Skater 30 Race/Pleasure Spotted in Sacramento

Notices

Skater 30 Race/Pleasure Spotted in Sacramento

Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Nascat:

I have been watching your project and I like the ILMOR power you have chosen. However, there was many a time I wanted to tell you [stop] put some Arnesons on it and be done.

The blueprint for a successful combination on that hull is Rayzor's boat----this brings to mind the old saying why reinvent the wheel.

Your boat would be unique with the ILMOR power and servicing should not be problem. Plus if you had Arnesons on it you could service them yourself because I doubt anything would go wrong with those drives given the power your putting to them.

KAP
P.S. Nascat you will have a awesome boat---nevertheless I want to see how it does top end wise.

P.P.S. Hey Rik how fast does Rayzors boat go i.e.. GPS w/photos no fantasy numbers.
I heard Rayzor's boat has Sterling 850's in it & runs in the 150's. I don't have that kind of power & to be honest while Skater will water test tomorrow & we'll see what top end they post unlike the other Ilmor Indy drive cats I have 1.50 drives (the others have 1.39) which may not yield as high a top end but will be a much more useable ratio for roll on acceleration. Even in a poker run unless the conditions are perfect it's rare that I see WOT for any length of time so to gear a boat in an effort to post some big #'s that I might actually achieve 5x a yr for a total of 10-15mins of boating doesn't make sense.

If I plan to go to the shootout next year then I can have Ilmor swap the ratio's just for that event.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Even in a poker run unless the conditions are perfect it's rare that I see WOT for any length of time so to gear a boat in an effort to post some big #'s that I might actually achieve 5x a yr for a total of 10-15mins of boating doesn't make sense.
Well said, and I absolutely agree!

I am also looking forward to your final results.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

Finishing up the indicators & reinstalling the hatches today. They are going to reweigh tomorrow prior to sea trialing so we can compare original build to current build.

Keep an eye on the other thread I don't want to be guilty of a Hijacking here.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard Rayzor's boat has Sterling 850's in it & runs in the 150's. I don't have that kind of power & to be honest while Skater will water test tomorrow & we'll see what top end they post unlike the other Ilmor Indy drive cats I have 1.50 drives (the others have 1.39) which may not yield as high a top end but will be a much more useable ratio for roll on acceleration. Even in a poker run unless the conditions are perfect it's rare that I see WOT for any length of time so to gear a boat in an effort to post some big #'s that I might actually achieve 5x a yr for a total of 10-15mins of boating doesn't make sense.

If I plan to go to the shootout next year then I can have Ilmor swap the ratio's just for that event.
Hello Nascat:

I always like to know why people opt for certain set-ups rather than trying to persuade them into X or Y. I believe drive gear ratio is critical as it directly affects which props you can run.

If you change to a 1.36 GR later you will need different sets of props to get that top end number. I went up in HP drastically and went from a 1.50 back down to a 1.36 inorder to use the same set of props. It gets seriously expensive to have two sets of go fast props for the boat. Keep in mind I'm running a single whereas your running a twin---double the cost.

I really like your ideas with the ILMOR for ocean purposes and it seems to be a great universal combination closed cooling NA power with easy servicability. I look forward to hearing what your numbers are and how you like the set-up.

KAP

Last edited by kap328; 08-23-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're high on one and low on the other. We do not have 850's, that would have cost another 30K and is not worth it.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
You're high on one and low on the other. We do not have 850's, that would have cost another 30K and is not worth it.
Like I said it's what I heard but obviously it's a secret. I'd find it hard to believe that 750's could push it into the 160's since you stated my #'s were shy & I said 150's which would encompass the range of 151-159mph!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kap328
Hello Nascat:

I always like to know why people opt for certain set-ups rather than trying to persuade them into X or Y. I believe drive gear ratio is critical as it directly affects which props you can run.

If you change to a 1.36 GR later you will need different sets of props to get that top end number. I went up in HP drastically and went from a 1.50 back down to a 1.36 inorder to use the same set of props. It gets seriously expensive to have two sets of go fast props for the boat. Keep in mind I'm running a single whereas your running a twin---double the cost.

I really like your ideas with the ILMOR for ocean purposes and it seems to be a great universal combination closed cooling NA power with easy servicability. I look forward to hearing what your numbers are and how you like the set-up.

KAP
KAP,

All good points but when I said I would make the ratio swap for the 2011 Shootout it was intended as a N/C collaborated effort not one as a privateer where I'd own & pay for everything.

As for the power it's a great reliable, light weight & fuel efficient package. Keep your ear to the ground b/c I think another release is forthcoming & it will be in the 800's.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Registered

KAP,

All good points but when I said I would make the ratio swap for the 2011 Shootout it was intended as a N/C collaborated effort not one as a privateer where I'd own & pay for everything.

As for the power it's a great reliable, light weight & fuel efficient package. Keep your ear to the ground b/c I think another release is forthcoming & it will be in the 800's.
Hello Nascat:

Well why didn't you say ILMOR was the company behind your project. I'm sure they have plenty of props to loan.

You might have a winner at LOTO not to many 30 foot and under twin cats running fast with naturally aspirated power. If Rayzor ever decided to leave Discovery Bay and run his boat at LOTO he might liike it alot I think he is a xenophob---ha look it up Dale j/k.

In any event I have won my class at LOTO two years running and I can say it is not easy to hit the high numbers in a mile. You can literally see the finish line from the start box---I heard a lot of excuses at the docks.

Let us know what your numbers are. I for one would really like to know. As for Rayzors boat I think it hits 156 on the top end but do not know how long it takes to get there ie...distance wise.

KAP

P.S. I know there is a guy with twin ILMOR and number six drives but I think that combo is a tad on the heavy side. Versus your combination. Nascat get to work and let us know how the combo performs.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Registered

The other Skater w/ Ilmor 710's & #6's belongs to Stainless. Very nice boat / package!

I'm awaiting the call but as stated before posts about my boats performance will be on the other thread.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Registered

KAP,

800+ WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.