Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in. >

318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in.

Notices

318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastybug
The Dewalds Have not gotten on my boat yet. The weather has been terrible here and the Marina I took delivery thru is very backed up. I have also been going back and forth to help out with my parents as they are needing that now. Im trying but its been tuff.
I'll probably be breaking my 28 in next week .... I could exercise those props for you ..... Just sayin. ;-)
Old 05-31-2016, 04:26 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I finally ran the Dewalds Earlier today. Just went out for a quick spin to see how they felt. I currently have full tanks in the boat of at least 200 gallons thats a lot of weight with me and my girlfriend. The props are 15 dia 33 pitch and 20 rake. Like I said wasn't looking for crazy top end numbers. Did run her wide open and she reached 106mph on the limiters. I spoke to Dave Dewald and he suggested dropping the motors bit which I thought about also cause slip is a bit high. We talked about making a set of 34 pitch props everything else remaining the same. This he felt would get me where I and the motors need to be. Probably would be smarter to drop the motors but I really want to find a second set of props that will run where my current props run if not better. When I have to change my props I don't want to get involved with yanking the boat and readjusting the engine heights if I don't have to. He is gonna make me a set of 34s and we will see how they run. The current ones I have ran in line with my Merc props all thru the midrange. Very nice no vibration and a bit quieter on the low end. I figured why wait to run with a lighter load if Im already on the limiters and he felt the 34s would accomplish the same thing. Again I don't have a tow vehicle to drag my rig out of the water with and I don't want to have to wait on the marina to do it for me as that could take more time than I want to wait. Who knows how the 33s would run with a bit more setback but Im not doing that to find out till next season. have my fingers crossed for these 34s. What do you think.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve,
I am no expert but if you are on the limiters and are only going up 1" in pitch that is only about 200rpm drop.
With a light load that will not be enough. My questions are:
1) Aren't the Merc cleavers 6 blade?
2). I believe they are also a bit bigger diameter?

Adding more set back will change the X dimension also. If you are sending these back you should let Bill know and have him try them. Since he has the notch and see what the difference is. It would provide valuable information in finding out what these boats need. The more we all test the better the result for everyone. Hell I wouldn't mind trying something wild with some big pitch props either. Ya never know what can happen.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:57 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Steve,
I am no expert but if you are on the limiters and are only going up 1" in pitch that is only about 200rpm drop.
With a light load that will not be enough. My questions are:
1) Aren't the Merc cleavers 6 blade?
2). I believe they are also a bit bigger diameter?

Adding more set back will change the X dimension also. If you are sending these back you should let Bill know and have him try them. Since he has the notch and see what the difference is. It would provide valuable information in finding out what these boats need. The more we all test the better the result for everyone. Hell I wouldn't mind trying something wild with some big pitch props either. Ya never know what can happen.
Hey Ron, The Mercs are 5 Blades and they are 15 dia. Same as the Dewalds. The rake is 20 degrees in the Dewalds. I think if I drop the motors a bit they will be fine. My Merc props ran the same top end when they were at 1and 3/4 above the bottom as 2. They left them at 2 inches because they felt acceleration was better. Dave swore that If I dropped them a bit the slip would improve and I would be where the Mercs Basically are. I think slip was about 12 or 14 now. Im gonna try them at 34 pitch and see what happens. Ill probably keep them as they should be close to the Mercs. A good back up for now. Probably put some set back in the motors this winter for next year and ill get a new set if I have to. Our friends boat ran well with less pitch but he has a lot more setback then I have. I feel that may be the cause of my excessive trim problem and having the bow ride higher than I would like. Im gonna try the motors a 1 and 3/4 next time it goes into the marina. Who knows I maybe on the limiters with the 34s. Won't know till I try them. I also talked to Bill today. I think Im gonna send these right to him instead of back to Dewald first to cut out the middleman. He wants them anyway they come to him. He's talking to Dave to see if thats OK.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:36 PM
VIP Member

Spoke with Dave Dewald today. We decided I would send my current props to Billy as he needs a set for his new Classic deck 400R conversion set up. New props Dave is making for me will actually have a 15.25 diameter instead of 15. They can always be taken down to 15 inches If they don't work out well. Because of my engine height he felt that being I don't want to drop the motors if I have to switch the props any time the additional diameter wouldn't hurt. So they will be 34 pitch 15.25 dia and 20 degree rake. Like I said before I may drop the motors a bit any way but I want to see how they run first.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve
That makes more sense to me. What you guys were saying before was not going to work for you.
Looking forward to Bill's progress also.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:50 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Nastybug, Were you down by LBI this past weekend ?? If it was, The boat looked awesome going by my house !!!! Also those 400's sound great..
Old 06-21-2016, 05:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 2 TOXIC
Nastybug, Were you down by LBI this past weekend ?? If it was, The boat looked awesome going by my house !!!! Also those 400's sound great..
Hey Toxic. I think I was. Go down there on rides quite often as I spent my Summers as a kid in LBI at Harvey Cedars. Ran down under the bridge by Hochstraser Marina. I still have friends down there that live on the bay. Thanx for the kind words about the boat. Im enjoying the hell out of her. Where do you live and do you ever make it up by me in Toms River. I live on the water off Silver Bay. Its about 3 miles above the Bridge going into Seaside heights,
Old 06-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I am directly across from flat island, about 1/4 mile south of the sand bar, where everybody hangs. House is being framed at the moment, my wife and I were on the roof, when I heard you coming, just could not get the phone out quick enough to get a good vid.. Again, great job with the boat.. Don't think I will splash mine this year with the construction going on.. If your cruising by, look for the house in plywood & my dock will have a pontoon boat/tiki barge on the lift. Stop by for a beer, would love to get a closer look, and see what I am getting next LOL...
Old 06-22-2016, 06:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 2 TOXIC
I am directly across from flat island, about 1/4 mile south of the sand bar, where everybody hangs. House is being framed at the moment, my wife and I were on the roof, when I heard you coming, just could not get the phone out quick enough to get a good vid.. Again, great job with the boat.. Don't think I will splash mine this year with the construction going on.. If your cruising by, look for the house in plywood & my dock will have a pontoon boat/tiki barge on the lift. Stop by for a beer, would love to get a closer look, and see what I am getting next LOL...
Hey Toxic. What town are you in. Im not familiar with Flat Island sorry. Only sandbar Im familiar with is the one that used to be up at Barnegat light. Are you north or South of the bridge. When I figure out where you are ill swing by next time Im down that way. Steve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.