Weight versus Speed Outboard Cat >

Weight versus Speed Outboard Cat

Notices

Weight versus Speed Outboard Cat

Old 03-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Skater30
If I could tow my 28 behind a 737 I would come to Tenkiller, but I don't think Southwest would do that for me! Being a small business owner, I can't get the time away that it would take to drive there, spend 3-4 days and drive back. That's why I live on the water, I can enjoy my boat every weekend without having to tow it anywhere!
Dale, I feel your pain. It is also hard for me to leave my lake. I like the place so much and it easy to just go to my dock, uncover my boat and have a great time... except when it is too cold!!! You have me there with your mild winters. It still would be cool for all us Skater guys to get together.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dale, where did you weigh yours? Would like to weigh mine also. Logistically tough to weigh, launch and leave boat, then weigh the trailer.
I've talked to Pete on 28 weights and he told me they all weigh about the same and he never did light weight lay up boats. At least not pleasure or race pleasure hulls. Yours seems to be pretty light. Factory spec sheet says hull is 2100 pounds. Don't know if that's bare or with interior.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Hey Guys, After watching Dales blistering run and working the numbers I wanted to find out how he ran so fast. So I decided to take my boat to the scales and see what it weighs water ready with no fuel. We weighed it today at Supreme Marine on A Frames with 4 independent t scales on the corners. As suspected my boat was 400lbs heavier than his and that was with 465lb each x motors in place of the 505lbs for the 300xs.
Next I used the Bam speed calculator with the data I have and found that it equates for 5mph loss and if you factor in the heat/humidity down here everything falls into place. Also I did not take into consideration our differences in body weight!
Dale and I wanted to know if anyone else has weighed there 28's. If you are serious about your set up you have to. I suspect his boat based on the history of what we know it was built light by design for the orginal owner. I realize that I have some additional weight in batteries, sub woofer inclosure, night vision etc. I believe that is about 125lbs or so. Peter may have saved about 300lbs or so.
Who knows.
If you have not weighed your boat you should do it!
Look forward to any other information you guys may have!
I have mine almost completely stripped to bare hull. I'll try to get a weight prior to paint.

Dales 15" mids should be a weight savings over the published weight of a 300xs.

Did you include your windsheild in to your accessory weights?

Did dale have props on the boat when weighed?

THE WRAP????? wth?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You all kill me LOL! All kidding aside if you are serious about going as fast as you can this is a big deal. I do not care what the builder says a boat weighs only what it weighs the way I take it to the water!
I spoke to Pete years ago and he indicated they would build a lighter boat and the guys from the Mobil one team back in the day also indicated that a few lighter boats were built with a purpose to save weight.
FP, I weighed the new wrap today before it was installed and deducted for the backing paper also!
My windshield does not weight more than 10-15lbs including paint.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Flightplan
I have mine almost completely stripped to bare hull. I'll try to get a weight prior to paint.

Dales 15" mids should be a weight savings over the published weight of a 300xs.

Did you include your windsheild in to your accessory weights?

Did dale have props on the boat when weighed?

THE WRAP????? wth?
My motors didn't drop much weight at all - they weighed 495 #s each after the conversion to 15". There are other 15" mids/transom assemblies/trim pumps you can use that do reduce the weight some, but the route I went didn't save me any weight. Most of the 10 #s I did lose was all in the aluminum DBR flywheel! As for my the day I weighed my 28, I just saw in my notes that the props were NOT on it when I weighed it - I thought they were. Bottom line is still that my 28 weighs in right at 3,800 #s ready for the water with no fuel or oil. I really don't think it's much lighter than an identically rigged 28 of another year, but who knows? If everyone on these boards were able to weigh theirs and we had a list of 28s and what they weighed, maybe we'd know better. But since Ron and I are the only ones that know what ours weigh so far, it's really hard to tell for certain.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 PM
Registered

Where did you do the weighing? Close to Disco Bay?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Onetime
Where did you do the weighing? Close to Disco Bay?
Mid Valley Agricultural Services - 5931 Balfour Road, Brentwood. About 10 miles from Discovery Bay launch ramp.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Registered

Hey Guys, After watching Dales blistering run and working the numbers I wanted to find out how he ran so fast. So I decided to take my boat to the scales and see what it weighs water ready with no fuel. We weighed it today at Supreme Marine on A Frames with 4 independent t scales on the corners. As suspected my boat was 400lbs heavier than his and that was with 465lb each x motors in place of the 505lbs for the 300xs.
Next I used the Bam speed calculator with the data I have and found that it equates for 5mph loss and if you factor in the heat/humidity down here everything falls into place. Also I did not take into consideration our differences in body weight!
Dale and I wanted to know if anyone else has weighed there 28's. If you are serious about your set up you have to. I suspect his boat based on the history of what we know it was built light by design for the orginal owner. I realize that I have some additional weight in batteries, sub woofer inclosure, night vision etc. I believe that is about 125lbs or so. Peter may have saved about 300lbs or so.
Who knows.
If you have not weighed your boat you should do it!
Look forward to any other information you guys may have!
I'd guess that Dale has more talent, sorry...
Old 03-29-2015, 01:08 AM
Registered

Jim, / Skaterjim has done more than anyone, I know of on dialing in on 28Skaters, the fastest 28Skater I know of, whats the new top end...128?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You all kill me LOL! All kidding aside if you are serious about going as fast as you can this is a big deal. I do not care what the builder says a boat weighs only what it weighs the way I take it to the water!
I spoke to Pete years ago and he indicated they would build a lighter boat and the guys from the Mobil one team back in the day also indicated that a few lighter boats were built with a purpose to save weight.
FP, I weighed the new wrap today before it was installed and deducted for the backing paper also!
My windshield does not weight more than 10-15lbs including paint.

You don't have the weight and your probably 50% + less area as well. Not to mention the critical change in CG!

As you've said, you lost no speed with the windshield installed so that says it all.