Desert Stprm >

Desert Stprm

Notices

Desert Stprm

Old 05-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bripar77
Yea AJ I expected that you would comment, seems how the GPS tattle tale still shows exactly 160 MPH from when you had it. . I just need a little time to find out the limits of the boat expecially in roughed up water. I had at least 800 RPM left and it was building speed still but ran out of room. Also I want the thing to last a full weekend which as of now with this intercooler issue hasn't happened yet. How fast has your 40Gone so far? Did you build Quad Whipple Motors or just large single Whipples?

Will you be at Lake Cumberland this year for the Poker Run?
We passed you a few times bro.....sorry to here of motor problems. My used Sterlings lasted a whopping 1hour.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Intercoolers burn because they are on fire. This is not from a backfire, lack of water or high discharge heat. It takes over 2000deg F to melt those CuNi cores, and not a flash, such as a backfire, which subsides when the fuel is burned, but a sustained temp. This is caused from some type of engine misfire or ignition of the fuel coming of the SC. Misfires can happen for multiple reasons, bad distrubutors (cylinder fires too early or too late), lean air fuel in 1 cylinder, bad spark plug, etc. The engine misfire is the most common, it lights the fuel/air charge out of the SC, which comes out at a high pressure, concentrated area causing it to act like a blow torch. The engine must continue to run, that is key, because you can't melt the core in 1 second. Dual engine boats are the worse because you can't feel such a drop in power, but it does lose power. Other applications, with very aggressive camshafts, can have the intake valve open during some part of combustion, allowing the flame to backtrack up through the intercooler, to the air and fuel source (SC).

Thanks,
Dustin
Good info thanks Dustin. I was told that if the motor backfires or has a severe misfire to shut the motor down as quickly as possible in order to kill that flame so it sounds like that advice is correct.
Thanks again
-Tom
Old 05-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Registered

Default Intercooler Melt

Whipple how long does it take to melt. I am trying to figure out if there is a plenum fire then why doesn't the engine just quit running ie: using all of the Air Fuel you would think that the engine would run out and quit. I guess not all of the Air Fuel is being used in the fire?

I would guess that if we had a 2000 degree or above blow torch in the plenum then wouldn't there be other damage as well to gaskets and maybe the block?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Whipple how long does it take to melt. I am trying to figure out if there is a plenum fire then why doesn't the engine just quit running ie: using all of the Air Fuel you would think that the engine would run out and quit. I guess not all of the Air Fuel is being used in the fire?

I would guess that if we had a 2000 degree or above blow torch in the plenum then wouldn't there be other damage as well to gaskets and maybe the block?

Thanks
You need not worry about other damage the intercooler leaking water into the engine will kill it.

Just a thought if you could put a electric eye in the plenum
more or less like a residental oil burner. Have maybe a two second delay that would kill spark.

If you think about it all conditions must be just right for it to occur.

Good Luck
You guys wanna see some flames come out on my Pig
Old 05-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Registered

Default Intercooler

Whipple I know it takes 2000 degress to melt Cupernickel but what about the Silver Solder that is usually used to put it all together?

How does a Spark travel backwards through the intake manifold and then through the intercooler (the melting occurred on the top of the intercooler) if the engine was running? Seems impossible. I wonder if what may have happened is that the last time I shut the engines down that somehow a misfire occured and a spark did indeed travel baclwards up into the intercooler (because the engine was not running) and started a small fire in some pooled up fuel on top of the intercooler. Then when I restarted the engine the new fuel ai mixture then started the blow torch that melted it?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Whipple I know it takes 2000 degress to melt Cupernickel but what about the Silver Solder that is usually used to put it all together?

How does a Spark travel backwards through the intake manifold and then through the intercooler (the melting occurred on the top of the intercooler) if the engine was running? Seems impossible. I wonder if what may have happened is that the last time I shut the engines down that somehow a misfire occured and a spark did indeed travel baclwards up into the intercooler (because the engine was not running) and started a small fire in some pooled up fuel on top of the intercooler. Then when I restarted the engine the new fuel ai mixture then started the blow torch that melted it?
Interesting!

Maybe not really a spark but a flame. Kinda like when ur setting the distributer for the first time and its slightly retarded and pop a flame apears at the top of the carb.

Unfourtanetly it is all speculation.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I just installed Pyrometers in my boat to measure exhaust gas temp. Wouldnt the Pyrometer gauge pick up the increased temp? Autometer also makes an intake temp gauge.