Help with sonic step plate.. >

Help with sonic step plate..

Notices

Help with sonic step plate..

Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim, Brian is correct, you will find a zerk with a plastic cap on the outside of your transom assembly, there are also a couple of zerks on your u-joints (when you pull your drive), additionally you will find 2 zerks inside your engine compartment for the coupler. These will be located where the drive-shaft from the outdrive is visible at the transom. There are 2 depending on which one is accessable for your grease gun. You only have to grease one of them and be sparing on the grease, 2 or 3 pumps is adequete, or you'll be slinging grease around your engine compartment. Use the Mercury sline and coupler grease(available at your dealer). Did you find any increase in performance with the Imco shorty, how much did you raise your drive and with what results. I have a 26 Prowler also with a 525 EFI. Steve
Old 01-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Steve. I Did not use the shorty. I think I may have messed up. Im new to power boats and
So many people told me that the shorty would through the (I think they called it the X dem) out. And the boat would not
Work at high speeds. Not knowing for sure and I didnt want to have a unit that I could not use, I ended up putting the stock
length imco on. Does this sound right to you all?
I think it slowed the boat 1mph. The power it takes to turn
the bigger parts in the imco unit. I was looking for 2mph gain
because the nosecone design. All this started when I ordered
a nose cone and pulled it out of the box and kinda set it up to the bravo-one and it looked a little funny and the low water pick up was wrong. So then I started looking at the imco replacements. Do you people think I should
Try a imco shorty? I can tell you that the cmi headers picked
it up 5mph (gps) That was Great.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

/////////
Attached Thumbnails Help with sonic step plate..-dsc01336.jpg   Help with sonic step plate..-dsc01925.jpg  
Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim, A 5 MPH gain by switching to the CMI's is great! What GPS speeds are you seeing currently? As far as the lower unit I'm no expert, some boats will definitely benefit from shortening the lower case (which gives the same result as raising your X-dimension). Unfortunately it's a trial and error thing. Imco sells their lowers in different lengths (1" shorter,2" shorter) then you can space them back down by 1/2" increments to obtain the ideal location. It's always a give and take thing, raise your lower and go faster but getting on plane will be harder! I know Sonic set up some Prowlers with the ITS transom assemblies with the 500 EFI engine. The ITS combines Mercury hydraulic steering with a set-back of around 8". I don't know if Sonic changed the x-dimension for those boats from the standard location. Has anyone tried a shorty on a standard Bravo Prowler and with what results? Tim, you'll definitely like those step plates from Eddies, much nicer than the plastic "dirt magnets". Steve
Old 01-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve. I need to find someone that has a shorty that I can test with. I will Have to keep my eyes open around the lake and
see what people have laying around. As for speed it runs
66-67 with 1/2 or more fuel, all supplys, 2 people.
496 ho mag. 150 unit, 24 4blade. I think @ 4900 rpm.
The boat is very heavy. Its worth it to have all the room that the prowler offers. I would like the boat to run 75 or 80 but
im not sure if theres enough hull there. I think you would run out of boat. What top speeds are you prowler owners getting?
Timmy.