Notices

Michigan noise laws

Old 06-22-2003, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan noise laws

Well the Mr. sherrif Officer DICK up at the lake today put a damper on things. He put his boat in our lake early afternoon and drove right over to our dock. He was inquiring whos powerplay it was. The conversation went on and on. He got cocky and told me they have had 7 complaints over the last weekend and this morning about loud boats and speeding Of course I got cocky back and told him clear as day that this boat was under 90 DB at idle and 75 DB on plane and only fast as 55 Mph He got all fluffed up cause I knew more then he did and ofcourse my boat and dad's were the ones described as the " bad people" My patiance ran out after about the first minute he showed up, I was about to *&@$ up his boston whaler into and make it into a fish struture So dad had to do the talkin My dad told him to come over and check my boat right now, officer DICK said he couldn't cause technically my boat was not in the water ( on the hoist). So in his own words he told me That he is going to ride my ass all the time until I screw up and he catch's me doing something. And the funny thing is our lake is about 4 miles long and about 3/4 mile wide, were always in the middle not really disturbing anyone.

What I need to know so I am prepared is.

Noise laws for michigan, how many DB's, the correct precedure to do a DB test ect..

Does the state have a website with all these details?

Or maybe I should convince the parents to throw a noise party and invite you guys to really make some noise

Thank you

Travis
Old 06-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need a bigger lake.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:50 PM
Registered

I would make sure you are well below the legal limit-

Then get about 100,000 watts of amps and speakers.... and rig up some microphones by the transom...
Old 06-23-2003, 04:57 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Going through the same crap here from an environmentalist group that are pissed that they didn't get their speed limit restrictions.

Anyone that does boating in NJ with a powered vessel be it Outboard or Inboard should do their best to attend this next meeting. This meeting is being held at Bay Head Yacht Club, July 9th 10:00AM and I can assure you, every sailboater and environmentalist will be there. Rumor has it, that the next attack from these groups is about Noise Pollution. Whether you have a center console fishing boat, hi performance boat, or a cruiser, we all will be affected. They are already rallying their people to attend. So here I will do my part to inform the powerboat community of the coming meeting. Hopefully many can attend and we will see who's voices are the loudest ......
Use link below for further information...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-23-2003, 07:00 AM
Registered

If i remember right, Corsa marine once had all that info on their web site....... state by state.....

hope this helps.!

btw, teague marine switchable tips are the coolest. Nobody can even tell you have mufflers from the outside, and they work great.!
Old 06-23-2003, 07:11 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lucy
you need a bigger lake.
I'm with Lucy Sounds like Officer Dick is a big frog in a little pond
Old 06-23-2003, 07:23 AM
Registered

Ask and ye shall receive, my youthful compadre! NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT) Act 451 of 1994.

Direct from the Michigan Legislature web site:

NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)

Act 451 of 1994

324.80156 Motorboat; muffler or underwater exhaust system required; maximum sound levels; test and maximum decibel levels; new motorboat to comply with prescribed sound levels; exceptions; “dB(A)” defined; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 80156.

(1) Subject to subsection (2), a person shall not operate a motorboat on the waters of this state unless the motorboat is equipped and maintained with an effective muffler or underwater exhaust system that does not produce sound levels in excess of 90 dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005 or a sound level in excess of 75 dB(A) when subjected to a shoreline sound level measurement procedure as described by SAE J1970. The operator of a motorboat shall present the motorboat for a sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005 upon the request of a peace officer. If a motorboat is equipped with more than 1 motor or engine, the test shall be performed with all motors or engines operating. To determine whether a person is violating this subsection, a peace officer may measure sound levels pursuant to procedures prescribed in SAE J1970, issued 1991-92.

(2) The department may by rule establish a motorboat sound level test and set a maximum decibel level or levels permitted for motorboat operation that replace the tests and maximum decibel levels permitted under subsection (1). If a test and maximum decibel level or levels are established pursuant to this subsection, all of the following apply:

(a) A person shall not operate a motorboat on the waters of this state if the motorboat produces sound levels that exceed the maximum decibel level or levels established under this subsection.

(b) The operator of a motorboat shall present the motorboat for the sound level test established pursuant to this subsection upon the request of a peace officer.

(c) A motorboat equipped with more than 1 motor or engine shall be tested with all motors or engines operating.

(3) A person shall not manufacture, sell, or offer for sale a motorboat for use on the waters of this state unless that motorboat is equipped and maintained with an effective muffler or underwater exhaust system that complies with the applicable sound levels permitted under subsection (1) or (2).

(4) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to any of the following:

(a) A motorboat tuning up or testing for or participating in official trials for speed records or a sanctioned race conducted pursuant to a permit issued by an appropriate unit of government.

(b) A motorboat being operated by a boat or marine engine manufacturer for the purpose of testing or development.

(c) A motorboat that qualifies as an historic vessel.

(5) As used in this section, “dB(A)” means decibels on the “A” scale on a sound meter having characteristics of a general purpose sound meter as defined by American national standards institute S1.4-1983.

(6) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days and a fine of not less than $100.00 or more than $500.00. Additionally, before putting the motorboat back in use, a person who violates this section is required to install an effective muffler or underwater exhaust system that meets the requirements of this section on the motorboat in violation at his or her expense.

History: Add. 1995, Act 58, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995 ;--Am. 1996, Act 274, Imd. Eff. June 17, 1996 .

Popular Name: Act 451

Popular Name: Marine Safety Act

© 2003 Legislative Council, State of Michigan
I went to the SAE's website (www.sae.org) to see if I could find the procedure described in J2005, but it's $50 to download it. If any OSOer out there has access to the SAE publications, I'd love to see what J2005 specifies; J1970 as well. I'm willing to bet that Barney Fife doesn't have the equipment or training to do a proper test (but don't tell him that - it's your ace in the hole ).
Old 06-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info dock rocker..

At one time I thought I had read on oso, that the proper precudure for testings DB's was somethin like 1 meter back from the transom and 1 meter vertical from the back of the boat, and the DB reader should be on a stick holder, the officer can't have his boat right behind yours.. I don't know if this is all true or not..

And for the record its just a little small block
Old 06-23-2003, 05:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Powerboat magazine had an article about 3 months ago.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Registered

I think it was 3' up and 5' back in Ohio, and our noise law seems to be word for word what yours is. Im up for a noise party...Oh wait, I have underwater exaust

Quick Reply: Michigan noise laws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.