New to us 308 with XS

Notices

New to us 308 with XS

Old 11-20-2016, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 27daytona
Nice to see that 30 being used. I hope that you outboard guys will let me run with you this spring! Looking forward to it. Beautiful Skater. Doug
No problem Doug, just put on your "Happy Face"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561854[/ATTACH]
Old 11-21-2016, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe, boating does make me smile.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Dale, thanks for getting out with me yesterday and showing me a few tricks to run this boat safely. I'm totally fine with it not getting to 100mph with these props and have no interest in spending hard earned money just to see 100+ mph in this 308. My wife and I are all about the cruise and safety for us and our passengers along with killer fuel economy. Doug, it will be fun to get out on the Bay with you and watch you run circles around us. You guys can just let me know where to meet you since you will be WAY out front. Thanks for all of the nice comments about our new baby.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Registered

We are beyond thrilled with this boat. We have put 40+ hours on it already and we are going to Sacramento for lunch this Saturday, about 160+ miles roundtrip. My wife and I saw 100.1mph with light fuel, just the 2 of us, windscreens down, 60 degree air temp, salt water, and down current I believe, but it clicked 100.1 on the boat gps and my phone gps. That was with the props still spinning in. We have since switched to spinning out and lost a lil on the top but the boat is MUCH better in big water, way more planted. We have been out in the SF Bay, Petaluma, Stockton, and all over the Delta and love it. Kicking around the idea of moving the rear seat back 12-14" and moving the batteries up front. We did a Delta Lunch Bunch run for St Patties day and obviously mid 90's isn't the fastest boat around but once the water got a little bigger we were able to get past most of the group.
Attached Thumbnails New to us 308 with XS-skater-berryessa.jpg   New to us 308 with XS-discovery-lighthouse.jpg   New to us 308 with XS-berry.jpg  

Last edited by lake p.a.l.; 05-11-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lake p.a.l.
We are beyond thrilled with this boat. We have put 40+ hours on it already and we are going to Sacramento for lunch this Saturday, about 160+ miles roundtrip. My wife and I saw 100.1mph with light fuel, just the 2 of us, windscreens down, 60 degree air temp, salt water, and down current I believe, but it clicked 100.1 on the boat gps and my phone gps. That was with the props still spinning in. We have since switched to spinning out and lost a lil on the top but the boat is MUCH better in big water, way more planted. We have been out in the SF Bay, Petaluma, Stockton, and all over the Delta and love it. Kicking around the idea of moving the rear seat back 12-14" and moving the batteries up front. We did a Delta Lunch Bunch run for St Patties day and obviously mid 90's isn't the fastest boat around but once the water got a little bigger we were able to get past most of the group.

Great numbers! My batteries are up front. I went from 35# Optimas to 70# Oddyssey Batteries. You also should run 0 or 00 AWG cable that distance and that much cable weighs 70# s also. With the weight up front I have sacrificed some top speed for better rough water attributes. You will find that your ability to cruise from mid 80's to mid 90's all day will put you ahead of 95% of the boats by the end of a long run especially if it gets a bit sloppy!

I would try some bags of sand or pool salt in the bow first before I started moving batteries. It may not take more that 70#s to settle the bow. Double Rigged has done this maybe Ron will chime in.

If your boat is like mine you can't move the rear seat back due to the rear bulkhead. You can cut a couple of inches off the back flange of the seat can and move it back. That what I did.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Lake p.a.l,
Sam is correct before you go through the expense of moving thing around my suggestions are as follows but (as they will tell you) I am good at spending other peoples money lol.
I would talk to Dale and get the light weight batteries in the back rather than add more weight to the boat since you do not have the luxury of the 400r. It will have the same effect. I have also found the boat runs much flatter spinning out which is what I have done also. In addition not sure what props you are running but I switched to 5 blade dewald 29p cleavers. This helped even more. Not sure what the rake is on what you have but if it is 20 degrees try going to 17 degrees. This will eliminate the need for additonal weight upfront. However on the days I run and it is sloppy i also run 2ea 40lb salt bags all the way up front in some custom bags I have had made so I can get them in and out!
There is a big difference with the 308 versus the 28 in big water once set up properly. The way they set them up from the factory the boat was way to light in the bow IMO.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:59 AM
Registered

Guys, thank you VERY much for the input, I really appreciate your knowledge and tips. Have a great day.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Congrats on a Beautiful 308, love the all white, of course I'm alittle bias to the that color, LOL. My 30 Spectre has 100 # bags of sand, glassed in boxes,up front in each of the sponsons tips, this was done by Jay P. when they started building 30 I/O boats. Which is to help re-center the CG more forward to counter the x-tra weight of the BBC/XR... my mechanic/rigger used to work at Spectre back in the day, so he knows my boat well. I can't really advise since I never owned a Skater, (have owned (4) cats/tunnels), I would take DR advice/approach also, and try temp bags of salt or sand up front 1st.
Again, Congrats on a sweeet rig!
Dean
Attached Thumbnails New to us 308 with XS-talon-clean-up-3-1-15.jpg   New to us 308 with XS-20150927_181634.jpg  

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 05-12-2017 at 06:28 AM.