Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Boat Custom's 308 Skater OB Flat Deck Conversion. >

Boat Custom's 308 Skater OB Flat Deck Conversion.

Notices

Boat Custom's 308 Skater OB Flat Deck Conversion.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
Sam and i talked at lotto about this project and i hope assured him that chris was the guy for it its looking good was there a couple of weeks ago just gave chris the dimensions of my boat deck line for him to set up sams this thing is going to be a night and day diferance sitting behind the wrap around sam i cant wait for a ride will have to take it out up here when you pick it up
Jim thanks for all you help on this and my other projects. I was up Monday and Tuesday helping Chris lay everything out. Your measurments were a big help to confirm what we came up with. I'll be back up in a few weeks for several days. Your on for the maiden voyage trip!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hay sam how is your boy doing
Old 02-08-2015, 06:54 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default line of sight

Hey Sam, When you were talking about line of sight before you said you had trouble seeing over the bow of the boat when under way. I noticed on my build that before they put the deck on they cut the sides of the boat. They actually not only cut the sides they had built up but they also cut down into the bow below where the original mold is. Is that what you plan on doing. It appeared to me that they didn't cut that part down on the classic model but I could be wrong. Looked to be about 6 to 8 inches on mine. Im not tall and hope I don't have that problem. Ha. Steve.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hay Steve you should have no problem seeing I'm about 5.10 and I just put a 1. Inch spacer under my seats you will be able to do the same to adjust for height and still be under the windshield
Old 02-08-2015, 07:14 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jim, I watched a few of your videos. Liked them a lot. Your rig has the same deck lines as mine right. Im 5'8". Seemed like I shouldn't have a problem. Just curious how many horses you have and what speeds you see. Sorry not trying any Hijack here. Steve.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nastybug
Hey Sam, When you were talking about line of sight before you said you had trouble seeing over the bow of the boat when under way. I noticed on my build that before they put the deck on they cut the sides of the boat. They actually not only cut the sides they had built up but they also cut down into the bow below where the original mold is. Is that what you plan on doing. It appeared to me that they didn't cut that part down on the classic model but I could be wrong. Looked to be about 6 to 8 inches on mine. Im not tall and hope I don't have that problem. Ha. Steve.
Steve. You will be fine with your build. The sponsons are cut down and it will not be an issue. The seating visit is key. Be sure you have your actual seat and steering wheel so that it can be placed to fit you same with throttles on the console. Mike and the guys do a great job at this but you have to be there in person to win!. The dash on the 308/338 flat deck is very low. If you have to place an insert to raise your seat it will put you knees into the wheel. This cost me the sell of my 308 this spring as my buyer was only 5'6". I had to put 4" of insert under the seat bythe time I got him high enough to see over the deck his knees where half way into the steering wheel and legs over the sides of the bolster. He also could not see out of the back seat of the 308 classic deck.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
Hay sam how is your boy doing
Jim thanks for asking. Will is good I just got back from visiting him this weekend. He made 2 Bs last semester and is taking 12 hours this semester. His therapy is going good and the left arm shows slow continued improvement. Other than that he is the typical college sophomore going to fraternity parties and living the dream.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So glad to here Sam about Will
Old 02-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Registered

Default Cockpit alterations

My goals are to go from a 3 person rear bolster to a 4 person and gain standing room between front and rear bolsters. In my 308 you were not able to stand upright between the front and rear bolsters without leaning towards the stern over the rear seat. This made it very difficult to get Will into the boat and access to the side panels was difficult while passengers were seated.

Additionally the CG will be moved forward by moving driver, throttle man, and dash forward. This is offset slightly by moving the rear seating backwards toward the stern slightly.

First the cockpit has to be widened to accommodate 2 plus 4 bolsters. We are limited by the width of the windshield and desire to have a walking surface around the out side of the windshield.

Next we split the rear seat can and widen it by adding 14.75" panels to middle to accommodate the fourth seat. The side flanges of the rear seat had to be reduced by 1.5 " on each side to allow the widened rear seat can to fit inside the cockpit which will be 83" wide.

The side panels require 1" each and the new seat can maximum width is 81". The side pannel rails will be move out 3" on each side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536813[/ATTACH]
The front flange to the floor of the rear bolster was shortened 2" and the liner was accordingly cut to drop the rear bolster down 2". This was done to have rear bolster sit against the bulkhead instead of over it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536814[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]536816[/ATTACH]
1 1/2" was them removed from rear bolster seat back flange to move rear bolster backward toward the stern 1.5"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536815[/ATTACH]

We removed the factory liner kick board and install new floor liner insert to the forward bulkhead under the dash. An adjustable kick board will be placed later.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536817[/ATTACH]

The original front bolsters were 2" too far from kick board to allow your feet to brace against it. We removed the kick board and installed a new adjustable one on bulkhead. We gained 5" moving kick board forward and another 2" moving front bolster forward. 1.5" was also gained by moving rear bolster can backwards. The Total distance gained between front and rear seats is 8.5". It doesn't sound like much but it makes a significant difference when standing up in the rear cock pit.

Cardboard mock up of the transom step/seat that will be added to aid in entry and exit of boat. The original deck to the transom was convex and made entry and exit between the motors difficult and dangerous.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536818[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Boat Custom's 308 Skater OB Flat Deck Conversion.-image.jpg   Boat Custom's 308 Skater OB Flat Deck Conversion.-image.jpg   Boat Custom's 308 Skater OB Flat Deck Conversion.-image.jpg  

Boat Custom's 308 Skater OB Flat Deck Conversion.-image.jpg   Boat Custom's 308 Skater OB Flat Deck Conversion.-image.jpg   Boat Custom's 308 Skater OB Flat Deck Conversion.-image.jpg  

Last edited by skate; 02-09-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Question, Why do you need a step in the middle if you have a 3rd motor?
LOL
Just saying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.