Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Why the 28 Skater ? >

Why the 28 Skater ?

Notices

Why the 28 Skater ?

Old 01-30-2016, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

As a past owner I will also say if you get the set up right and CG the boat will amaze you how well it runs in big water. The boat is very predicable. Like they all say it very versatile in all water conditions. I have ridden in many boats. It is one best all around boats I have been in and fun factor is off the charts.
Maybe if Pete see's all the interest of lately he will put the molds back inside and consider building a new one. I bet he would sell with rigged or just as a hull and deck.
Still think about mine every time a read about them!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550267[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Why the 28 Skater ?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Double Rigged; 01-30-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Now where is Mr. Razor and Mr. Jim and Dr. BAM when we need them ..... ?
Old 01-30-2016, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Still think about mine every time a read about them!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550267[/ATTACH]
Your 28' was probably one of the top 3 (if not top 2) 28's out there... and each mod just made it better. The new owner has a stunning Skater!
Old 01-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me it's stress free boating with outboards. It's big enough to handle big water if you need to. can haul 5 or 6 people at 90+mph.

I'm buying one to use as my pontoon at LOTO.....something I can just drop the lift, turn the key and go places without getting out the big boat.

I'm also interested in living a little. We might drag it to Havasu last minute (something that take 6 months of planning and $7000 roundtrip with the big boat), plan on leaving it in Miami next winter, plan on having it as a backup boat in KW, plan on living.

Like Tyson and I always say.....it just allows you to go boating and thats what I want to do. I love the big Skater but those boats are always one run away from being broken. I've accepted that reality and plan for it. Sometimes I don't want to plan....I just want to go. That's what the 28 does. It just goes.

So why not buy a Cig, Donzi, Fountain, or CC for these purposes?.....If you have to ask then you are not my friend ....

I don't think the answer to these problems is to build more 28s....because a new one is stupid money. Older ones are a reasonable investment because they have all about maxed out their depreciation. For boating dollar relativity, I can afford a lot of break down, repairs, and upgrades on the 28 as compared to the 40.

The prefect boat would be the 318 with 400s......Will do what a 40 and 28 combo can do all by itself.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:56 AM
Registered

Great post BAM
Old 01-30-2016, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree totally. That is why I think outboard cats may make a come back. The value of the 28 has gone up over the last few years as well as the popularity. I think as more guys see posts like Bam and they go back to driving one it can only get better.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
I agree totally. That is why I think outboard cats may make a come back. The value of the 28 has gone up over the last few years as well as the popularity. I think as more guys see posts like Bam and they go back to driving one it can only get better.
I thought about a CC for a long time. Looked at all of them. Just too much money for what I want. In my budget you don't get much.

My mission isn't to haul 15 people. We go boating.....with other people with boats. I don't really like hopping in other peoples boats because I want to be in mine...running along side of other people.

I don't mind a crowd of 30 as long as there are 5-10 boats involved. A bunch of people on 1 boat just isn't my style.

Jim Lee showed me what these boats are capable of. I'm beyond excited.

Last edited by Orthobam; 01-30-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Registered

Congrats Dr. BAM. You sure had a flurry of activity the last 24 hours - LOL !!!!!!!!!!

MDS
Old 01-30-2016, 09:23 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
For me it's stress free boating with outboards. It's big enough to handle big water if you need to. can haul 5 or 6 people at 90+mph.

I'm buying one to use as my pontoon at LOTO.....something I can just drop the lift, turn the key and go places without getting out the big boat.

I'm also interested in living a little. We might drag it to Havasu last minute (something that take 6 months of planning and $7000 roundtrip with the big boat), plan on leaving it in Miami next winter, plan on having it as a backup boat in KW, plan on living.

Like Tyson and I always say.....it just allows you to go boating and thats what I want to do. I love the big Skater but those boats are always one run away from being broken. I've accepted that reality and plan for it. Sometimes I don't want to plan....I just want to go. That's what the 28 does. It just goes.

So why not buy a Cig, Donzi, Fountain, or CC for these purposes?.....If you have to ask then you are not my friend ....

I don't think the answer to these problems is to build more 28s....because a new one is stupid money. Older ones are a reasonable investment because they have all about maxed out their depreciation. For boating dollar relativity, I can afford a lot of break down, repairs, and upgrades on the 28 as compared to the 40.

The prefect boat would be the 318 with 400s......Will do what a 40 and 28 combo can do all by itself.
Yea, Ha.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a big power, #6 Cigarette, it's a great boat. A real blast in 3-4s up and down the coast of Florida. Cruises 3500 rpm @ 63 mph. Love it and have owned it 16 years. My 28 will cruise At 95-100, under warranty, all day, at 3.5 mpg. The only thing I break is left hand gear cases. It is so much fun to run. It makes the keys small. Marathon to Islamorada in 16-17 minutes, for lunch. The Sanabel, Boca Grand, Sarasota areas are great in the 28. We travel in it. They are great boats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.