water leak >

water leak

Notices

water leak

Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leak

I have a 98 42 sonic and cant seem to find were the water under my sink and step compartment is coming from. New sink drain hose, sink is not leaking. Getrs wet on the trailer not just in the water. There is more moister in the compartment by the step. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Terry
Old 08-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: water leak

Terry,
I hope things are well.
As with every Sonic, you have to make sure you store the boat with the nose WAY up. Any water in the engine compartment bilge area will find its way forward, even with the boat 'level' as in when parked level or towing.

Other sources:
AC condensation not routing out properly.
Cooler drain not routing and draining properly.
Refrigerator condensation not routing and draining properly.

Also, check to make sure the bow light is not leaking. There is a void under the bowlight that can hold water and this could be making its way to where you have issues.

My 26 had issues with water in the storage compartment under the V-birth. It would be in the bilge from the cooler drain, and as soon as the boat was trailered or pointed downhill even while towing, the water would work its way forward and due to the drain sticking up a bit, it would not exit as easily as it arrived.

I think the newer Sonics have most of these water drainage issues worked out, but just keep checking everything. I know we talked about the fairing leaking, and you said yours is caulked well. Even the rub rail has been a known culprit of leaking on Sonics. Do you have a full cover or just the cockpit cover?

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-01-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Registered

It's dry foward of the compartments and have a cockpit cover on it and a big tarp over it till the building is built. It I have found some water in the compoartments in the cockpit on the same spot. Drying it out real good now and am going to have the wife spray water on the boat and see if I can find a leak.

Terry
Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Terry,
I hope things are well.
As with every Sonic, you have to make sure you store the boat with the nose WAY up. Any water in the engine compartment bilge area will find its way forward, even with the boat 'level' as in when parked level or towing.

Other sources:
AC condensation not routing out properly.
Cooler drain not routing and draining properly.
Refigerator condensation not routing and draining properly.

Also, check to make sure the bow light is not leaking. There is a void under the bowlight that can hold water and this could be making its way to where you have issues.

My 26 had issues with water in the storage compartment under the V-birth. It would be in the bilge from the cooler drain, and as soon as the boat was trailered or pointed downhill even while towing, the water would work its way forward and due to the drain sticking up a bit, it would not exit as easily as it arrived.

I think the newer Sonics have most of these water drainage issues worked out, but just keep checking everything. I know we talked about the fairing leaking, and you said yours is caulked well. Even the rub rail has been a known culprit of leaking on Sonics. Do you have a full cover or just the cockpit cover?
Welcome to the Leaky Sonic Club..... My 2004 26 Sonic seems to be leaking in the "V" berth. After it rains I pull up the "V" berth pad and there is water under there. I think it is coming from behind the mirror.
Anyone else witht he same problem? Also I get water under and on top of the sink.

Frustrating.

Pete
Old 08-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Terry & 26SM, pull your bow light out, and recaulk it with a ton of silicone that still remains plyable once it dries. The void behind my mirror would fill with water due to the leaky light assembly. Mine was actually cracked and I replaced it. Also, drill a small drain hole at the base of the mirror so any condensation/water drains out onto the platform under the v-birth pad. I wrapped the foam inside my v-birth cushion in plastic to prevent it from collecting any water from anywhere.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-01-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Brian already stated, check the bow light. Also check the cleats. If they are pop up cleats they never use to install drain cups under them. The water would run right in the bottom of those. Also stated was the rub rail.

John S.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I also got water behind the mirror in my 26 Prowler, as Sydwayz stated, alot of the bow lights "funnel" water into the forward bulkhead. Silicone in the light base is the cure. Or you could replace the mirror with glass and have a tropical fish tank in your cabin Steve
Old 08-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 509 SC
Yeah, I also got water behind the mirror in my 26 Prowler, as Sydwayz stated, alot of the bow lights "funnel" water into the forward bulkhead. Silicone in the light base is the cure. Or you could replace the mirror with glass and have a tropical fish tank in your cabin Steve
It has to do with the fact that the bow light is drilled into and installed over the rumpled non-skid. Perhaps Sonic will change the mold a bit and make that area flat for just this reason in the future.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Brian, you got all the answers Guess you don't need my help anymore
Old 08-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 43Thunder
Damn Brian, you got all the answers Guess you don't need my help anymore
Depends. Can you fix an outdrive????

5500 lb. 26' boat; single 500EFI, Bravo1 (plain jane)= NO DRIVE ISSUES.
9500 lb. 37' boat, twin 496HOs, Bravo1 XZs = BROKEN DRIVE AGAIN.

Quick Reply: water leak

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.