Oil Changes

Notices

Oil Changes

Old 06-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Changes

Does anyone change their own oil???

If so, what is the process and what is the buy oil pump to purchase and where.

TY

Mike
Old 06-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Best way is to buy and install the oil pan drain tube kits from Mercury. Install them in place of your oil pan drain plugs, and the hoses can extend out your bilge holes and you drain your oil from there. When you suck oil out the dipstick, you still leave 1/2-3/4 of a quart of dirty oil in the pan.

When you are not draining oil, the tubes have solid brass plugs, and they do not leak. They stay stored under the engines.

What engines do you have? The 525EFI and 496s come with these factory installed. I retrofitted a kit to my old 500EFI and it worked great.

This setup is the money for oil changes.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, drain hoses. If you can get at the drain plug. I'll have to wait until I pull the motors. If you can't rig the drain hoses, best way is to use the drill mount pump down the dip stick or one of those electric pumps. Be sure the oil is hot, if cool to cold, pumps have a hard time getting the oil to flow well. I've also used the hand pump canisters that create a vacumn. I put it on the floor behind the boat, fed hose up through drain plug then into dipstick. Once pumped enough to get oil to flow, since canister is lower than motor, oil will siphon out until empty, but it takes a while.

Oil filter removal. Loosen filter slightly. Put a plastic bag around filter and remove. Bag will catch oil as it flows out.

Another tip sort of off subject for winterizing eaze. Getting the drain plug off oil cooler is a pain. I purchased brass fittings at hardward store that replaced the oil cooler drain plug. new fitting screwed in and on other end has hose barb fitting, hooked a hose to it and ran it forward in the bilge. End of hose in front of bilge also has a brass close plug fitting. Now it takes seconds to open them to drain the oil coolers.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You change oil ??? What's that??