Wanted: 28 Skater >

Wanted: 28 Skater

Notices

Wanted: 28 Skater

Old 04-18-2016, 07:47 AM
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the information Sea2jet. I will be sure to tell anyone who calls on the boat. I talked to the owner of the boat this morning. He has had it for five years and ran it on a lake a few miles from our shop the whole time. He has had no structural issues. He has also crawled all through under and inside the boat several times and has seen nothing of concern. He is a meticulous guy. The previous owner of the boat who also had it in Canada for several years mentioned no issues or incident to us.

But I will advise anyone who buys it of this information and to get a survey. They will likely need it for insurance or financing anyway.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
So Ron,

160lbs in the bow, jack plates adjusted, moving seat up 3'.....all this is good to help balance the boat right?

I have no interest in a blow over at 70mph.

My 40 flies flat because it is set perfectly. We've been in some pretty nasty stuff and it just doesn't get flighty or nose high.

I have these in my home gym and thought about carrying 50s, 40s, and 30s, in the boat to adjust for passengers, fuel, and water.

https://www.hyperwear.com/shop/sandb...sandbells.html

I'll leave the 160lbs up front at all times but move around the sand bells based on the above factors.

Crazy?
I wouldn't worry about this!! If your set up is right and you keep Neutral Trim, you will be fine.
In 13yrs, I logged 425hrs on my 28Skater with 2.5s, modified 2.5s and 300XS. Of course my 28Skater was built for the 300promax, as Mercury had the boat built to showcase and set the endurance records in her with the 300promax.
I found that turning IN on the 300XS was more stable and comfortable than with the lighter 2.5s.
My boat was Fast....122 with the modified 2.5s and 116 with the 300XS. My normal boating was at a cruise of 90mph and a few shots of WOT if the water and traffic permitted.(The Only time I ran slow was in No Wake
I found the Only time I had Close calls was running by myslef and doing WOT runs and playing with the trim.......
I did however land on the side (water pressure bent out the rub rail, Amidship area) But that was when I first had the 300XS installed and was turning OUT and running fast, Racing a Larger Cat through very rough water coming at all directions.....
In summary the 28Skater is a Very well mannered boat....As Long As You Know What You Are Doing......definitely Not a Boat for a Novice Boater! Boat is Definitely a Drivers Boat!!

Last edited by offshoresteve; 04-18-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I have seen the one at double r, it's a nice boat. I was going to buy it before the one I ended up getting (which became the blue one for sale). Only reason I didn't end up with it was the seller decided he wanted to keep it.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
So Ron,

160lbs in the bow, jack plates adjusted, moving seat up 3'.....all this is good to help balance the boat right?

I have no interest in a blow over at 70mph.

My 40 flies flat because it is set perfectly. We've been in some pretty nasty stuff and it just doesn't get flighty or nose high.

I have these in my home gym and thought about carrying 50s, 40s, and 30s, in the boat to adjust for passengers, fuel, and water.

https://www.hyperwear.com/shop/sandb...sandbells.html

I'll leave the 160lbs up front at all times but move around the sand bells based on the above factors.

Crazy?
Brett
Yes all those things will help the CG. My old 28 was an animal in the rough water and in all our running down here the boat never launched with the bow up in the air. It would take some extreme conditions to blow one over at 70mph. Now at 100mph that is a different story. You can launch any boat including Vee bottoms with excessive trim and hitting waves from the backside.
Play with your ballast and take it slow. Moving it forward and adding weight as you go. My suggestion would be to start with it as far forward as you can get it. Also you are running lower rake props and spinning out. This also helps the cause in keeping the nose down.
Some will say the boats are slower with the weight in the nose but the Mobil One set the kilo record with the batteries and such in the same place for flat water and rough water.
Like Johnny told you these boats do not need much trim. Neutral to tucked in at high speeds.
However it is always good to hear about bad things that can happen as a reminder that what we all do is dangerous at times. Take necessary safety precautions and do not let outside influences push you or the boat beyond it limits and you will be fine.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

My 308 hits now same speed as before but handles rough water much better with batteries trim and Jack plate pumps forward of kickboard bulkhead. My 28 landed on its side several times at LOTO but never once did the bow come up as described. It had no ballast and 300Xs. I could give most V bottoms hell by way up to 3'ers..
Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A sliding weight system is a neat idea. I wonder if Skater has a measurement to locate the designed CG for the 28 hull when they created it? Along the same lines as aircraft using a datum line.

Last edited by sea2jet; 04-20-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 545 Likes on 330 Posts

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/42338

photo credit: [ad listing]