Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Mercury 400R for Cat applications >

Mercury 400R for Cat applications

Notices

Mercury 400R for Cat applications

Old 02-21-2015, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Where are the mystical engines that were produced for the XCats??

No Way were they 670lbs and if they built 2, Merc already has the required CAD Programming for all the CNC for production runs.....does Merc Racing have a sugestion box??
Old 02-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=speicher lane;4268517]Where are the mystical engines that were produced for the XCats??

No Way were they 670lbs and if they built 2, Merc already has the required CAD Programming for all the CNC for production runs.....does Merc Racing have a sugestion box??[/QUOTE
X Cat is the only hope for us to get a light weight 4 stroke motor. Those guys can pay for RD.
The 15" mids were one off. They were not something they could sell. Powerhead was the verado.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
They might if we get rid of the Obama administration.......

And....WE WILL!!! Just hope that "We" are not stupid enough to get "Her Thighness" elected. Just say'in.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

[/QUOTE]X Cat is the only hope for us to get a light weight 4 stroke motor. Those guys can pay for RD.
The 15" mids were one off. They were not something they could sell. Powerhead was the verado.[/QUOTE]

I think we are on the same page - my point is that the R&D has already been completed (or at least the majority of the headscratching) if Merc would come to the table and deliver to the cat market what they have for the big CC market
Old 02-21-2015, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

It wouldn't be unreasonable to swap a merc pcm for an aftermarket unit. At least in my mind lol.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolSpot
I don't really think it is a question of horsepower/weight that makes the 400 unviable. I think it is handling. In flat, calm, pedictable water it is probably not a big issue as the boat takes a set and the power propels it forward. But in most boating conditions with waves, wakes, etc. as soon as the boat begins to pitch and yaw and gets tossed about all that extra weight gets thrown around - in all sorts of different directions - creating a real handling issue. You can't stay in the throttles if your boat is out of control.
I agree, us outboard guys had better hang on to our 2 stroke stuff and buy up plenty of spares until we are ready to switch over to inboard big block power
Old 02-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by da*****rcury
I agree, us outboard guys had better hang on to our 2 stroke stuff and buy up plenty of spares until we are ready to switch over to inboard big block power
Say it ain't so!

I want to see four of those bad boys on the back of your 36!
Old 02-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
Say it ain't so!

I want to see four of those bad boys on the back of your 36!
For now, I think that I choose to live vicariously through you, NastyBug and the next man up... Unless of course Mercury decides to take me up on my generous offer to use my 36 as a test platform for Quad 400R's
Old 02-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by da*****rcury
For now, I think that I choose to live vicariously through you, NastyBug and the next man up... Unless of course Mercury decides to take me up on my generous offer to use my 36 as a test platform for Quad 400R's
How much weight in sand bags did we put in the back of your 36 At LOTO to keep the Stern planted???? I think if anyone has a chance of showcasing the new 400Rs it's Mr Quadarchy.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

You have an awesome setup Superdave. I think with props and playing with rotation, hopefully not too much weight, she will perform fine. Setup is the fun part. I would think some rough water would help the hull take set also. Quad 400s', if Merc would offer......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.