Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
388SLW Special Edition Cat Coming Soon!!!! >

388SLW Special Edition Cat Coming Soon!!!!

Notices

388SLW Special Edition Cat Coming Soon!!!!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by GATORONE
pp3
Why are you online? Aren't you on vacation?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not want to regret getting a 32 with twins and going damn I wish I had the 30 for more speed. kap

Well put trips on it then.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Funny you posted this I have seen that boat video several times and it is very impressive--- sweet boat but for the canopy.
The canopy and tunnel hatch(if it has one) would seal the deal for me, I like the security and there's no telling what could happen to a 32' boat in the ocean.
Hello Catmando:

When was the last time you were in a full canopy boat? Second, when was the last time you pleasure boated in a canopy boat? add summer heat and you will definitely re-think that equation.

Simply put not practical for a pleasure boat NOT under any circumstances.

I was in Sarasota in 98 degree heat and I could not imagine being in a full canopy boat...it would be a virtual sweatbox.

Originally Posted by Catmando
I do not want to regret getting a 32 with twins and going damn I wish I had the 30 for more speed. kap
Well put trips on it then.
You could do triples but then you lose all the transom area. Plus the center motor gearcase get's beat to hell. Plus, the cost goes up to the point... you might as well have two naturally aspirated motors and go a lot faster than any outboard.

A good example is Dale Rayzors 30 flatdeck runs hella fast and has naturally aspirated motors with Arnesons.

Nope it would be twins or nothing for me.

KAP

Last edited by kap328; 07-16-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned

I'm aware of heat issues in canopy boats. The 46' Skater Lick This has air conditioning so it can be done.

I know a guy with a 23' cat with twin o/bs mounted in the tunnel. I saw the pic and asked him about that very thing. He said he's had no issues with the gearcases but I wondered about it, not the way I would have rigged that boat...I think a short centerpod would keep the center case clear, but how would you retrofit that??
Old 07-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Registered

just wanted to add my usaul banter. this topic has many people agianst it.

if you have experience in a canopy race boat than by all means why not for pleasure. canopys are far safer, hence the reason all the big cats use them.

i have first hand experience in canopy and non-canopy pleasure. docking is harder but you just need to be use to it. no biggie.

as far as being hot goes, don't be ridiculous, if its 98 degrees out its 98 degrees out. yes canopys get hot thats why you need blowers. with 4 blowers and the shade the canopy provides, its not that bad. now, yes at 60+ mph the "cool 98 degree" breeze feels good but its still 98 degrees. and if you have to idle for any period of time your screwed. the sun is brutal. would you rather stand out in the sun or sit in the shade?

AC - theres a few AC systems out there for high performance boats. the one that i have experience with, thats built specifically for race and high performance boats, sucks. we're currently working with a friend that does AC for heavy equipment and making our own system from off the shelf pieces for about 1/3 of the cost and puts out 2x the btu's.

the 12 volt systems are crap. you really need to have a pump on the motor.

a quick comparison. the Ac in a 2 man canopy race boat can barely lower the temp 5-10 degrees. from talking with several other racers this is about typical. the system i had in my crane worked so good it condensated on the widows, in a mostly glass windowed cab on a sunny day in SW florida with air temp above 95, and could run the AC at med to low once the cab temp was cooled down. it worked better then my Ford 4 door cab and that AC works great. so it can be done just gotta do the homework.

as for mounting in the tunnel. its hard on the tunnel o/b. had a 32 b model w/ 3x 300x's and the middle unit failed once. i only had the boat for about 6 months. nothing beats inboards and BBC's.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Registered

Hello Skaterdave:

Funny you should chime in on this topic today as it was 116 degrees in Lake Havasu yesterday. I don't care who you are but you couldn't put me in a canopy boat in that type of heat much less my family.

Note: I boat in the South West so high temps are the norm.

AC you would need a 2.5 ton AC unit in your boat to even make a difference. In a open cockpit boat when cruising you have the wind to at least make it bearable. We jump off the back of the boat and then continue on as the conditions dry you off when your running.

I agree with you the 12 volt systems are a joke so if your going to a standard marine system you need a generator....more weight. Hell you might as well have bought a Viking or big Formula cruiser.

Second, out west my idea of pleasure boating is not having my family climb in and out of a hatch on a canopy boat everytime we come to a stop. I mean seriously the ricky racer stuff belongs on the race course and for single guys looking to impress. [This is a general statement/opinion not intended toward you.]

Yes canopy boats are safer to an extent--- However, I cannot imagine having to teach my family about how to climb out of the floor or top hatch in the event of an emergency. You would also need oxygen tanks for everyone and no one under a certain age could be in the boat....on and on....you get the picture.

Also the visibility in a canopy boat is intended for race courses not general boating where your constantly on the look out for jet skiers and other boaters. A full canopy boat has limited visibility when compared to an open cockpit boat which literally has the ability to view the surroundings 360 degrees.

As for being in the sun please be patient I will show you a system that works and makes pleasure boating in a open cockpit cat very cool. Plus, you can run up to a certain speed with little to no effort.

KAP

P.S. As for the triple outboards the cost/performance analysis ultimately puts you into the inboard class without question on anything 32 foot and less. A 30ft Skater with NA BBC motors and Arnesons and you can hit 150MPH++ can't say that with any outboards.

P.P.S. Good effort Skaterdave thanks for the banter.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Registered

i was there for Havasu Race and was too hot then. 116 sucks no matter what your doing.

call me when you get a Pre -runner truck with AC.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by skaterdave
i was there for Havasu Race and was too hot then. 116 sucks no matter what your doing.

call me when you get a Pre -runner truck with AC.
Hey Skaterdave:

You call me when you take your trophy truck out. All you Skater boaters are dual sport ballers.

I will bring the right size helmet with cool air plumbing

Yup today was blazing---you couldn't go out without a bimini top. Good day to float around in the water and not move too much.

KAP
Old 07-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kap328
Hey Skaterdave:

You call me when you take your trophy truck out. All you Skater boaters are dual sport ballers.

I will bring the right size helmet with cool air plumbing

KAP
unfortunately, thats one of the toys, i've never got to play with. the closest i got is a honda atv. i will say i was amazed about everyone driving around with registrered UTVs.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

AC - theres a few AC systems out there for high performance boats. the one that i have experience with, thats built specifically for race and high performance boats, sucks. we're currently working with a friend that does AC for heavy equipment and making our own system from off the shelf pieces for about 1/3 of the cost and puts out 2x the btu's. Skaterdave

If it works you'll sell a lot of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.