Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
28 OB vs 32 OB vs 32 IO >

28 OB vs 32 OB vs 32 IO

Notices

28 OB vs 32 OB vs 32 IO

Old 06-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

DR, Any idea how a trip 32 would run compared to a 28? Obviously it will take bigger water since it's longer and heavier but how about accel and top end? When you say the 30 isn't as fun to drive as the 28 do you mean it's not as flighty or because of the higher freeboard just feels more secure? How does it compare to the 32? What are honest expectations for speed? I hadn't really been looking at them as much as the other two because it seemed the 28/32 could be had for a much better deal and the 30 still didn't have the windshield. My thinking was that if I got back to that price point I'd probably go to another 32 Spectre and have the speed and windshield. As for the 30 motion or even spectre I figured they would ride about the same as the 28 skater but be about 10mph slower on the top so hadn't really thought much about them.
The 28' would be more nimble and have better accelleration than the 30. My boat is not at all flighty. Any boat with bad CG could be flighty. The 32 with triples would be a fast boat that would accellerate well. I would love to have one but would want the 32b. There was a guy on here that posted a video of his 32' with 300x's running 124mph or so. I agree that a windshield is a must. That is why I put one on my boat. A 30' Skater with twin opti's is a 100mph boat on a good day unless you have 300x's. I think a 28 is hard to beat for size/towing/cleaning/bang for the buck and fun factor. Outboards do have some gearcase issues but if you are not lazy on the throttles they hold up just fine. Not to mention the maint and cleaning of the engine compartment boating in saltwater.
Just my 2cents.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I won't ever own an I/O. We have blown 565 dart, mooneyham blown bb on every other run we have done since 2010 in friends 36 Skater. Normally smoke a piston due to heat soak chasing plyburn 10+ miles. Made it to Gilberts in 2011 boom getting back on plane, 2010 made it 10 miles after gilberts boom and this was not flogging it 120 mph max. Finally made it in 2013 without me in the boat.lol Steve ran to Gilberts and stayed overnite then to KW the next day. The cheapest boom has been 6k. Motors are in La. at Mark Boos with 10k in fuel injection and three stage water pumps hopefully already dyno tuned then back to TNT unless they have already been shipped. The 6s' on the 36 have been super reliable setup by Matt at TNT. My diamond marine promaxes have had zero maintenance, not even a plug change going on third season. I have one 260 powerhead and think I will pickup another for the need for speed. Only drawback with 260s is they like fuel. I have Brucato ACUs that I have had reflashed for the 225s and 260s and they sip fuel if you stay under 4k or 60 mph on the 225s. I would rather run 100 everyday than 180 then boom. Steve usually runs 10 miles then stops. I'm just getting settled in a 10 miles. I guess it depends on how much you want to use your boat and how deep your pockets are. I am no Baller $$$$ but my pal is. I have considered 3 trip 90s' model 32' Skaters as they seem to be plentiful ,but wouldn't run trips. The 32 with twin 300x out west or the one in Canada look great! An older 30 Skater with 300xs would be a nice package. I look forward to hearing what you buy. Best of luck!

BB
Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why the B my unnderstanding is it is a bit wider which is nice but thought they were more suited for inboard applications.

As far as gearcase issues, I ran the boat pretty hard and only had an issue after the drives were rebuilt as a procation by someone that didn't know what they were doing (realised that to late) Had them redone properly and were great. My opinion is as long as you pay attention to whats going on with the throttles you won't have problems.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:20 AM
Registered

MLB if you are interested in a DW I think I could locate 2, possibly 4 that you could cut the lid off of.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bulletbob
MLB if you are interested in a DW I think I could locate 2, possibly 4 that you could cut the lid off of.
In a few years the 32 DW will be my next boat. With 300xs's they will run 110+ and a great rough water boat. To me it is the perfect boat.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

32B with 525's will go 120 MPH with Bravo's. In my case reliability has been perfect.
Steve
Old 06-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

the DW poker run edition was here for the tickfaw 200... never got my skater up close or side by side to it... looked pretty small compared to my 30 even though its 32... but will runs in the teens with 300xs's LOL. I have heard it hit 116mph now?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
the DW poker run edition was here for the tickfaw 200... never got my skater up close or side by side to it... looked pretty small compared to my 30 even though its 32... but will runs in the teens with 300xs's LOL. I have heard it hit 116mph now?
I have heard the same thing from Skater Jim when he saw the boat at LOTO. He wanted to run with him but never got the chance. There is no doubt they are fast and light. In my opinion if Peter would would rework the 28' and widen the tunnel, extend the bottom to a 32' it would be every bit as fast a 32' DW. Would love to have one. Maybe if we all order one he would build it!!! LOL Who's in.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Maritime_Eng
In a few years the 32 DW will be my next boat. With 300xs's they will run 110+ and a great rough water boat. To me it is the perfect boat.
I never ran your 30DW Don ,but, did run the 32DW sister and she was impressive to say the least. We were going to drop my powerheads on your 30DW and play with it as it just sat there in Sparkys yard for long time. Let me know when your ready to sell Don. I would have bought your 30 Motion, but , she was gone in a flash.

Last edited by bulletbob; 06-10-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
I have heard the same thing from Skater Jim when he saw the boat at LOTO. He wanted to run with him but never got the chance. There is no doubt they are fast and light. In my opinion if Peter would would rework the 28' and widen the tunnel, extend the bottom to a 32' it would be every bit as fast a 32' DW. Would love to have one. Maybe if we all order one he would build it!!! LOL Who's in.
Your spot on DR. I have hated watching Ryan get beat all those years buy the DWs' with all the effort and passion he has put into racing. Glad he is in a DW now. Personally I don't like the pleasure version. Order one Sam! lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.