Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in. >

318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in.

Notices

318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the boat , but just prop it to run 105 to 108 fully loaded with fuel and peep's and be done . The way I saw the other boat in the video running look's dangerous for the average boater , one boat wake come's by with the bow so high we will be reading about you and not the good way . if you want the boat to run 120 then build it to do so properly without the risk of a accident ." I/O's or 7 marine

Be safe and forget about that one time top # the next guy will always be faster

mike
Old 10-09-2016, 08:51 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ktron
Post the video so we can see how it accelerates.
Hey Darren Im gonna try and do some fly bye vids tomorrow and Ill also try and do some cockpit shots. Supposed to be 20 mph winds here so Im not sure what Ill be able to get accomplished.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:01 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mikebrls
I love the boat , but just prop it to run 105 to 108 fully loaded with fuel and peep's and be done . The way I saw the other boat in the video running look's dangerous for the average boater , one boat wake come's by with the bow so high we will be reading about you and not the good way . if you want the boat to run 120 then build it to do so properly without the risk of a accident ." I/O's or 7 marine

Be safe and forget about that one time top # the next guy will always be faster

mike
Hey there Mike. I agree with your theory. I do have a motor issue I need to correct and I cant do it with them running on the limiters so Im going to try and run it for its all out top speed right now as it gives me a good reading on whether the motors are running correctly. After that partially because of a long talk I had with Ron/Doublerigged when we met in Florida a little while ago Ill probably put a set of 32 or 31s on it so I can run to about 110 anytime with any load and the acceleration will be very good. In order to get to the extreme high end you need to really hang it out on the edge and I mean EDGE. Your advice is well taken and I would recommend it to anyone else who is on the hunt for that top end/everyday dial in number. Steve.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve,
Regarding the motor issues I would recommend them doing a compression test on both and compare. It would be a good place to start.
The other would be to make sure the motor is getting good fuel flow. I can tell you the pick ups that Skater installs with the 90 degree fittings are junk. I have had issues when i got this boat with trash getting caught in 90 and causing the motor to starve for fuel. It had nothing to do with the tanks coming apart but when they glass the lid on the tank and drippings of the resin/epoxy break loose as you beat up the boat a bit in rougher water.
I over sized and changed mine to straights with flowing 90 fittings and also installed some OBERG filters that you can take apart to see what is going on and monitor things.
Just a thought.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:58 AM
Registered

I'm running 300xs'- and the port motor is always a few rpm ahead of the starboard. Its faster, but also more fuel efficient which is weird. Isnt this common, port motor being faster?
Originally Posted by Nastybug
Thanx for the kind words guys. We're all in this together. Ha. So I ran my Dewalds the other day. They are 34pitch 15.25 dia and 20 degree rake. I ran 111mph at 6441 rpm. They are on their way back to him for some adjusting. I think 33 pitch by 15.25 dia would be perfect. He's gonna start by taking some cup out which he left a lot of in this time around. Also bit of Dia. we will see what happens. Im sure they'll have to go back one more time before were done. My last run out with my Merc props was 114mph at 7049rpm. Im sure I was one tick off of 115mph. I have a problem with my starboard motor as it runs 300rpms behind my port. Its been that way all season. The heights have been rechecked several times and the Dewald props yielded the same info. My girlfriend videos the vessel view so I could stop it to see where they were at certain speeds. If I got that motor to pull its own weight equal to the port motor Im sure Id be up around 117 or 118mph. That last run the port was on limiters with nothing more to give and the starboard was lagging behind. I think the Dewalds will put me at 115mph very conservatively and that 300rpms would yield another 2mph conservatively. Being that new 318 that just ran did 121?mph I think with my boat with two healthy motors could get close to 120mph with the set up as is. Understanding I ve been running in 70 degree weather with mild humidity which is perfect speed testing weather. Take the above for what they're worth. I did up to 114mph the one day with 2 people on board and about 110 gallons of gas so I think my projection of 118mph plus is totally attainable with two healthy motors. Im working on getting that fixed soon. Hopefully its not a major headache but you never know.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 28skater
I'm running 300xs'- and the port motor is always a few rpm ahead of the starboard. Its faster, but also more fuel efficient which is weird. Isnt this common, port motor being faster?
if this is correct then it could take a extra few HP to turn the prop one way vs the other ?
Old 10-11-2016, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 28skater
Originally Posted by mikebrls
if this is correct then it could take a extra few HP to turn the prop one way vs the other ?
I've been running twin outboards for about 15 years on different boats and have seen the motor with the counter rotating lower consistently turning 200+/_ rpms slower.

I've always believed the difference to be the way the lower handles the thrust. (front tapered cone bearing R.H.) (flat needle thrust bearing L.H.)
The counter rotating also runs hotter and will "burn" the oil faster.

My $.02
Old 10-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 796 Likes on 223 Posts

Interesting........if you click on the link and watch the video of my tachs, you'll see that my 300XSs run almost identical rpm at WOT. But not everyone will take the time to do what it takes to make this happen either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWSPBLFvPFE
Old 10-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nice Pair
I've been running twin outboards for about 15 years on different boats and have seen the motor with the counter rotating lower consistently turning 200+/_ rpms slower.

I've always believed the difference to be the way the lower handles the thrust. (front tapered cone bearing R.H.) (flat needle thrust bearing L.H.)
The counter rotating also runs hotter and will "burn" the oil faster.

My $.02
This is my 1st year running twin outboard and my port motor has run a little slower. Also burns more fuel and oil. I thought I had a issue with that motor? Thanks for the post.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skater30
Interesting........if you click on the link and watch the video of my tachs, you'll see that my 300XSs run almost identical rpm at WOT. But not everyone will take the time to do what it takes to make this happen either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWSPBLFvPFE
Nice video .... It is pretty obvious that your passenger blew out of the boat ... making the left side ride a little higher ... letting the slow motor rev up. ;-)

Now ... back to the regular programming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.