Notices

Kevlarkat's new paint

Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32
I have purchased a 2004- 250HP 30 inch with one bad hole to rebuild . I have it apart and any engine builder that walks upright will tell you "every engine has a story to tell " That said you must determine why it came apart in order to reduce chance of the same occurrence. that said it has been determined that when this engine was bored they slightly undersized the finish bore size which in turn stuck a piston . According to the previous owner the engine had 40-50 hours on it before it happened . It is so important to any outboard that engine is @ determined operating temp before WOT .
Back to rebuild , the difference between a 250 efi and 300x is induction , port timing , ecu , squish and exhaust chest has no obstructions.
I have 300 x intake and ecu , heads cut to 62 cc and came up with a simple way to machine the exhaust chest to 300 x specs . Hunting now for blown up ( no windows ) 2002+ 225-250 efi any length . George fuller will be boring block and I will buy parts thru Diamond marine and assemble myself . These engines are not rocket science however all has to be correct or things go bad in a hurry
Now you're talking. How is the paint coming? She's gonna be bad ass Larry. Keep on keeping on.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

After being burned myself Larry I learned how to build them myself also. If the wind is blowing in the right direction and the stars are aligned it only takes me 3.5 hours to build a 2.5. If threads pull out add another hour to the build.

The Talon Guy
Old 07-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, that's great ! I' have a very good friend that's owns a machine shop and was a top fuel funny car crew chief @ one time in my corner . Bob who do you have boring your blocks or do you do it yourself ? I'm looking into a rottler boring bar so I can do it all in house .
I finally have a guy i picked out of 10 or so interviewed to clear and buff the Skater , my painter is swamped right now . Well see how this goes and i may in future take on a few powerheads per year

I would hope That Shaun Torrente STR would maybe offer pistons for both engines , well see .

Larry

Last edited by KEVLARKAT32; 07-02-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32
Bob, that's great ! I' have a very good friend that's owns a machine shop and was a top fuel funny car crew chief @ one time in my corner . Bob who do you have boring your blocks or do you do it yourself ? I'm looking into a rottler boring bar so I can do it all in house .
I finally have a guy i picked out of 10 or so interviewed to clear and buff the Skater , my painter is swamped right now . Well see how this goes and i may in future take on a few powerheads per year

I would hope That Shaun Torrente STR would maybe offer pistons for both engines , well see .

Larry
Check with Tom Booth who owns Riverside Marine in Little Rock Ark for boring. Factory authorized and works with DBR. I've known him for 25 yrs. great guy and facility.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Registered

Thanks Skate !! George fuller @ Fuller marine has 30 exp as well machine shop and Merc certified . He will bore finish hone and my friend Tony Figga who builds race car engines as well as top fuel crew chief will come to my shop and assemble bottom end . After what I have paid the so called pros to do and it came apart in 10 min this is a childs play .
Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 532 Likes on 329 Posts

Larry, would you be able to build me two of those awesome motors after you build yours?

No warranty needed, just a handshake and receipts of who did what and parts that were put into the motor.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Registered

Noli ,

Nothing personal , No just building a few for myself . I need one more 2002+ 225-250 efi blown up if anyone knows of any .( no windows )
Old 07-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Registered

no worries Larry.

perhaps if you give enough details on your engines builds, we can follow your lead on these builds and possibly duplicate for our own engine build?

$35K for a pair of new 300XS engines is a bit much for me right now.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Registered

came across this pic when Larry was first working on his 32.

Awesome boat !