Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When rod guides break..... eek. >

When rod guides break..... eek.

Notices

When rod guides break..... eek.

Old 08-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Mad Hatter

Default When rod guides break..... eek.

This is part 2 of this thread:http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=56562

Well we tore into dad's motor tonight hoping to find a burnt valve. We decided to tear down all the way to the heads to diadnose before we tear the whole motor out. We did the bad side first (0 psi). Went to take the head off dad hands me valve cover without looking at it. I look down and see something shiny and silvery and swipe my finger through it before grabbing. Sho nuf, its metal. Turns out the rod guide on the intake valve broke for one reson or another, causing the rocker to walk all over and eventually pop the valve keeper right out. Luckily at low rpm's the valve got smacked hard enuf that it got pushed outta the way witout doing serious damage to the piston.

So, one down the other to go. we are going to pull the other head tomorrow. It got too late so we called it quits. I'll have pics tomorrow too.

Old 08-14-2003, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See? Not as bad as you first thought, but the metal worries me a little. I guess I'd still lift it out, remove the pan, and clean everything to get the flakes out. I'd also check the front rod bearing and #1 main bearing to see how everything looks. If it's alright I'd bolt it together and finish the season. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to doi a cylinder leakage test while it's on the stand after reassembly.
Let me know if I can be of any help. Dave
Old 08-14-2003, 09:34 AM
Mad Hatter

Yeah I have to say the metal worried us a little too. It looks like its been doing this for a while before it finally popped the retainer.

Old 08-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's a tough call this late in the year as to which way you should go. It's possible everything in the bottom will look great so that all you have to do is clean everything out, flush the oil cooler and lines, do a nice clean top end assembly and enjoy the Labor Day weekend. It really doesn't take much time for something to start shedding some metal filings in the engine, so It's possible you caught this very early.