36 Skater Project >

36 Skater Project

Notices

36 Skater Project

Old 06-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by da*****rcury
I received my newly shortened (again) tie bars back from Latham Marine today I decided to tighten the distance between each engine. . Latham is outstanding to work with, my contact there is Tom Gongola. Their prices are reasonable. Their work and service is second to none
How many inches or part thereof did you bring the engines inward. What is the new measurement from the center prop-shaft to outer engine propshaft? I'll also send you a few "good" pix the sportsmaster below the hull, approx 1 3/4" =hull bottom to center of the bullet. Same on both engines, still wondering why I get such a bouncing water pressure from the side I slung a blade lh. Sorry for hijacking your thread, just a learning curve for me.

Last edited by Andy; 06-22-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy
How many inches or part thereof did you bring the engines inward. What is the new measurement from the center prop-shaft to outer engine propshaft? I'll also send you a few "good" pix the sportsmaster below the hull, approx 1 3/4" =hull bottom to center of the bullet. Same on both engines, still wondering why I get such a bouncing water pressure from the side I slung a blade lh. Sorry for hijacking your thread, just a learning curve for me.
Andy, I had the 3 bars shortened 2.5 " each. Taking the outside engine prop shaft center meaurement to 66.75" (from 74.25") the reason I did this is to bring the 2 outside props in closer to the tunnel to help raise the bow when running.
No worries, water pressure spiking normally occurs when running fast in rough water when boat/gearcase leaving and re-entering water.
What is the water pressure like running in calm water?

Last edited by davidmercury; 06-22-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by da*****rcury
Andy, I had the 3 bars shortened 2.5 " each. Taking the outside engine prop shaft center meaurement to 66.75".
No worries, water pressure spiking normally occurs when running fast in rough water when boat/gearcase leaving and re-entering water.
What is the water pressure like running in calm water?
1 5/8 is the measurement, just checked again. Just text a guy running his 24 for years, he has tried almost every engine and prop choise his brother races a 28 Skater. He is the one that told me to hang the engines off the back, no jack plate in the 4th hole on the mounting plate of the engines. Both same height. I found another 15X34 3 blade lh Merc cleaver will be here Friday for more testing, thanx Ron Hill. I'm going to swap pressure gauge left to right as there should be no deviation. LH, the one that bounces its 3-5 psi more than the right at most times. I will send pix to you as can't post them here.

Last edited by Andy; 06-22-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

1 5/8 is the measurement, just checked again. Just text a guy running his 24 for years, he has tried almost every engine and prop choise his brother races a 28 Skater. He is the one that told me to hang the engines off the back, no jack plate in the 4th hole on the mounting plate of the engines. Both same height. I found another 15X34 3 blade lh Merc cleaver will be here Friday for more testing, thanx Ron Hill. I'm going to swap pressure gauge left to right as there should be no deviation. LH, the one that bounces its 3-5 psi more than the right at most times. I will send pix to you as can't post them here.
If that doent work It might be a water impeller issue. Do you know when the last time they were replaced?
Old 06-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as hijacking is approved, you guys are confusing me (easily done) 1 3/4" above or below the bottom ??

Good Morning, Guys :-)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nice Pair
As long as hijacking is approved, you guys are confusing me (easily done) 1 3/4" above or below the bottom ??

Good Morning, Guys :-)
Above, bullet or front of the drive has to be above the water. New water pumps and drive shaft kits with 4 "O" rings

Last edited by Andy; 06-23-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Below, bullet or front of the drive has to be in the water. New water pumps and drive shaft kits with 4 "O" rings
The centerline of your propshafts need to be around 1.5" ABOVE the bottom of the sponsons (directly in front of the gearcase), not BELOW. The Sportmaster gearcase is designed to run at transom heights with the propshaft centerline above the bottom of the boat - up to around 2" max. If your propshaft centerlines are truly 1.5" BELOW the sponsons, you're giving up a LOT of mph..........
Old 06-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skater30
The centerline of your propshafts need to be around 1.5" ABOVE the bottom of the sponsons (directly in front of the gearcase), not BELOW. The Sportmaster gearcase is designed to run at transom heights with the propshaft centerline above the bottom of the boat - up to around 2" max. If your propshaft centerlines are truly 1.5" BELOW the sponsons, you're giving up a LOT of mph..........
So sorry, yes, prop centerline of my 24 is ABOVE the hull directly in front of the bullet. Mine is 1 5/8 above. I have changed all my reply's.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey David, how's the project coming along? :-)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:33 PM
B85
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not a cat guy. Have a question about the drag of the lower units. Is it not better to have the outboard in line with the hulls ? Seems that the hulls have disrupted the water so why not have the lower unit drag their also ?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.