Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
OB Skater CG Discussions >

OB Skater CG Discussions

Notices

OB Skater CG Discussions

Old 04-20-2016, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Much more set up and run time experience with the 280s, so for the 400Rs to be even right out of the box says something at least.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

They will have 3.2 lowers
Old 04-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by skate
Could you elaborate please??!!

And aren't the 2.5 lowers time bombs...
I believe this is referring to the adapter plate Scott Porta is making to put a 300 on the 2.5 mids.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Bill is using Hydraulic Jack Plates from I believe CNC?
Shawn T and the guys are selling the set backs being used on the exacts as well. I think they are being made in FL. I can find out.
I agree that in the scope of things it is better to get the CG right or as close as possible without adding weight. However a light boat in rough water versus a heavier boat with same set up in rough water the heavier boat will ride better and regarding 28's with smaller props be faster IMO. That is why we used a ballast tank on Mobil one boat. By using a ballast tank it allows you lighten the nose or make it heavier if needed. Once the boat is rigged you cannot change anything. I have also seen a few boats with a rail system to slide the weight back and forth to fine tune it based on conditions of race day.

Regarding 28's other than the Kilo runs the Mobil One team never ran without ballast. Those guys won more races than anyone were always out front. Just ask Gary Ballough LOL.
I have been in a few 388's with ballast tanks also.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave TNT Bobs 4" Hydraulic brackets. They look real strong i will let you know. I am going to play with filling in my notch in small amounts at a time. It will be a lot of work but i will let you know what happens. The notch on a 30 is way to big 5" deep and 22" in length. I think a 28 skater is 2.5" deep and 16" length. If you run a 30' hard in ruff water you cant keep the bow down. I have owend 3 differant 28' and they are balanced very well.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a dumb question but how do you know you're optimally balanced besides having JT drive it? Living in MN, that could be a problem. LOL.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JT wont be the one to do all the testing I will. You need to test and test again. You have to get a baseline in the calm water and in the ruff water with a good set of props. Then start with level trim and a conservative drive height and then your knowledge and seat time will take over. You will run the boat in all directions and all conditions. Keep a notebook with good notes, I know it sound dumb but i find it really works. CG is a very hard to get right because you can mask it with props,and over or under trim. Years ago when we raced we would hang the boats with one strap and it would balance around the second step ? Today with 400r I have know idea where the CG should be.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Equalizer
JT wont be the one to do all the testing I will. You need to test and test again. You have to get a baseline in the calm water and in the ruff water with a good set of props. Then start with level trim and a conservative drive height and then your knowledge and seat time will take over. You will run the boat in all directions and all conditions. Keep a notebook with good notes, I know it sound dumb but i find it really works. CG is a very hard to get right because you can mask it with props,and over or under trim. Years ago when we raced we would hang the boats with one strap and it would balance around the second step ? Today with 400r I have know idea where the CG should be.

balancing with one strap is the only way I ever pictured get a true CG. I talked to tres matin about the balance of my sunsation and he said when he rigged he weighed everything down to the smallest nut and piece of wire to keep the boat balanced latterly...even the weight of the driver and throttle man matter.

Last edited by LAriverratt; 04-21-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it's safe to say by Talon 22 with twin's was NOT balanced correctly - LOL.

MDS
Old 04-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Registered

Balance point when static is one thing. Then you start getting these rigs running, the aero begins moving things around and everything becomes variable. Cats especially with how they start packing air. How do you decide where the center balance point is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.