Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
Best props for a 31ss >

Best props for a 31ss

Notices

Best props for a 31ss

Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim has GPS in the dash. It's installed in place of the speedo.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm so frustrated! In preparation for my prop testing, I decided to buy a set of stock Bravo 28's. I tried to make a deal on a used set with an OSO member, but he completely refused to take paypal. His price wasn't that great, anyway. So, I ordered a brand new set from an online site. A couple of weeks went by after my credit card was charged and no props. I start asking for a tracking number. "They've been shipped" is the response I get, but no tracking number. Another week goes by and I finally get a tracking number. They shipped yesterday right from Mercury in Wisconsin and they showed up today. I was excited because I was planning to take Friday off and hit the river for some testing. I open the LH prop box and all is good. I open the RH box and it's got a fricken 30P in a 28P box! If this type of thing was rare, I'd shrug it off. But, I think that 50% of the stuff I buy online is f'd up somehow.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I think I get my best service frome ebay. People are worried about their feedback.
I got fantastic service from Teague for a prop. Threw an ear on Sunday, had new prop thursday, from California. Price was good and Bob himself answered my call.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Registered

Yea, I saw Teague's ad in the back of Powerboat Mag selling Bravos for $459 and wished I had bought there. But, it was already too late. Oh well, I'll go there next time after I get some exhaust and need bigger props.

These props shipped right from Mercury, so it's really their fault. One was packaged wrong.

Last edited by Plum_Crazy; 04-16-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Registered

I never received my stock RH 28P prop in time for today's testing. But, of course, it was on my doorstep when I got home. However, I did receive a set of labbed 30P Bravos to borrow. A friend went along to help out and was onboard all day. We got to the St. Croix River at about 11AM after an hour plus drive. It was only 50 degrees when we arrived, but the temp climbed to 60 by the last of 3 different tests we ran today. Fuel was showing 3/4 tank at the start of the first test as I added plenty of fresh fuel on the way.

#1 Mercury labbed 28's spinning out - 3/4 tank

Previous best through mufflers last year was 74.1 MPH with only 1/4 tank. Changes since then were turn-downs with internal flappers, changed 1/8" toe-in to 1/16" toe-out, and updated ECM programs.
Results:
76.2 Downriver
74.2 Upriver
75.2 Average @ 5050 RPM

#2 Unknown labbed 30's spinning out - between 3/4 and 1/2 tank

This one was not what I expected!
Results:
73.8 Downriver
72.8 Upriver
73.3 Average @ 4800 RPM

#3 Mercury labbed 28's spinning in - just above 1/2 tank
Conditions changed quite a bit already for this test as it came after a lengthy stop with the boat for lunch. Wind was 10-15 MPH for the first two tests and created 8-10" chop. However, the wind died down and there was only a light ripple, now. Plus, the temp was up 10 degrees. Still, the results were far lower than expected.
Results:
75.0 Downriver
74.2 Upriver
74.6 Average @ 5000 RPM

Given that the conditions were partially to blame for a loss in test #3, I was expecting to run at least as fast as test #1. Since I didn't, I don't believe spinning in was beneficial at all for my boat. I didn't experience any of the negative effects I read so much about like poor dock handling or a loose feeling at speed. It really didn't seem much different at all. In fact, the only difference was this setup required less trim out by 1.

While the boat is definitely improved over last fall, I'm still a little disappointed with my numbers. I was hoping to try removing the turbulators today, but we ran out of time. Hopefully, there are still some gains there.

One thing I've wondered about is the copper Perko clamshell water pickup under the boat for the A/C. Is there a pickup with less drag?

Last edited by Plum_Crazy; 04-22-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Z06
Registered

Nice documentation after a fun day. Test #3 is not what I expected either. If it required 1 less on trim, seems like it was getting more bow lift but it didn't seem to help speed. I wonder if it was effected by the drive toe adjusted to toe out? Although as you mentioned and stated in your Drive toe thread other external factors are probably more relevant. I find your results quite interesting. I also wish your stock 28 would have arrived on time for the test. Now you need to run test #1 again before doing the test with stock 28 props turning out and then possibly in...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

yes the test with stock 28's is what i"m interested in.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Did you test time to get on a plane with the different props?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by myturn
Did you test time to get on a plane with the different props?
No, I always take it very easy getting on plane. So, to me, they mostly seemed the same. I'm sure the stock 28's will bite a little better, though.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26sonic
yes the test with stock 28's is what i"m interested in.
I will be running these the next time out, but with the turbulators removed. So, it won't really be apples to apples.

Quick Reply: Best props for a 31ss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.