new to me 308 >

new to me 308

Notices

new to me 308

Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

never mind guys I have two on order...may need a little help getting the cg right but it should haul @ss with these babies on it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529651[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails new to me 308-308-outboard-replacement.jpg  
Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kinda engine is that?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 536 Likes on 330 Posts

I'm curious too. Looks like a V-8 with exhaust manifolds whose exhaust pipes are directed down and to the rear?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like a chevy 6.2 with aftermarket fuel injection.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have gone ahead and purchased two Mercury Power heads. can't wait on those 500# 400hp dream engines any longer...summer will be here before we know it!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

powerheads arrived...will be a week or so before the shop has room. 3 CC's getting brand new 300's. there were 10 new ones sitting at the shop when I ordered my powerheads! lots of $$$$$ on the ground LOL.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It's about time to get that thing in the water!!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:35 PM
Registered

LA, After all my research and discussions I have come to the conclusion that two things contributed to my 300XS failure. 1. Too much idle on the "broke" motor due to a gearcase issue on the other one which caused me to idle back to my dock (approx. 1 hour). This is the consensus with Mercury corporate and my master mercury tech who I have a lot of respect. Mercury break-in procedure warns against ANY idling until broken-in. 2. Nass cowls WITHOUT the DBR upgrade. Joe at DBR claims that the ECU just cannot compensate for the ram-air created at hyper 100MPH speeds. He says Mercury has them tuned to the lean limit to pass CARB emissions. Just a word of warning if your are stressing your motors at high speed. I found this condition to be true on a multi-port injected 351 in my Donzi that I highly modified. Got a tuning program (Tweecer) and a base tune which put it back in the sweet spot, eliminating the very lean condition. Then was able to fine tune the map for air/fuel, spark, etc. The ECU just could not compensate for the increased air flow. My two cents. David
Old 01-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Taboma
LA, After all my research and discussions I have come to the conclusion that two things contributed to my 300XS failure. 1. Too much idle on the "broke" motor due to a gearcase issue on the other one which caused me to idle back to my dock (approx. 1 hour). This is the consensus with Mercury corporate and my master mercury tech who I have a lot of respect. Mercury break-in procedure warns against ANY idling until broken-in. 2. Nass cowls WITHOUT the DBR upgrade. Joe at DBR claims that the ECU just cannot compensate for the ram-air created at hyper 100MPH speeds. He says Mercury has them tuned to the lean limit to pass CARB emissions. Just a word of warning if your are stressing your motors at high speed. I found this condition to be true on a multi-port injected 351 in my Donzi that I highly modified. Got a tuning program (Tweecer) and a base tune which put it back in the sweet spot, eliminating the very lean condition. Then was able to fine tune the map for air/fuel, spark, etc. The ECU just could not compensate for the increased air flow. My two cents. David
Hey David Interesting comments but I would have to say I do not agree with some of what they are saying only based on my experience with my motors over the course of 4yrs.
1) I live in a area where in the winter months there are long idle zones for Manatee's we never see! I have idled my boat for over hour at time with no issues. I have had friends with these motors on a offshore fishing b boat and they idle for 4-5hrs at time. Again no issues.
2) I kinda agree with DBR and I dont. Would you agree that if you are located at a high elevation where the air is thinner the motor would run richer? I believe based on the ECU's of today there is enough compensation to make up for the cowlings. If you look at Jim's (Zero's) Skater he has been running those cowlings for over a year with no issues and no DBR upgrades ( or so he says LOL). The boat he rigged spent the summer in Canada with the cowlings also. No issues. However air flow at a 100 could be sort of a ram air effect but keep in mind the cowling is not totally sealed and it will relieve some of the pressure through the drain holes. With Jim's help in a few weeks we will know for sure if the DBR upgrades hurts, helps or does nothing when I bring my boxes to the keys and we do a test. Craig, once the powerheads are broke in make a run, shut it down and do a plug check. Another option is install pyrometers like I did and you will see if the motor goes lean at anytime. I feel they are a necessity.
3) Lastly I blew a powerhead also with Stock set up no mods when they were new also. Not to mention there is another blown up 300xs powerhead at TNT recently off Gary Balough's 32 Skater. These things blow up plain and simple. These are really production motors built on a assembly line not at Mercury Racing like motors of old.
4) Lastly I agree with the breakin is important, good oil, quality fuel, and I run ACES in my motors along with Boostane now also just for kicks. Some of the big cat guys down here have reported good results with it on the 1350's.
Good Stuff guys,
Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Registered

Cool! Your perspective is always welcome! I am just trying to share and learn. Cheers, David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.