Skater vs MTI >

Skater vs MTI

Notices

Skater vs MTI

Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Skater vs MTI

Has this been done? I searched the threads and have not seen a Skater vs MTI debate. Since it's winter here in the Midwest, we need something to occupy our time because there is nothing else to do so I thought I'd stir it up a little.

Since I'm new to this game, I figured this would be as delicate as the Ford vs Chevy (in this case more like Ferrari vs Lamborghini) debate.

So I would expect a Skater of same size and power to be much more superior than the MTI product (just trying to get things off to a gentlemanly start).

Disclaimer: I love both boats and would have went with an MTI in a heartbeat if the circumstance were right. Just trying to get an interesting topic debated here with a little fun involved.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

BAM, there's not much to discuss. If you do the research, it really just comes down to this... do you want the original innovator or a variant of it?

After reading what all the old timers in this sport have said, it just boils down to that.

Edit: BAM, do a search for the Cat history thread. T2X (RL) puts it all out there and its worth reading start to finish.

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 11-26-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it comes down to if you want a Ferrari or a Aston Martin or maybe a Lambo or a Bentley....

Both are amazing pieces of work that stretch the limits of technology and imagination. Cig and Apache were probably the first big V-Hull manufacturers but does that mean that OL isn't a great boat, of course not!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered

It seems to me like MTI is running away with their business model. All the big money boats ( corvette , phantom, windship , hammertime, and many others) are MTI. Maybe they just get all the press but it seems there are 10 MTIs to every Skater.

Look at the MTI website then look at Skaters. If I were researching a new boat purchase MTI makes it a whole lot easier.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
If I were researching a new boat purchase MTI makes it a whole lot easier.

You hit the nail on the head there. Its unfortunate that Skater doesn't invest in a little more positive marketing. Go to the Miami boat show with a check in hand to buy a new cat, then visit the two booths. It would be an easy choice for someone new to the scene. MTI puts on a heck of a display, whereas the Skaters are so crammed in all you can see is the interiors.

Websites are a whole 'nother ballgame.. I'd sure love to see a big Skater showing at the PR's like cig/pier57 does..
Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
You hit the nail on the head there. Its unfortunate that Skater doesn't invest in a little more positive marketing. Go to the Miami boat show with a check in hand to buy a new cat, then visit the two booths. It would be an easy choice for someone new to the scene. MTI puts on a heck of a display, whereas the Skaters are so crammed in all you can see is the interiors.

Websites are a whole 'nother ballgame.. I'd sure love to see a big Skater showing at the PR's like cig/pier57 does..
Yes, MTI came out in force this year at KW. Randy interacts with his customers. He spoke with me for about 45 minutes at the LOTO Shootout this year about his new center console. He seems very engaged.

To be fair though, I don't know a thing about Skaters, especially new ones. We may also be biased because MTI headquarters is not far from LOTO.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Although not relevant to the Skater vs MTI debate but for what it's worth I wrote to the Skater contact (through the website) regarding a lack of spec's availible. I had a really quick reply stating that the fellow responsible was going to the factory this week and to check the site later in the week or next week - it is all supposed to be there then...

I think it was John Tomlinson that was apparently that Skaters were better in the rough water and the MTI's were faster in the smooth. This is going back a number of years so the innovations in hull bottoms between then and now may change different peoples opinions
Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

whom ever does skaters web site needs to get themselves out of highschool and go torwards a new carrer. it plainly sucks but i would not judge a boat by a web site. judge them by their performance. in the races the skaters walk the mti's regardless of how randy takes time to speak with you he is selling a slower boat that is not built as well and last i read the boats were built by someone else in wisconsin only rigged and painted in mo.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skaters sell themselves, peter is a much more layed back owner than RAndy. PEter is more involved and interested in the day to day building of the product. Mti is a great boat but has went the bling bling direction instead of pure race performance as skater has. Skater has the most efficient hull in the 388. You will see a new longer even more efficient 44 ' hull soon that will compete with the mystic, mti, peters hulls which are all 44' hulls. Skater hulls are lighter and stronger than the mti hull.mti's have the interior bling.

Last edited by Lexanlarry; 11-26-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Registered

Looks like it's time to line them up and run. The Apache vs Skater thread took off like a virus so I am calling out the MTI owners to show up to the onion run and show your stuff!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.