Mercury 400R for Cat applications >

Mercury 400R for Cat applications

Notices

Mercury 400R for Cat applications

Old 02-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ryan (and David),

I know you're a tried and true OB (and Skater) guy so it doesn't surprise me that you would take offense to my comments. I'm a fan of OB's, I/O's, and cats. My apologizes to both you, David, and anyone else that viewed my comments as derogatory, they truly weren't meant to be. My point was simply David's had, and will continue to have, an uphill battle getting 4 OB's (especially 2.5's) on a 36 to be truly reliable and to keep up with a nice I/O package (say blown BBC's and 6's), which is all so proven on the 36, 368, and 388 series.

Again, I more than appreciate all the work, time, and money David has in his Skater, it's a beautiful boat and will no doubt run a respectable number when complete.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS930
Ryan (and David),

I know you're a tried and true OB (and Skater) guy so it doesn't surprise me that you would take offense to my comments. I'm a fan of OB's, I/O's, and cats. My apologizes to both you, David, and anyone else that viewed my comments as derogatory, they truly weren't meant to be. My point was simply David's had, and will continue to have, an uphill battle getting 4 OB's (especially 2.5's) on a 36 to be truly reliable and to keep up with a nice I/O package (say blown BBC's and 6's), which is all so proven on the 36, 368, and 388 series.

Again, I more than appreciate all the work, time, and money David has in his Skater, it's a beautiful boat and will no doubt run a respectable number when complete.
Well its a good thing you cleared that up right quick SS cause I was on my way to the Bygosh office to have a little chat with ya.

BTW, how big a ole boy are ya? HaHa!

Differing opinions are not going to bother David or anyone else on this forum I hope.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
David,
There is an old saying. If you are not the lead dog the scenery NEVER changes!!! You have lead dog there that is unique. Stay the course! No one has a boat like yours.
Thanks, I appreciate all the Skater brothers support and encouragement. The winter is getting long and cant wait for spring. Ill be removing all four engines soon
Old 02-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David,
What are the current plans for the boat? What did you guys do with the bottom?
Old 02-25-2015, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ryan (and David),

No worries SS. Its fun to kick ideas around. I like throwing things out there to get feedback which inspires me
Old 02-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 796 Likes on 223 Posts

Team AMSOIL Offshore Racing / Skater 368 w/ twin 525 Mercury Racing inboards (1,050hp total) currently holds the POPRA World Kilo Record, clocking in at 131.981 MPH. Just throwing this out there guys.........

I also love all fast boats - outboard, inboard/outboard, v-drive, etc., and think the open discussion is great! I personally found nothing offensive or derogatory about SS's posts, just very factual. I think all of us on here think David has a beautiful, unique, good performing boat. But the facts are that it doesn't perform anything like an inboard (and David obviously knows that) - and that's ok! From what the little I've heard and know about David, he could own anything he wanted (within reason of course), but he's chosen to build up this unique, one-of-a-kind outboard 36 because of his passion for outboards. I give him huge kudos for taking on the challenge of four 2.5s - as I don't even have the patience for two of those little bastards! Lol. I wish him the best of luck in getting it dialed in to his satisfaction, and I enjoy reading about his journey in getting to that point.

I've always said it would be awfully boring if we all had the same setups, and that's what I love so much about performance boats vs. cars or bikes - boats are all different sizes, shapes, engine and drive combinations.

As for the original question about re-rigging to inboards, I agree with others David that you'd probably be better off selling it and buying an inboard. If you wanted another former race boat project, the 36 I used to race with Rod Karnofel is for sale less motors for well under $90k. It is the former Fountain/Mercury Super Cat that kicked everybody's ass so bad back in '99/'00 that the APBA kept making them add weight until everybody else became competitive. As we raced it in the late 2000s, the boat ran in the mid 140s w/ a pair of big ci naturally aspirated pumps gas motors.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

David,
What are the current plans for the boat? What did you guys do with the bottom?
We will be removing the existing tunnel pods and replacing with much smaller ones
Old 02-26-2015, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Skater30
Team AMSOIL Offshore Racing / Skater 368 w/ twin 525 Mercury Racing inboards (1,050hp total) currently holds the POPRA World Kilo Record, clocking in at 131.981 MPH. Just throwing this out there guys.........

I also love all fast boats - outboard, inboard/outboard, v-drive, etc., and think the open discussion is great! I personally found nothing offensive or derogatory about SS's posts, just very factual. I think all of us on here think David has a beautiful, unique, good performing boat. But the facts are that it doesn't perform anything like an inboard (and David obviously knows that) - and that's ok! From what the little I've heard and know about David, he could own anything he wanted (within reason of course), but he's chosen to build up this unique, one-of-a-kind outboard 36 because of his passion for outboards. I give him huge kudos for taking on the challenge of four 2.5s - as I don't even have the patience for two of those little bastards! Lol. I wish him the best of luck in getting it dialed in to his satisfaction, and I enjoy reading about his journey in getting to that point.

I've always said it would be awfully boring if we all had the same setups, and that's what I love so much about performance boats vs. cars or bikes - boats are all different sizes, shapes, engine and drive combinations.

As for the original question about re-rigging to inboards, I agree with others David that you'd probably be better off selling it and buying an inboard. If you wanted another former race boat project, the 36 I used to race with Rod Karnofel is for sale less motors for well under $90k. It is the former Fountain/Mercury Super Cat that kicked everybody's ass so bad back in '99/'00 that the APBA kept making them add weight until everybody else became competitive. As we raced it in the late 2000s, the boat ran in the mid 140s w/ a pair of big ci naturally aspirated pumps gas motors.
Apples to apples what speed would the average 36 classic I/O run with naturally aspirated similar hp to my outboards?
From Skaters website in the past concerning the classic 36 I/O, I believe it said 110 mph. From my discussions with owners of 36 skaters for sale, backs that estimate up.
As you know there is a big difference in frontal profile and tunnel width between a classic 36 and a 368 skater. Also having world champion Bob Teague and Paul Whittier and team dialing in and fine tuning the set up for the record speed run is a huge advantage in itself. Hats off to them.

I am quite happy seeing how far I can go with this one of a kind project. I knew it was going to be experimental from the get go. besides the many of you on OSO I have consulted with Peter, JT, Gary Ballough, Paul Whittier. It has been very helpful, but the fact remains that this is the only 36 skater in the world with 4 outboards!!!!

Dale, I appreciate your comments and advice. That goes for all of you fellow skater owners and OSO members that have offered encouragement on my thread throughout the duration of this project. (You know who you are)

Since it is a hobby I dont have the time to work on it as much as I would like. I have some issues that I am currently working on with the tunnel pods that just might correct a problem that ive been having at speeds over 115. Im excited about getting this resolved so that I can start the normal dialing in process of adjusting engine height, prop selection to achieve top speed. My best so far was 118 with about 500 lbs of ballast in the back. Just being able to run without that extra weight should boost top end. I am looking forward to this prospect, and ill keep you posted.

The bottom line is: My goal is still 125. I love my Skater with outboards, Cheer me on !!!

Last edited by davidmercury; 02-26-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 794 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by da*****rcury
The bottom line is: My goal is still 125. I love my Skater with outboards, Cheer me on !!!
Hell Ya!!!

Last edited by speicher lane; 02-26-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You go dog!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.