No reverse >

No reverse

Notices

No reverse

Old 06-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face No reverse

I finally put the boat in the water. After a few weeks replacing manifolds and risers, all filters and a few fluids, new plugs and so on, backed the trailer into the water, started the boat, and low and behold, NO REVERSE. AFter several attempts, it finally went, took her for a nice run (felt great) and back to the lift and again, NO REVERSE. I know there are several possibles, but does anyone have a suggestion on what to check first? It is a 26 prowler with a 502 MPI.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure your shift cable is in good order and working, also shifter itself. Otherwise your into the drive itself.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bstasch
I finally put the boat in the water. After a few weeks replacing manifolds and risers, all filters and a few fluids, new plugs and so on, backed the trailer into the water, started the boat, and low and behold, NO REVERSE. AFter several attempts, it finally went, took her for a nice run (felt great) and back to the lift and again, NO REVERSE. I know there are several possibles, but does anyone have a suggestion on what to check first? It is a 26 prowler with a 502 MPI.
We had one hell of a time putting my bravo 1 drive back on. The shift lever has to be in reverse when placing the drive back on. It should push the cable and lever into neutral when the drive is completely on.

Did you take your drive off and pull your engine when replacing all your parts?
Did you move your shift bracket housing?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Yup, sounds like the cable not in place. I hope thats all it is. Good Luck!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LordStanley74
We had one hell of a time putting my bravo 1 drive back on. The shift lever has to be in reverse when placing the drive back on. It should push the cable and lever into neutral when the drive is completely on.

Did you take your drive off and pull your engine when replacing all your parts?
Did you move your shift bracket housing?
Hey LordStanley, this is the second time you've responded with advice (GLM manifolds, retorqued to 40 and prob solved), thank you. No, I did not pull the engine or drive, and prob is only intermittent, I believe the folks that responded concerning cable and bracket are correct. I noticed that one of the bolts that hold bracket to riser is not tight, too long. I am replacing with shorter bolt or even stack a washer and try again. Thanks GO4BROKE & hp500efi.

Last edited by bstasch; 06-10-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bstasch
Hey LordStanley, this is the second time you've responded with advice (GLM manifolds, retorqued to 40 and prob solved), thank you. No, I did not pull the engine or drive, and prob is only intermittent, I believe the folks that responded concerning cable and bracket are correct. I noticed that one of the bolts that hold bracket to riser is not tight, too long. I am replacing with shorter bolt or even stack a washer and try again. Thanks GO4BROKE & hp500efi.
Not a problem!!! We pretty much did the same thing to our rigs this year. I was lucky that the previous owner had mounted the shift braket on the transom. So that was one less thing I had to worry about.

Did you notice a RPM, HP or speed gain after your tweaking, during the first run???
Old 06-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Registered

Not a problem!!! We pretty much did the same thing to our rigs this year. I was lucky that the previous owner had mounted the shift braket on the transom. So that was one less thing I had to worry about.

Did you notice a RPM, HP or speed gain after your tweaking, during the first run???
Yes I did. A little more MPH at a little less RPM at cruising speed and did see 65 on the speedo again. Definately can feel a bit more torque.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered

Hey Bstasch,

Do you have a GPS/chartplotter?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Registered

LordStanley, unfortunately, no i do not have a GPS. On the list of many things to update or buy. Why do you ask, speed?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Registered

I forgot to ask earlier, what is involved in relocting shift plate to the transom. I did find that mine was loose and after tightening, I have reverse. But once in a while, I need to really push the shifter down to get it to go, it must be an adjustment and after reading what that is like, I need some special tools or mor eknowledge.

Quick Reply: No reverse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.