Weight versus Speed Outboard Cat >

Weight versus Speed Outboard Cat

Notices

Weight versus Speed Outboard Cat

Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Weight versus Speed Outboard Cat

Hey Guys, After watching Dales blistering run and working the numbers I wanted to find out how he ran so fast. So I decided to take my boat to the scales and see what it weighs water ready with no fuel. We weighed it today at Supreme Marine on A Frames with 4 independent t scales on the corners. As suspected my boat was 400lbs heavier than his and that was with 465lb each x motors in place of the 505lbs for the 300xs.
Next I used the Bam speed calculator with the data I have and found that it equates for 5mph loss and if you factor in the heat/humidity down here everything falls into place. Also I did not take into consideration our differences in body weight!
Dale and I wanted to know if anyone else has weighed there 28's. If you are serious about your set up you have to. I suspect his boat based on the history of what we know it was built light by design for the orginal owner. I realize that I have some additional weight in batteries, sub woofer inclosure, night vision etc. I believe that is about 125lbs or so. Peter may have saved about 300lbs or so.
Who knows.
If you have not weighed your boat you should do it!
Look forward to any other information you guys may have!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:50 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what was the end result on your total weight or did I miss something.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what did your boat weigh? Was it 400 lb heavier than Dale's?

125 lb sounds a little light for all the additional equipment you've added (based on your previous posts on your mods), is it possible you've added more than you thought? I ask because I've been surprised in the past how much everything adds up to when I've stripped higher end stereo equipment from cars and boats. All those speakers, enclosures, thick cables, batteries, etc add up fast!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't you have hydraulic jack plates as well? If so, those add some pork too.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:07 PM
Registered

Boat with no fuel weighed 4380 water ready with props, tool box and everything I normally carry.
Based on Dales info I believe his boat weighed 3850 or so no fuel.
Regarding the rest of the items he and I compared notes and I know what is installed and the 125 in extras is accurate.
I would suspect based on the numbers other 28's have run and what I have additional in my boat that Tabome or Zero would weigh in around 4100 or so?
Old 03-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hummmmm. That's why I weigh everything, drill holes in the anchors, put helium in the fenders, no stereo. And no one in the back seat if I can help it.��I will get mine weighed Ron. I still think if the weight is in the right place it will not matter to much. As in forward of the CG.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Boat with no fuel weighed 4380 water ready with props, tool box and everything I normally carry.
Based on Dales info I believe his boat weighed 3850 or so no fuel.
Regarding the rest of the items he and I compared notes and I know what is installed and the 125 in extras is accurate.
I would suspect based on the numbers other 28's have run and what I have additional in my boat that Tabome or Zero would weigh in around 4100 or so?
How fast does your boat run now and how much speed do you think the windshield if any scrubs off. Steve.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastybug
How fast does your boat run now and how much speed do you think the windshield if any scrubs off. Steve.
I will weight my 28 soon. I hope Ron gets my 7610 Garmin soon!! Ha Ha, Ron. NB, I gained 4 MPH when added my windshield, but also got "new" Dewald CNC props of the same dimensions, so who knows if the windshield helped or hurt, but my money is on the windshield added speed, and better handling . DK
Old 03-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Registered

Dave, Jim it will be good to weigh the boat.
Steve, speed is a huge variable. It is really hard to compare to numbers and what effects our little windshields have compared to a full wrap around.
Speed, Weight and HP are all directly related no matter where you position it LOL.
Dave my money is on the Dewalds!!!!!
Should have the GPS's by the end of the month. If not we need to hire Dale and go offshore in CA and pick them up on the ships trying to bring cargo!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:26 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Taboma
I will weight my 28 soon. I hope Ron gets my 7610 Garmin soon!! Ha Ha, Ron. NB, I gained 4 MPH when added my windshield, but also got "new" Dewald CNC props of the same dimensions, so who knows if the windshield helped or hurt, but my money is on the windshield added speed, and better handling . DK
Hey Tab, What props were you running at what speed before you got the dewalds. Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.