Strange Smell >

Strange Smell

Notices

Strange Smell

Old 05-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Smell

Bought my 26 last year, and right off the bat I noticed this strange smell coming from the head.

I wasnt sure what it was. At first I thought it was the port-o potty. I took it out, cleaned it, put it back in. Still the smell was there. almost smelled like urine.

I noticed the smell more when I opened up the access panel behind the dash/insided the head.

So if figured, great!!! Someone must have taking a piss, missed the toilet, it drained down in to the floor of the head, and into the bilge.

I poored all kinds of cleaners down there, and scrubbed the heck out of the head.

Smell still there!!!!

did something die inside my boat that I cant find?????

So I bought a chartplotter/GPS for the boat to replace my handheld gps. I place it on the top of the helm to the right of the compass. I removed the compass so I could drill a hole for the power/data cable.

As I removed the compass, that smell hit me again. 10 fold!!!!

There is a piece of thin wood, that looks like its a part of the headliner in the head. its all rotted to hell!!!

Looks like someone forgot to silicone under the compass ring and over time it leaked and rotted the wood.

My wife said, "so how do we fix it"
I replied, spend a lot of money.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 PM

WOW!! I guess I need to pull out my compass to take a look....
Old 05-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rangerrick63
WOW!! I guess I need to pull out my compass to take a look....
Rick your ok.......No worries....The only water around that area was the soapy kind followed by a nice terry cloth towel....and some wax.....

And just to make you feel better........She always had two covers on her.....or in a big'ol building...
Attached Thumbnails Strange Smell-sonic-full-cover-005.jpg   Strange Smell-6.5.06-misc-009.jpg  

Last edited by creeper; 05-22-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Well, the windscreen on the Sonics have been know to leak for a long time. They put a piece of weatherstrip around them, but no silicone or caulk. That's probably what did you in. I don't remember the access to the back of the dash, but can you get to anything?

You might have some luck pulling the dash panel off as well.

"45Sonic" may have some advice for you.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Well, the windscreen on the Sonics have been know to leak for a long time. They put a piece of weatherstrip around them, but no silicone or caulk. That's probably what did you in. I don't remember the access to the back of the dash, but can you get to anything?

You might have some luck pulling the dash panel off as well.

"45Sonic" may have some advice for you.
Wow, thats intesting. I never heard that before. Thanks for the info Sydwayz.

After I bought the boat, Ive kept in under a full cover and it has seen little rain without it on. So I may have slowed down the rotting.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Registered

Ricks sonic 1998 was caulked from factory,and there is a lip it sat in.and if I remember currectly the compass is raised...

Rick I hope you dont mind me post pics of you boat....
Attached Thumbnails Strange Smell-10.22.06-168.jpg   Strange Smell-10.22.06-169.jpg  

Last edited by creeper; 05-22-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by creeper
Ricks sonic 1998 was caulked from factory,and there is a lip it sat in.and if I remember currectly the compass is raised...
Yes, mine is set up the same way. Minus the caulk/silicone bead around the compass and the screws holding it in.

the previous owner only used the cockpit cover when storing the boat.

Since he bought the boat used, who knows how well it was taken care of before....
Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Rick your ok.......No worries....The only water around that area was the soapy kind followed by a nice terry cloth towel....and some wax.....

And just to make you feel better........She always had two covers on her.....or in a big'ol building...
Thanks Bill...
I'll put the screwdriver away now....
I do have to admit, everytime I'm in the boat, I realize just how well you took care of her....Don't worry she still is being taken care of quite well...
Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 PM

Rick I hope you dont mind me post pics of you boat....
Not at all....Post away...
I do need to get a few pics of it out at the islands....Maybe I'll just have to do that this weekend....
Old 05-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rangerrick63
Not at all....Post away...
I do need to get a few pics of it out at the islands....Maybe I'll just have to do that this weekend....
Great I'd love to see some pic of her from down south...

I'm so bad I went down to the marina to wash and clean my new girl up, again...and stock with goodies for the weekend(Buy the way my first wash of this year was 3/10...Then drove home for a stupid wedding sat....And as soon as my fork hits the plate with the last bit were goooooooooooonnnnnnnnneeeeeeeee.....

Oh well I have a problem......

Rick have fun this weekend be safe and take some pic's...........Bill

Quick Reply: Strange Smell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.