Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Arneson and Skater come together to build one Bad Ass Fat Boy! >

Arneson and Skater come together to build one Bad Ass Fat Boy!

Notices

Arneson and Skater come together to build one Bad Ass Fat Boy!

Old 02-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Yes
GM had a booth at the Miami show and said the engine weight was like 600 lbs. One can bet on 1,000 lbs for a BBC blower motor.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked on the lsa motor, 6.2 intercooled, supercharged 580 hp for $10,000 and weighs 650 lbs, what a great boat engine. For that price why isnt it being used everywhere? Mast sells the 670hp version vette marine engine for 16,995, what a deal

Last edited by Polonzapie; 02-23-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thumbs up fatboy

Originally Posted by skate
Attachment 494441

It looks lost in the motor compartment compared to a BBC.
Rik, with a motor that small and a Arneson drive I think we could do a FatBoy series with the 28' outboard hull?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by blume
Rik, with a motor that small and a Arneson drive I think we could do a FatBoy series with the 28' outboard hull?
About 10 yrs ago we were wanting to use the now defunct Nascar V6 engines in a 28'. They made like 650 hp and when they stopped using them the engines were dirt cheap to buy.

Take a 28' add 3' to the stern, widen it 24" and you would have one bad ass boat. Shallow tunnel, narrow sponson and huge speed potential.

There is a 28' Skater with a single SSM#6 on it and it's for sale.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
About 10 yrs ago we were wanting to use the now defunct Nascar V6 engines in a 28'. They made like 650 hp and when they stopped using them the engines were dirt cheap to buy.

Take a 28' add 3' to the stern, widen it 24" and you would have one bad ass boat. Shallow tunnel, narrow sponson and huge speed potential.

There is a 28' Skater with a single SSM#6 on it and it's for sale.
After landing my 28 with 21" midsection 300Xs on its side a couple of times at LOTO coming back from the Shootout I realized how important beam and Center of gravity are. I really wanted a wider boat with outboards and still have the speed of the 28. A 308 with 300 XS is a great combo but sacrificed the speed I wanted. Dave Bush and Simon both will make more power with he 300 X and XS but not enough yet to get we're I wanted to be.

I was intrigued and hopeful when Seven Marine developed their outboard but it is targeted to the CC market and at 1045 lbs each I could not imagine a ton hanging on the transom that high not to mention unproven lower unit put to the test on a Skater.

After seeing Jim's success with his LS7's and 308 I thought what would be the best power to weight ratio. The LSA stood out as well as the proven and dependable ASD 7M. I literally have an Indmar LSA certified mechanic 12 minutes from my house. The big question is will they hold up.

It's funny that the Seven Marine outboard uses the same engine and weighs 1045 lbs. The LSA ASD 7M Aluminum Velvet drive weighs 1043 lbs but the center of gravity using the Arneson set up is much better.

I will admit that the thought of a widened flat deck 28 with modified 300Xs or XS has kept me up a few nights. Now the LSA Arneson combo in a 28 maybe.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 AM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik

That would be a real great combo !!

easy to trailer even in small marina s and fast ass hell !

I think it might sell better as you think as there s a lot of interest in the "smaller " under 30' boats
Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by skate
After landing my 28 with 21" midsection 300Xs on its side a couple of times at LOTO coming back from the Shootout I realized how important beam and Center of gravity are. I really wanted a wider boat with outboards and still have the speed of the 28. A 308 with 300 XS is a great combo but sacrificed the speed I wanted. Dave Bush and Simon both will make more power with he 300 X and XS but not enough yet to get we're I wanted to be.

I was intrigued and hopeful when Seven Marine developed their outboard but it is targeted to the CC market and at 1045 lbs each I could not imagine a ton hanging on the transom that high not to mention unproven lower unit put to the test on a Skater.

After seeing Jim's success with his LS7's and 308 I thought what would be the best power to weight ratio. The LSA stood out as well as the proven and dependable ASD 7M. I literally have an Indmar LSA certified mechanic 12 minutes from my house. The big question is will they hold up.

It's funny that the Seven Marine outboard uses the same engine and weighs 1045 lbs. The LSA ASD 7M Aluminum Velvet drive weighs 1043 lbs but the center of gravity using the Arneson set up is much better.

I will admit that the thought of a widened flat deck 28 with modified 300Xs or XS has kept me up a few nights. Now the LSA Arneson combo in a 28 maybe.
The #7M Kit is under 300 lbs with the aluminum velvet drive transmissions. They save 37 lbs each over the cast iron version. So 263 plus 650= 913 lbs a side..

Who needs outboards
Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by bor
That would be a real great combo !!

easy to trailer even in small marina s and fast ass hell !

I think it might sell better as you think as there s a lot of interest in the "smaller " under 30' boats
It would be hard to compete price wise though as a full composite boat would require about 45 days in the mold vs. far fewer days for the others.

Fast it would be though.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

These boats are nothing short of amazing. Quality looks and performance.

Please loose the hardley Davidson "fat boy" name. A innovative boat shouldn't borrow it's name from somewhere else.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by Hustler40
These boats are nothing short of amazing. Quality looks and performance.

Please loose the hardley Davidson "fat boy" name. A innovative boat shouldn't borrow it's name from somewhere else.
Hey Blume, someone has never seen a picture of you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.