Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Mercury 5 blade cleavers for 400Rs >

Mercury 5 blade cleavers for 400Rs

Notices

Mercury 5 blade cleavers for 400Rs

Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I know everyone is talking about the acceleration of these motors but I have to say when the boats I have been in as well around them with the 33p props IMO it is not very good compared to what i am used to.
I am looking forward to seeing Bill's boat down here and doing some more comparisons side by side.
Also it seems it takes long time to get big numbers also. I was out with Tim from MTI in the 340x the other day. He also mentioned boat is very weight sensitive and needs a lot of room to strech it out. We had 4 people and low fuel. Speed/Acceleration in line with the 308's that were tested down here as well.

I do not disagree with the numbers being posted but damn we must have some very sticky water down here or something. Have yet to see any boat run same numbers down here as everywhere else. My 28 was 6mph faster off the trailer with small props when it got to its home in Canada with rough water set up.

Again just some input as we all learn more about these motors. And just when you think you have it figured out something new may come along! Rumors of 510 to 620 hp coming.

Daren's boat is definitely the bench mark but to compete with those numbers weight has to be under 5000lbs. The new Skaters are heavier with the last one weighing 5400lbs.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
I know everyone is talking about the acceleration of these motors but I have to say when the boats I have been in as well around them with the 33p props IMO it is not very good compared to what i am used to.
I am looking forward to seeing Bill's boat down here and doing some more comparisons side by side.
Also it seems it takes long time to get big numbers also. I was out with Tim from MTI in the 340x the other day. He also mentioned boat is very weight sensitive and needs a lot of room to strech it out. We had 4 people and low fuel. Speed/Acceleration in line with the 308's that were tested down here as well.

I do not disagree with the numbers being posted but damn we must have some very sticky water down here or something. Have yet to see any boat run same numbers down here as everywhere else. My 28 was 6mph faster off the trailer with small props when it got to its home in Canada with rough water set up.

Again just some input as we all learn more about these motors. And just when you think you have it figured out something new may come along! Rumors of 510 to 620 hp coming.

Daren's boat is definitely the bench mark but to compete with those numbers weight has to be under 5000lbs. The new Skaters are heavier with the last one weighing 5400lbs.
1 mph difference in speed from florida to New England with my boat. cool temps, etc. no big difference. Runs the same numbers all the time. The 400's are the $hit!!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Now there's a good reason to wait!!!!
If its true, they must have listened

Last edited by davidmercury; 10-21-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ktron
1 mph difference in speed from florida to New England with my boat. cool temps, etc. no big difference. Runs the same numbers all the time. The 400's are the $hit!!
I hear ya buddy, Again not disputing what anyone has said. Only what I have seen first hand. It's tough. Been looking at switching as well. Thus far from what I have seen first hand with our conditions numbers not close.
Just trying to figure out what to expect when and if I do the conversion. Maybe because boats are not dialed in yet but they spent a lot of time on the MTI.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
I hear ya buddy, Again not disputing what anyone has said. Only what I have seen first hand. It's tough. Been looking at switching as well. Thus far from what I have seen first hand with our conditions numbers not close.
Just trying to figure out what to expect when and if I do the conversion. Maybe because boats are not dialed in yet but they spent a lot of time on the MTI.
It is an MTI after all. Slow trash! Lol
Old 10-22-2016, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 532 Likes on 329 Posts

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a004000/a004050/aquarius_flat_2048x1024.mp4 The salinity levels, thus water density are different in Florida as it is in the northern region...could affect performance?

Last edited by noli; 10-22-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been studying the effects of humidity, temperature, barometric pressure and altitude on internal combustion engines since the late ''80's starting in my racing days in cars and motorcycles. We used to use crude methods such as sling psychrometers to measure relative humidity, a simple barometer and thermometer, then enter the data in a Texas Instrument programmable calculator to determine the current altitude density to properly jet the carbs on a given day, based on a matrix chart for carbs. Almost always for a normally aspirated engine, altitude was the greatest contributing factor. I've attached a site below that I found that you can enter site parameters and get altitude density numbers and then get corrected performance data. Much easier than what we used to do! Check it out. Just enter some hypothetical numbers, changing one parameter at a time and see the results. I think it takes some of the mystery out of the location and weather issues.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...ect+ET+and+MPH
Old 10-27-2016, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noli

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a004000/a004050/aquarius_flat_2048x1024.mp4 The salinity levels, thus water density are different in Florida as it is in the northern region...could affect performance?

HA! .... our water is faster than yours. ;-)
Old 10-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skater30
Thanks Daren, I hope so! I'm glad you're about dialed in so I know better where to start with mine. It seems like the Merc 5 blades are working better than the Dewalds for everyone with the 400Rs. I'm not certain what is so different from our pleasure cats and the X-Cats, because most those guys seem to be running Dewalds and Herings. I already have Dave building me a set of 5 blades, but I also plan to get my hands on a set of Merc 5 blades to test as well. I'm actually really looking forward to starting from scratch again with my rig - half the fun of what we do is testing and seeing gains!
Nothing like a slow traffic day on the water ,couple sets of props ,lifeline ,can't wait for summer again to do so!! Boat is in the garage for the winter

Last edited by tom kennedy; 10-27-2016 at 12:13 PM.