The 300 xperiment >

The 300 xperiment

Notices

The 300 xperiment

Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 553 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Andy, The motors were came from fresh water use. Corrosion was not bad. They had approximately 230hrs on them. They still had good compression. The reed cages had lost a lot of the rubber where the reeds hit. Also the edges on the reeds were burnt. Personally I would have reused the crankshaft but Guy found a little wear he was not happy with so we went ahead and replaced it. He knows that I want these motors as close to new and perfect as we can get them not trying to save any money. I have also had all the injectors tested and cleaned. All came back good. Another funny thing was we found the rubber velocity stack down inside the throttle body.

any updates?

Old 08-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are some pics from today. Got one short block back from TNT and have started reassembly of starboard motor. Painted and polished thermostat housings. Waiting for new thermostats and gaskets. Painted starter brackets/starter. Installed new alt bracket/bushings. Install all new bleed lines stbd side on polished fittings and secured with tywraps. Install computer/oil tank. Lastly also got injectors back from being tested/cleaned and calibrated. Installed in fuel rail/reed plate. Still waiting on some gaskets to complete instalation of the intake. More parts to clean, bolts/fittings to polish and paint work!!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527307 [ATTACH=CONFIG]527308 [ATTACH=CONFIG]527309 [ATTACH=CONFIG]527310 [ATTACH=CONFIG]527311 [ATTACH=CONFIG]527312 [ATTACH=CONFIG]527306
Attached Thumbnails The 300 xperiment-img_0893.jpg   The 300 xperiment-img_0895.jpg   The 300 xperiment-img_0896.jpg  

The 300 xperiment-img_0897.jpg   The 300 xperiment-img_0898.jpg   The 300 xperiment-img_0899.jpg  

The 300 xperiment-img_0900.jpg  
Old 08-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy, The motors were came from fresh water use. Corrosion was not bad. They had approximately 230hrs on them. They still had good compression. The reed cages had lost a lot of the rubber where the reeds hit. Also the edges on the reeds were burnt. Personally I would have reused the crankshaft but Guy found a little wear he was not happy with so we went ahead and replaced it. He knows that I want these motors as close to new and perfect as we can get them not trying to save any money. I have also had all the injectors tested and cleaned. All came back good. Another funny thing was we found the rubber velocity stack down inside the throttle body.
I;m going to check that one out tomorrow. One of my engines has one other doesn't. Wondered were it went!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock reeds and cages? Am getting my injectors flowed also, seems like cheap insurance.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Registered

Yes. When I took the motors apart I found some of the reeds burnt on the ends. The other thing to look for is that he rubber around the outer part of the cage starts to get eaten away. This does not allow the reed to seal and motor starts to run a little rough at idle. There are some options out there but the Mercury ones are carbor fiber also and with the rubber seals we thought they would work best. Some of the guys are machining the Mercury cages and removing the rubber coating and installing aftermarket reeds to save some money. The Mercury ones are expensive. If you need any let me know. From both motors I have enough for a good used set to sell.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 553 Likes on 336 Posts

Yes. When I took the motors apart I found some of the reeds burnt on the ends. The other thing to look for is that he rubber around the outer part of the cage starts to get eaten away. This does not allow the reed to seal and motor starts to run a little rough at idle. There are some options out there but the Mercury ones are carbor fiber also and with the rubber seals we thought they would work best. Some of the guys are machining the Mercury cages and removing the rubber coating and installing aftermarket reeds to save some money. The Mercury ones are expensive. If you need any let me know. From both motors I have enough for a good used set to sell.
DR,

lots of good info!

if it isn't too much work, I'd luv to see the burnt ends...please take pics of old parts vs. new parts

just tryin' to learn t'is all
Old 08-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Very good work. Lots of attention to detail, that is necessary for longevity. Good thread.
Is that workshop / storage facility Air Conditioned? It sure is hot outside8-)
Old 08-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm somewhat new to outboard wrenching so...is it a quick and fairly easy swap form 300xs to 300x power head??? or do you have to do mids etc???
Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
I'm somewhat new to outboard wrenching so...is it a quick and fairly easy swap form 300xs to 300x power head??? or do you have to do mids etc???
Craig, It is easier to go from a 300x to a 300xs. The tuner for the xs is different than the x along with the mid section. Both blocks have the same bolt pattern. All the power of the x is in the porting and exhaust. If you wanted to switch you would need a x mid section. DBR sells a tuner that is designed for the 300xs and will fit the x mid or 15" Wayne Taylor like Rayzor did. DBR is going to have a level 2 kit for the Optimax at some point. Not sure exactly what that will be exactly yet but a throttle body and tuner are for sure. If your xs motors have the offshore clamp brackets they will accept the 300x mid with no mods.
You can also run a xs cowling on a x engine also. I will be using my Nass cowlings. The big question is do we gain 10mph like everyone says! I will know the answer to that pretty soon.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Craig, It is easier to go from a 300x to a 300xs. The tuner for the xs is different than the x along with the mid section. Both blocks have the same bolt pattern. All the power of the x is in the porting and exhaust. If you wanted to switch you would need a x mid section. DBR sells a tuner that is designed for the 300xs and will fit the x mid or 15" Wayne Taylor like Rayzor did. DBR is going to have a level 2 kit for the Optimax at some point. Not sure exactly what that will be exactly yet but a throttle body and tuner are for sure. If your xs motors have the offshore clamp brackets they will accept the 300x mid with no mods.
You can also run a xs cowling on a x engine also. I will be using my Nass cowlings. The big question is do we gain 10mph like everyone says! I will know the answer to that pretty soon.

thanks Ron

we will be wanting to know what the outcome is for sure

Last edited by LAriverratt; 08-05-2014 at 05:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.