350z.com/crystalguard/s...ductid=19&cl=2

Try it, I think you'll be impressed as I.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 05-29-2003 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:48 PM
Eternal Warrior

How much did you need to coat your entire boat? If it works like you say I'm all for it!!!

Old 05-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldnt you have used the word picky instead of saying you are very anal? That just has a bad ring to it!
Old 05-28-2003, 04:50 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Bill, how much do you recommend us getting maybe to last the Summer? I think we find out if they are willing to set up an OSO group purchase.

I am IN !!
Old 05-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too on the group purchase, my old red gelcoat is a bear to keep from chalking. I wonder how it would work on that. Ive always used Flagship too.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:44 PM
bn
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

does the stuff protect from UV like wax does?
Old 05-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Radio Active is shiney, but to keep the scum off, as well as ease of application with a longer shine is well worth the money, count me in for 4 orders, Jeff Jassby 228-216-0900 cell.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:57 PM
MAKDADDY

let me know about a group rate as well

Old 05-29-2003, 04:30 AM
tako

Hi everyone, I am Tako, the owner of CrystalGuard.

We have been testing our products with boats in last few months, and haven't introduced our products yet to boat and airplane industry because we haven't finished all the tests.

We have positive results so far since CG products are based on glass fiber and they are very strong against oxidation and UV.

I recommend you to use CG Pro instead of CG quick because we are comprmising the durability to gain better shine and easier application procedures for CG Quick. CG Quick is still much stronger than wax products, however, if you would like to have better durability, I recommend you to use CG Pro.

If you live in SF Bay Area, I also own a shop to take care of stereo installation and CrystalGuard professional application.

If you have questions, please let me know.

Thanks.

P.S. I am glad you liked my TVR

Tako

Old 05-29-2003, 06:19 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW: I have nothing to do with the company. I guess I am part of their tests!?

Ok, I am a Picky person.

To do the entire top deck, hull sides, transom and hull bottom to first step, I used two of their little bottles.

BTW: my car's shine is as good as those in the pics. Remember I initially tried this stuff for my car.

Here is a pic of right after I applied Crystal Guard Quick.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 05-29-2003 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Make your boat shine, and say goodbye to wax (long)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.