new to me 308 >

new to me 308

Notices

new to me 308

Old 02-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Flightplan
Do the stock X cowlings have the same problem with water ingestion?( 20'mids)
No not that I have seen thus far
Old 02-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

After talking to David I was informed that the pic of reeds was of the port so it was just about to let loose too! Also informed that the port powerheads was not original...had been replaced!!!!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
After talking to David I was informed that the pic of reeds was of the port so it was just about to let loose too! Also informed that the port powerheads was not original...had been replaced!!!!
This is your chance to get it all right again. Take your time and dot the i's and cross the t's. The tanks should be fine for ethanol as it is post '06 construction. If they are not then we are all f*#£ed! I would definitely re plumb with ethanol resistant fuel lines and make sure you have a good fuel filter/ water seperator onboard.
The oil tanks under the cowls should warn you of low oil and put you in guardian. My tanks in the boat have level indicators that show up on my vessel view. I never had them before but consider them a must hav now
Old 02-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Registered

Craig, If you go by the book Mercury does not want external fuel/water seperators outside the motor. The mechanical fuel pumps are not very strong. The fuel filter on the pump assembly has a water sensor in the bottom. I the filter unscrews. If you cut one apart you can see what is going on with the tanks. I also heard from Pete that anything post 06 was ok but am not 100 percent convinced based on other boats with fiberglass tanks having issues.
If you are suspect in having no oil to the pump make sure they prime it. With the mercury laptop they can make it run and bleed out any air in it. Are you using the same injectors or did the powerhead come with new ones?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes skate I am with you on getting everything right. David suggested adding fuel strainers, along with water strainers along with replacing fuel lines. Ron I will be using my fuel injectors The new power heads did not come with them. They all checked out good.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what DR is saying is that if you are going to use an external filter/ separator you might have to add the old style low pressure pumps and a catch tank (with return to main tank)to feed the on board (XS) high pressure pumps. The XS fuel pump may not be strong enough to pull fuel through these add ons.

What makes you think you need additional filtration/separation?

Last edited by Flightplan; 03-01-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diamonds Fuel system 101. Thanks Da*****rcury.

http://www.diamondmarine.com/web_pag...l%20System.htm

Last edited by Flightplan; 03-01-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:01 PM
Registered

If you use an external filter you can run an external boost pump. However you have to regulate the pressure to NO more the 4psi. Otherwise this will cause issues with the mechanical pump. In the days of the Mobil One Race boat we ran Mallory Comp race pumps with a Holley regulator.
The Opti does not require a catch tank or return line back to the tank like a 2.5 280hp like David has.
One thing I would also recommend that I did on my motors is that there is a plastic fitting in the mechanical fuel pump. If you use 3/8" fuel line and clamp it with a hose clamp you can crush it restricting the flow.
I sourced a 1/8" pipe to 3/8" brass fitting and replaced them. This way you could tighten it tight and not worry about crushing the plastic fitting.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

not sold on the fuel strainers if that much more is needed. the water came from the cowl issues not the fuel tanks anyway.

I did a lot of cleaning on it before I ever put it in the water...signs of salt water, sand, etc through out the boat. not the way I treat my equipment but everyone is different so I was not TOOOOOO shocked at what has been found under the engine cowls but as with any used boat there has been some surprises some of which I would have divulged if I was selling the boat had I known about them...but I can tell you it will all be done right and not hastily thrown together! I'm looking forward to A LOT of trouble free boating with this one, just like my sunsation...turn the key and go!!!

Last edited by LAriverratt; 03-02-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

clarification on my 308 fuel system...it has a low pressure supply pump already so adding a fuel strainer is not a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.