Come See My Boat! >

Come See My Boat!

Notices

Come See My Boat!

Old 07-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Come See My Boat!

I have one of those junky trailer under my 42. It will be going by by as soon as I recoupe the nes engines.

Terry
Old 07-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes! A Rocket trailer!!!They Had To Save Some Money Somewhere
Old 07-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the big problems?

I have one that so far has been good to me. Not one problem and it is 5 years old.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I bought my 1999 Sonic Prowler in 2001. The boat spend 95% of its time on a lift prior to me owning it. The axles needed to be beefier. They were rated for the boat, but not he boat full of fuel, and gear, and etc. Granted this is a build mistake, but it was done in order to cheapen the trailer. My bunks were all cracked up after only two seasons of non-use. Both of my axles had warped spindles. The drum brakes did not work for anything. I replaced both axles and added twin axle Kodiak Disc Brakes. I had to rebuild the coupler. The trailer was designed with no forward bunk support, so everything forward of the steering wheel rested on the bow support/bow eye/winch stand. I had to add a cross member and forward cradle bunk supports. The lights were cheaper than JC Whitney, and all the wiring needed replaced.

Worst part is the trailer frame was too short. They ended the main I-beams right behind the rear axle, and let the main wood bunks extend way past the end last cross support. This did not support the boat well; and I had to replace these bunks. Since the frame was so short, and the wood was so long, the trailer FLOATED when you backed it in the water. I had to add an additional 200 lbs in dumbells to the trailer to keep it on the bottom of the ramp to retrieve the boat. When you launched the boat, the trailer would float up and the crossmembers would hit the keel, so I had to pad them.

You would be better off dragging your boat down the street on a sheet of plywood than you would having it rest on a Rocket Trailer. They are only worth their weight in recycling.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I bought my 1999 Sonic Prowler in 2001. The boat spend 95% of its time on a lift prior to me owning it. The axles needed to be beefier. They were rated for the boat, but not he boat full of fuel, and gear, and etc. Granted this is a build mistake, but it was done in order to cheapen the trailer. My bunks were all cracked up after only two seasons of non-use. Both of my axles had warped spindles. The drum brakes did not work for anything. I replaced both axles and added twin axle Kodiak Disc Brakes. I had to rebuild the coupler. The trailer was designed with no forward bunk support, so everything forward of the steering wheel rested on the bow support/bow eye/winch stand. I had to add a cross member and forward cradle bunk supports. The lights were cheaper than JC Whitney, and all the wiring needed replaced.

Worst part is the trailer frame was too short. They ended the main I-beams right behind the rear axle, and let the main wood bunks extend way past the end last cross support. This did not support the boat well; and I had to replace these bunks. Since the frame was so short, and the wood was so long, the trailer FLOATED when you backed it in the water. I had to add an additional 200 lbs in dumbells to the trailer to keep it on the bottom of the ramp to retrieve the boat. When you launched the boat, the trailer would float up and the crossmembers would hit the keel, so I had to pad them.

You would be better off dragging your boat down the street on a sheet of plywood than you would having it rest on a Rocket Trailer. They are only worth their weight in recycling.

Sounds EXACTLY like the crappy 04 ACE trailer my 288 is on.. Everytime I trailer i'm afraid one of the under-sized and under-rated 14" Carlisle's are going to blow... not to mention the alum. I-beams are cut off way short too. My bunks were cracked and in general the trailer is 4-SH!T... maybe ACE and Rockit are sister companies..

P.S. boat looks great, like the colors and dash..
Old 07-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Registered

OK, OK, so the trailer is not the best. But the boat is great!!! No problems whatsoever. We have been towing her up the east coast on the rocket trailer all Summer from Stewart, FL to Manchester, New Hampshire. We have participated in poker runs in Jax, the Chesepeake, CT/LI and now 1,000 Islands Plan to attend Emerald Coast. The feedback has been excellent!! We have had no problems with the trailer (or the boat), but sure, there are better trailers out there....Are you guys interested in the new Sonic or the trailer??? hmm....
Angela
Old 07-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Registered

I hear you Angela, some people just like to complain... By the way I have an ACE trailer under my 31SS and my partner has an ACE under his 42SS and we are very satisfied,,, never had a problem. Towed the 42 from Maryland to Florida and back again,,, no problem...
Old 07-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Registered

Hey Folks,

I've got a Rocket under my 01' 358 and it's been fine. I take it in once a year for some lovin' from a local trailer guy and it held up well.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Registered

keep it on a lift!!!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I definately don't like to complain.

If I had received any help during this ordeal, I would have something nicer to convey. Sonic wanted to help, but all they could do was pass me to Rocket; and I could never get anyone on the phone that could help me with information on what do to to fix my trailer's issues. I even walked into their booth at the Miami Boat Show, in an extremely friendly demeanor, and still no help. (I know you catch more bees with honey than you do vinegar.) I finally had to buy new axles directly from the separate axle manufacture, which I had to track down myself, and had to have them truck shipped to my home. It was a pain.

Quick Reply: Come See My Boat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.