Offshore Catamaran of the Year - Powerboat Mag

Notices

Offshore Catamaran of the Year - Powerboat Mag

Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Xchoke,

For simplicity & cost savings sake I opted for a standard Skater sized hatch located in the center of the deck b/c the boat is white there & would be easier to match the paint. Obviously 2 storage lockers one over each sponson gives you the most useable space plus access to the bow area. I only have the space between the deck & the tunnel which isn't much (see pic) not to mention the fact that there's a stringer up the middle. Skater said they'd get creative w/ a net or piece of canvas in order to keep the items stored within reach. Is it the ideal solution No but it certainly is providing me some additional space the boat currently doesn't have.

Michael

Awesome, can't wait to see how it turns out !!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by activatorf1
I'm in the Process of making an aft cabin in my 32 Classic OB Skater ! Spoke to Peter about it and said a few people have done that . I'm also installing a cat box !! AKA Toilet
If you could also contribute to the thread with some pics that would really kick ass. I'd love to see some creative ideas being done with what is now truely dead space.

Sorry to change the theme but this is a Great Thread !!!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

New deck storage locker
Attached Thumbnails Offshore Catamaran of the Year - Powerboat Mag-currently.jpg  
Old 05-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Very Nice!! Best of luck. I have my power out and going back in shortly!!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Registered

X-choke , I need to talk to you , I almost bought the boat you have now , I dragged my feet and lost it , anyway please call me , I would like to get some info on how a 32 runs with 2-300 's . I'm going with Opti's as soon as I sell my 24 ft race boat listed under cigarette .

Larry @609-315-2640
Old 07-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Registered

Default Bow Storage Complete

I have to say Chris & the boys @ Skater did a fine job adding a bow storage locker to a boat that was already complete. I knew I wanted some more storage space but know idea what size it would end up & how I'd be able to keep everything from bouncing around inside ultimately ending up out of reach. I chose to have one storage locker cut in the center of the deck for 2 reasons, one I didn't need that much space, two it's a little more expensive to add them after the fact. Sort of like new construction vs. an addition.

The distance (depth) from the flange to the top of the tunnel is approx 18". There also is a stringer that runs right up the middle. Skater fabricated an alum ring that sits flush in the flange & sewed an oversize nylon sock (sail like material) to it. The bag is probably 4' deep & will allow soft gear to extend forward & aft of the actual hatch opening. The tunnel is approx 3ft wide there so if you only put gear on one side of the stringer it probably would slide down into the sponson which is no big deal since it's still inside the nylon sock. I store fenders, lines & life jackets in mine & it has been a most welcome addition freeing up space in my cockpit side storage compartments.

You can't really see it in the EMPTY bow storage pic but I thru bolted 2- eyes into the stringer so I can fasten my anchor inside. I have a Small Box anchor which collapses nicely into a duffle bag. I padded the bottom of the bag as to not have the anchor riding against the tunnel. I don't leave the anchor in when Poker Running or rough water boating as I don't want it beating the piss out of the tunnel. The duffle & anchor are very secure w/ very little slack to move in any direction but I prefer to be safe than sorry. Being able to throw & retrieve my anchor from the bow has been a welcome addition to my boating.

Last edited by NASCAT; 07-01-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Registered

Bow Storage Pics
Attached Thumbnails Offshore Catamaran of the Year - Powerboat Mag-skater-hatch-001.jpg   Offshore Catamaran of the Year - Powerboat Mag-skater-hatch-006.jpg   Offshore Catamaran of the Year - Powerboat Mag-skater-hatch-007.jpg  

Old 07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Registered

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Offshore Catamaran of the Year - Powerboat Mag-skater-hatch-008.jpg   Offshore Catamaran of the Year - Powerboat Mag-skater-hatch-010.jpg  
Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Registered

Nice pics ! How do you like the boat overall? I Had a 328 outboard that i sold and am looking to do something new . How does the boat handle etc.? Are the drives holding up?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Registered

I owned a Spectre 32 w/ Ilmor 625's previously. The Skater is definitely a higher quality better built boat. I think the Skater is geared towards the true performance / poker run boater & one of the main reasons I traded up.

I like the 30 which in reality is the same size as my Spectre 32 since the Spectre had about 2' of overhang in the stern. The Skater appears to be alot larger because it has such hard, flat lines but it's not really. Tunnel is most definitely larger & I think that lends itself to some better rough water capabilities.

So the answer to your question is YES I like the Skater, only have about 10 hrs of personal use on her so I can't say I've experienced it all. I prefer the Port Helm but don't care for the porpoise (Spectre didn't porpoise at all) from 60-80mph. 100mph seems to be the sweet spot where she runs very smooth & comfortably.

You had to mention drives didn't you. The drives are holding up fine w/ approx 30hrs on them. I had Teagues on my Spectre & they didn't last very long between rebuilds. This boat was originally built w/ IMCO 1000's then replaced w/ the IMCO Extremes which seem to be holding up fine. The Skater is quite a bit lighter than the Spectre too. When considering upgrading from the Spectre to the Skater the drives were definitely a sticking point. I plan to see how they fare the remainder of this season then consider Ilmors' new Dry Sump drive or possibly IMCO SCX. I'd prefer to have a complete Ilmor powertrain as their service & support has been excellent.

Quick Reply: Offshore Catamaran of the Year - Powerboat Mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.